Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I took my scoot up to the Harley dealer and had them put a new set of grips on it (yeah, I'm that useless). Didn't really pay attention to anything when I got on the bike after the deed was done.

When I got on the bike tonight to go to work, I cranked it up, and I noticed red flashing light behind me (I have a backoff brake module hooked up to the brake light). I was NOT pulling on the brake lever, or pressing the brake pedal.

What are the odds that:

1) The service people screwed something up...

and

2) They will take responsibility and fix it if they did?

By the way, my bike is an 09 Night Train with 3400 miles on it, and it's been treated very gently.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
39,576 Posts
Theres a plunger in the right switch housing that activates the brake light. Pressed in, it shuts off the brake light, released activates it.

I imagine that the dealer didn't get it put back together quite right when they installed the grips.
Hopefully they didn't break the nub off when they put it together.

Have a look at this vid, it explains how it works.

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theres a plunger in the right switch housing that activates the brake light. Pressed in, it shuts off the brake light, released activates it.

I imagine that the dealer didn't get it put back together quite right when they installed the grips.
Hopefully they didn't break the nub off when they put it together.

Have a look at this vid, it explains how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2G_UOkAs2E
Argghhh!!!

I'm on a gov't puter right now and can't watch the vid!! I'll be anticipating until I get home. THANKS A LOT!! :think

Seriously, is it something that somebody who installs his windshield brackets backward would be able to do himself?

·
Registered
39,576 Posts

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kewl. Thanks.

Of course if it's broke, it would be only fair that the dealer should fix it, right?

BTW, can you tell I'm bored? Truthfully though, in my line of work, boredom is a good thing.

·
Registered
39,576 Posts
Of course if it's broke, it would be only fair that the dealer should fix it, right?
Yup! That should have been checked before it left the stall in the shop!

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep! The only thing I disagree with him on is the use of circlip pliers.
He says to use a small screw driver to remove the circlip.
Yeah it works, but it scratches up the paint on the lever mount.

You can get by using a small screw driver, but circlip pliers are a good investment, don't cost that much.
I use ones similar to this one
Professional Retaining Ring Pliers Internal/External: Get a Grip at Sears
Just so happens I bought a set a couple of weeks ago. Was going to use them to change my footpegs, but even the smallest one was too big for the job (at least with my abilities).

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Totally off topic...I just saw something funny.

There was a banner ad for Star Motorcycles on the main page of the forum!

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Just so happens I bought a set a couple of weeks ago. Was going to use them to change my footpegs, but even the smallest one was too big for the job (at least with my abilities).
The holes in the circlip for the brake lever pin are tiny. You may even have to file down the smallest size plier tips you have.

--

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
hahahaha Dave, dig the "sleepy" avatar!

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
:)

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
If they installed the grips, they broke the switch. Personally I wouldn't touch anything, I would take it back and show them, and have them make it right.

·
Registered
811 Posts
If they installed the grips, they broke the switch. Personally I wouldn't touch anything, I would take it back and show them, and have them make it right.

I agree. If you tear into it, there out could be well you did it. If you don't touch it had to be them. And I'd hurry back soon as possible. The more time goes by, well it just broke from use or wore out

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
You should have first gone back to the dealer and given them the chance to make it right.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
They not only need to fix yours but they need to know they're making mistakes so they can correct that to.

The devils in the details sometimes.

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CONSITTER ......your a funny guy ! You made me laugh my a*% off ! Your why I love this forum . (counting thugs)
Thank you...thankyaverymuch! It's what I do 3 times every night. :)

I am here to entertain! You can call me Scott.

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You should have first gone back to the dealer and given them the chance to make it right.
I'm with Stang's on this! Take it back to them! Do not call them! Take it back ASAP! And talk to the service manager!
They not only need to fix yours but they need to know they're making mistakes so they can correct that to.

The devils in the details sometimes.
Progress report...

Looked at the vid...said 'Nope. Not gonna try it."

Called the dealership, spoke to the service guy I talked to on Friday...he said to bring it in at my earliest convenience and they would get it taken care of. Very nice guy. He apologized like 5 times before we got off the phone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts