Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Such is life. You wait for the very best deal and the one you want is sold or you buy the one you want and enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Anybody else buy a bike and within thirty days see the interest rate drop from Harley?
Anybody else buy a bike and within 30 days see the interest rate increase from Harley?

It's called market forces. No one at the Finance department is just waiting for you to buy so they can screw you with a rate drop after the fact.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I got 5.99% in 2012 from Harley. Depends on your credit score and bike selected. But right now Harley has select bikes for 0.99%. Was at the Dealer Yesterday, big party going on out front for hours. Went inside. If someone would have asked if I wanted to upgrade and given me a quote on a trade-in. I'd probably would have done it. I was in the mood. I'm looking at either getting a RK or Street Glide. Long story short. Not one person talked to me and so I bought a windshield bag and left. I'm the kind of guy that It takes me forever to make up my mind to make a big purchase. Then if I can't right away, when I finally decide, I usually end up waiting another 6 months or so.

·
Registered
12,074 Posts
I didn't finance through Harley, they wanted 22% interest. Went to my bank and got 5%.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
22%? Are you serious? The fact that your bank gave you 5% verifies your credit rating isn't too bad. For ANY dealer to quote 22% interest is not only ridiculous but puts them in the same category as pawn shops and those weekly quick loan ripoff artists.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
dealers tack on extra % on the finance and let you think they gave you a deal on the price-
seen car dealers do it for years - the best thing to do islet them think they are doing the finance and then get it else where-

its a real snake move on there part so i have no issues being a snake back

·
Super Moderator
5,215 Posts
I got 4.9% from Harely Finance, same as my bank offered. Always get multiple quotes and make sure each knows you are shopping around. They will compete for your buisness.

·
Registered
147 Posts
bought a '14 limited got a deal $1500 off from a dealer 500 miles from my home. my cu advertises all over town on billboards 2.49% on auto loans so I went in planned to put down 10k finance the diff for 5 years and pay it off in 2. their rate for motorcycles which is considered a recreational vehicle is 4.75%. harley dealer told me I could get 3.99% with no fees or penaltys and can pay it off anytime so I went with harley finance. got my first bill last month $374 ($234 toward principle $140 interest) I thought there was a mistake so I called harley finance they explained there is a formula like when you buy a house you pay all the interest upfront and mostly principle at end of loan period so I am paying 38% interest for now even when it will be 3.99% over 5 years - I called credit union they also have a formula but I would be paying about 6% to start out so this would have been a much smarter option since I will be paying it off in 2 years or so. a friend told me harley will offer me deals to trade up and refinance after a year or so to keep me at the high rate - so watch the formula will bite you in the ass like an aligator in the road - it was never mentioned to me how it works.

·
Registered
12,074 Posts
bought a '14 limited got a deal $1500 off from a dealer 500 miles from my home. my cu advertises all over town on billboards 2.49% on auto loans so I went in planned to put down 10k finance the diff for 5 years and pay it off in 2. their rate for motorcycles which is considered a recreational vehicle is 4.75%. harley dealer told me I could get 3.99% with no fees or penaltys and can pay it off anytime so I went with harley finance. got my first bill last month $374 ($234 toward principle $140 interest) I thought there was a mistake so I called harley finance they explained there is a formula like when you buy a house you pay all the interest upfront and mostly principle at end of loan period so I am paying 38% interest for now even when it will be 3.99% over 5 years - I called credit union they also have a formula but I would be paying about 6% to start out so this would have been a much smarter option since I will be paying it off in 2 years or so. a friend told me harley will offer me deals to trade up and refinance after a year or so to keep me at the high rate - so watch the formula will bite you in the ass like an aligator in the road - it was never mentioned to me how it works.
That sucks! But like they say and we have all heard it, read the fine print before signing. They advertise the rate but, unless you ask, they don't disclose the shady details.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Pretty sure it is simple interest

·
need mods
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thx for all the responses. Yes I looked at refinancing and can't get a much better rate. I love the bike and I will go with what I have for now but will try to be a little smarter next time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts