Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Cruising thru life..
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started riding 5 years ago because I got a 99 Honda Shadow as part of a business deal. At first I was going to sell the bike but after riding it a couple times I was hooked. I spent the next couple of years making it my own and putting many-a-mile on it. I also became a member of the Shadow forum to get tips and tricks for my ride.
Heres the deal... every so often there was a thread started that either bashed Harleys or the owners of Harleys. I never really paid it much attention because I was busy fixing oil and water leaks on my Honda.
Earlier this year I inherited a 96 Fatboy. Personally I find the Fatboy to be a much better ride then the Honda was in the way it handles, the power, and better fuel economy.
I still own the Honda because I can't seem to find a buyer, so I am still a member of the Shadow furom. When I see Harley bashing on the forum I tend to get defensive.
How do you deal with those that are jealous bashers?

·
American
28,694 Posts
Welcome, and ignore the HD bashing. Just count how many HD's vs. all others on the road!

·
The dude abides
238 Posts
The 'other make/model/owner' bashing comes in all flavors. I've been playing with / modifying cars since 1992, and when interested in a particular vehicle I've sought out enthusiast forums regarding that vehicle. The bashing is constant. Ford vs Chevy. Toyota vs Mitsubishi. Subaru vs Toyota. Dodge vs Ford. Harley vs Honda vs Indian vs Suzuki vs Victory vs Yahama.

It just comes with the territory - most owners take pride in their vehicle(s) and IMNSHO tend to want to promote said vehicle(s). Part of the game. Getting offended by something that's said or suggested by a stranger regarding whatever my current interest is, well, that's silly. I've no need to get butt hurt, nor do I feel the need to defend my choices. They are *my* choices, I chose because it's what interests me.

If you're happy with your decision, why let someone else's opinion (or jealousy?) rain on your parade. Ride with pride and ignore the trolls.

·
luv the low country
20,328 Posts
I just blow it off, it doesn't matter. I don't care what a person rides as long as they are having fun, cause fact, I'm having the time of my life.:nod

·
rdhollem
1 Posts
I rode a sportster before I got married 41 years ago, no bikes for 40 yrs, so when a turned 60 last year I decided it was time to ride again. Bought a honda vtx since it was close to the size and type bike I wanted at a good price, '06 with 2700 miles. Put 7000 miles on it and traded for a 05 heritage. Best reason for the honda was low cost, h-d ~ double cost, but does retain used values better, especially after 10 years.

Liked my honda, but h-d has better balance and handling. My hands would be tingling after 20 minurtes on the vtx, but not after hrs on the h-d. My biggest concern was not the initial cost difference, but the upkeep which i stillhave mixed feelings on....

Ride what you like. I'm just suprised at the number of people that have bikes with lesss than 1,000 miles/year on the odometer and are experts.

·
RIP Michael
86 Posts
Ride what you like. I try not to bash anyone for their likes. Individuality is what makes as interesting as people. I have a 13 Road Glide and an 11 Hayabusa. I have put far more miles on the Harley, but I have to admit it is quite a thrill to take the Busa out on occasion.

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
They make Hondas to keep the azzholes off of Harleys.

Reactions: a1347 and JTJ

·
Semper Fi!
52 Posts
I have a 2010 Road King and a 1987 Honda Gold Wing. Loved the gold wing, until I got the Road King in July. Still like the Gold Wing, but it doesn't compare to the King! The Wing does have a ton of storage and riding in the hills it runs circles around harleys (at least it did when I took it to Sturgis this year) but the way I sit in the King is MUCH more comfortable that the Wing. I have bad knees and back problems, but I can ride all day on the King, if I'm on the wing, I have to stop every 80 miles and move around, on the King I can stop, gas up and get back on the road, it's a beautiful thing.

·
Cruising thru life..
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They make Hondas to keep the azzholes off of Harleys.
I'm begining to think thats true. Whats funny is when people bash HDs the first thing mentioned is the oil leaking. My 99 Honda VT1100C3 has an inherent oil leak out of the guide pin plug. It required a 5hr fix. Also all the V-twin Hondas are prone to a coolant leak from a crossover tube between the cylinders. I've been towed home three times on that bike.
My 96 FLSTF has had zero issues and no leaks to date.
Guess I'll just learn to ignore their rhetoric and enjoy my Fatboy. :bike-038:

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
...I still own the Honda because I can't seem to find a buyer,...
:think That seem`s to say something right there.

No matter what the Riders of other brands say. For the most part they are throw away motorcycles.

I see people suggesting buying an import to learn before getting their first Harley.
Have never heard it the other way around. :dunno

That may change with the new 500 though.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,788 Posts
I'd laugh it off.Might be hard to convey that laugh over the internet :laughing

Back in the day as a teen and early twenties my friends and I were busy tryin to kill ourselves doing crazy stunts on our crotchrockets (not really, but some did) Most of us just liked motorcycles and our elders rode Harleys and all was good, but I did meet several other crotchrocketeers that seemed like they had some deep seeded hate for Harleys and even go as far as the Harley riders. I don't know if some Harley guys back in the day laughed at them on their crotchrocket or what??:eek-surprise

But if I had a ten bucks for every person in my life that said their kawa suzi yama or what ever bike was the chit and they wouldn't have a harley if gave to them...........but eventually owning a Harley and swearing Allegiance to Harley-Davidson. I could've bought a chit load of chrome by now
:grin

·
Registered
922 Posts
Smile to yourself knowingly:nod
Those who grumble or bash have less joy in their lives then those who don't. I've read a lot of threads in my 9 months or so on this forum and haven't seen any of that about other brands here. Seems to me we have joy in our rides. That should be all you need! :bike-038:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Until Eric Buell came along, there was sportbikes, which handled and went really quick and fast, and then there was Harley's that cruised, had looks and sound, but no power and not corner carving handling. so, it had to do with what crowd you grew up with as to which type of riding you did. My riding stretches many decades, and didn't get my first cruiser till last fall. I got a Suzuki M109R which is a monster for running, but not quite the bike for 2 up cruising as it wanted to run and run hard. Got my first Harley, and my first brand new bike this August, and I love it. I did of course have to "make it mine", and it seems the wallet is constantly looking for ways to get emptied.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
I wont stop long enough to read or listen to bashing. I've had 5 bikes of different makers. The last 2 have been Harleys. I bought my first Harley, new, in 1968. And wont change brands.

I think the bashing comes from a sense of inferiority that must be buoyed up. But that's the only 20 seconds I'll spend thinking about it.

I couldn't care less about what someone else thinks about Harley. All I have to do is please ME.

And I'm still thrilled with mine.

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Stopped in for gas at a local station. Rather than run card, I just walk in and pay cash. As Im coming in a woman says. Sir what are you riding? I said a Harley. There was a pause of silence as a few other customers and clerks looked at me. I added is there any other kind of bike? Got a few laughs.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts