Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or does anyone else feels a little worry when setting the kickstand? I have a 14 Street Glide and every time I place it on the kickstand, it seem like it is not going forward enough. Has anyone had one fall due to this?:biking:

·
Registered
803 Posts
If this is your first Harley then I would say yes this is normal. If you have owned Harleys before and this one does not seem like the others you may want to have the dealer look at it. Metric cruisers swing to a more forward position because they do not have a locking mechanism on them like the harley.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
trust it, it will not fail you.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
It will scare the crap out of you for a solid year. My wife still freaks. ..

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
It will scare the crap out of you for a solid year. My wife still freaks. ..
I still freak when I am on the right side of the bike gently letting it down off of my yellow jack--and that's after, before lowering the bike, I went around and MADE SURE the jiffy stand was fully extended.

·
Registered
577 Posts
NEVER get off mine until I KNOW it is set. Trust it, but still better safe than REAL sorry, not including it'd be rather embarrassing... lol

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
There is a tab on the kickstand that when fully extended fits in a slot to lock it. See attached picture. No falling off the kickstand, or jiffystand as HD calls it. Its a good system, works well.

It is also the only downside to owning a Harley. Sorry, I did that joke before.

·
Registered
147 Posts
last week at the demo rides at harley sturgis I was sitting on cvo ultra waiting to pull out when a girl on a '14 street glide sitting in front of me must have forgot something - she did not try to put the kick stand down she just got off the bike and it went over - three guys dove for it but it just sat on engine guard no damage - she got her cell phone they put her back on the bike - I followed behind her thru the course she road slow but nearly fell over at every stop it was way too much bike for her.

·
Sarcastic Member
35 Posts
last week at the demo rides at harley sturgis I was sitting on cvo ultra waiting to pull out when a girl on a '14 street glide sitting in front of me must have forgot something - she did not try to put the kick stand down she just got off the bike and it went over - three guys dove for it but it just sat on engine guard no damage - she got her cell phone they put her back on the bike - I followed behind her thru the course she road slow but nearly fell over at every stop it was way too much bike for her.
Way too much bike...........or beer?
:spew

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
The way the HD jiffy stand is designed is great, yet I've been riding them since I was a pup and still hold my toe against the stand as I lean it over. My mind knows the dam thing works great, but trust in it, I do not.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Best kickstand made . As long as there is weight on it you can't push it off the stand . Crash bars are also the best in the business , the bike just leans over on them , usually without any damage to anything . I've never had mine down but I have a friend that quit counting how many times he's dumped his and has never damaged it . Most of the time he's in his drive way , short guy , probably weighs 140 lbs . Sounds strange I know .

·
Registered
42 Posts
The way the HD jiffy stand is designed is great, yet I've been riding them since I was a pup and still hold my toe against the stand as I lean it over. My mind knows the dam thing works great, but trust in it, I do not.
That is the right way. Hold it forward and then lean it over.
It will not fail.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
That is the right way. Hold it forward and then lean it over.
It will not fail.
Yep Yep hold it forward. Old FXR rider buddy dropped his by not doing that. I must have heard him tell me that dozen times when I bought my Softail. Finally made a point of pointing at it when deploying it. Gives me a one finger salute when I occasionally do it now...:)

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
If this is your first Harley then I would say yes this is normal. If you have owned Harleys before and this one does not seem like the others you may want to have the dealer look at it. Metric cruisers swing to a more forward position because they do not have a locking mechanism on them like the harley.
I learned something new. I didn't know it locks. Checked it out today. Son of a gun, it does lock!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts