Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here listens to the Harley Davison podcast? The latest episode shows just how much they lost touch with not only their fan base but their products. I have never seen a company put down its products or it’s fans like Harley just did. They called a sportster the one to be big boy bike. That was your bread and butter for years and years and years. They called people who like the FXR fan boys this is from the ceo of the company. What was he thinking making these remarks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
American
28,146 Posts
I’ve never cared much what a CEO says. He is pandering to stockholders. Most are just political hacks anymore. I would rather listen to the local shop guys. But that is just me. Not like anyone is going to change my opinion. HD can do whatever they want just like any other business.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Never listened to the HD podcast and by the sounds of it - never will. But I do pay attention to my local dealer, parts guys, and mechanics -- seems they care more for me and other customers than those at the top.

·
V-Twin Junkie
775 Posts
The new CEO, though a savvy businessman, is not what I would call a motorcyclist, but rather a different sort of visionary, brought in to shift the company paradigm. Not sure he'll manage, but the company has drifted off center for years, so if he finds a way to bring sustainability to the company portfolio, he'll have served his purpose.

·
Super Moderator
13,043 Posts
I might be wrong, but I am 90% sure the '16 was my last new Harley. It's got 47k mostly trouble free miles on it.

Next one will likely be another EVO bagger. Get back to a carb and a tool roll that can fix anything.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,826 Posts
Roy, gotta agree. These things have gotten way too complex for the average garage mech. I miss the days when I actually had a clue and felt like I knew what I was doing when I did maintenance.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
I agree 100%
With Darryl.
I know for a fact this 14 is my last one for many reasons.
I’ve had 7 my wife had had 2.
We both feel the same way.
I had 3 Evo’s and fixed them myself if an when something happened.
Something happens on the road you don’t stand a chance.
But to call a dealer to come an get it.
IF their open.
I just want a motorcycle not Cadillac on wheels.
Even though about selling this one an buy an 90’s Evo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
weird member
2,809 Posts
I might be wrong, but I am 90% sure the '16 was my last new Harley. It's got 47k mostly trouble free miles on it.

Next one will likely be another EVO bagger. Get back to a carb and a tool roll that can fix anything.
An EVO FXR is at the top of my want list for the next bike.
Never mind you can get an Evo to keep up with modern bikes to some degree, S&S makes an Evo 124" crate motor that'll fit even in the softails, if you got enough money.

An 80" Evo with the right work can go to 100 HP, maybe more but up to at least 95 HP without reliability issues. And not that there's anything wrong with a TC, but an Evo is so much easier of a platform to work on.

But, I might be a little biased.

That said, I am excited about the Revolution Max engine. Just the general idea, that's the direction to go for more power (over square, OHC, liquid cooled etc). The only way to reach the same power potential with an air-cooled, under-square overhead valve pushrod engine, is to significantly increase it's size and weight. But that's just about power. I imagine it would be a nightmare to work on for your average home mech.

But at the same time, I generally ascribe to a "simple is better" or "only make it as complex as is necessary" type philosophy. More complexity = more points of potential failure. Take my 2009 CRV for example, it's currently down because some redundant safety feature is broken, which renders it completely unusable. There's a transmission position sensor that, if it doesn't detect the transmission in park, it won't let you turn it all the way off and remove the key, and there's no override. So even though it is in park mechanically, the sensor doesn't register it as so, so the only way to turn it off and remove the key, is to disconnect the battery. Now, I haven't looked under it yet, but it is hopefully the sensor itself gone bad rather than a broken arm off of the transmission that activates the sensor.

Or take modern cars in general. A/C compressor seizes up? You don't just lose the A/C, you also potentially ruin the belt, the alternator, the starter, etc. You can't just run the car as a car without A/C. Radio wire shorts out? Well now the car won't run, just stalls and dies at idle, so you can't just run it as a car with no radio. Etc.

But there is an appeal to me in both directions, for different reasons. If you could do all the modern power stuff and modern engines with FI and everything else but make them more simple and easier for your at home mech or road-side fixing, that would be ideal, like if you could work it at home and not need a shop computer with proprietary software, etc.

I can't say about the M8s how they are to work on with regards to the engine, if you have ABS that's something very difficult to do yourself. I have no experience with them and FI stuff.

As far as "touring" bikes, I only have ever been interested in two: an FXRT, or one of the M8 Road King Specials (but not the standard RK). If I was made of money, I would get an M8 RKS with Harley performance upgrades but keeping it mild and using it only for trips, and then using a heavily performance worked Evo (more so than mine is) as my daily rider.

·
Former Lurker
3,420 Posts
I hear what you guys are saying about liking the older stuff, but my 19 is one hell of a lot nicer to ride and less hassle than any of my older ones were... (So far..., same with the last few...)

·
old scoot coot
4,497 Posts
why would anyone buy a new geezer glide? so many slick low mileage used ones out there for half the money. i kept my 14 limited because i love it and know how it has been maintained and still slick. with a shade under 100,000 miles it is not worth anything. if i was young and looking for a really cheap bagger i would be trying to find a slick one like it with over 100,000 miles. they are so cheap just buy it , ride it and don't even worry about engine work. it may run for many many miles before needing it and you banked a ton by buying it so cheap. just fix it if it breaks. for 12 hundred bucks you can buy a low mileage engine from a front end damaged bike(engine not damaged) in an insurance pool.

·
Registered
41,204 Posts
I don't know, but the MoCo hooked me for a LRS. :dunno
I think they got that one right. Not too much that I'd change on it.

(Sure, I say that now....)

·
American
28,146 Posts
If and when I buy another Harley, it will be one of the Rushmore's, about the best there is for TC's. The M8's are not for me.
Couldn't agree more. But my 13 works just fine.

Reactions: scspartan

·
luv the low country
19,888 Posts

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
I am amazed at how many of our HOG chapter members have purchased M8's. They all seem very happy.

Reactions: tommytailspin

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've been on two wheels for 50 years and understand the frustration some folks have with these modern bikes. My first bikes were so simple, but they were also rather unreliable. Poor electrics, oil leaks, carb issues with altitude changes, vapor lock, etc. And don't get me started on kick starting my old BSA s and Triumphs especially in the cold of Chicago winters. Constant maintenance, like my '87 1200 Sportster stretching the final drive chain where it had to be adjusted every 3 days or so.

I'm old and retired and lazy now and the last thing I want to do is crawl around the garage floor and wrench on a bike. Heck, I have to force myself to wash 'em anymore.

They are way more complicated now, but also way more reliable. A few years ago I had a '73 Triumph that fulfilled my nostalgia needs, but every time I rode that vibrating thing, I found myself thinking, "Why am I riding this hand numbing oil leaking beast when I have a new Harley in the garage?"

I love my '19 Limited and my new '21 FLHXS with all their complexities. :) YMMV

·
American
28,146 Posts
I am amazed at how many of our HOG chapter members have purchased M8's. They all seem very happy.
Jim, I rode a couple and didn’t care for them. Just my opinion.

Reactions: deckerhand

·
Registered
148 Posts
Anybody besides the OP listen to the podcast? The person doing the talking was Bill Jackson, President of Rockford Fosgate, not H-D. The topic was the new RF sound system. He was giving background on himself, and said when his first bike was an 883 sportster, and as a Sportster owner, he felt like he sorta wanted to move up to the Big Boy club. He’s since had 27 H-Ds, and is a big fan of the brand. They talked about the FXR, and how it was a transitional bike, a precursor to the CVO, and there are still a lot of FXR fan boys out there. Maybe a poor choice of words, but no where near what the OP was implying.

Also, you guys know that when H-D stops selling new motorcycles, there’s no more H-D, don’t you?

Here‘s a link to the aforementioned podcast if you’d like to get past the terrible “insults,” and learn a bit about the new sound system.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts