Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley needs to start paying closer attention with the assembly of their bikes. As we all know, THEY AIN'T CHEAP.

Now I fully admit I'm about as anal as it gets in the manner I keep my bike. As I've been waxing, polishing, (become one with the bike..lol) I've noticed some issues. The worst is the blister and a hair (or something) in the middle of the grey stripe on the front fender just behind the forks. GM at the dealership told me no problem, they'd just get another fender. (that paint job was a friggin' load of money)..... The 'warranty guy' had to look at it and he mentioned trying to wetsand it out and I just laughed. Told him that I 'detailed' bikes for almost ten years and there was no way that was going to wetsand out, that it was a complete waste of time. He ended up agreeing with me and he has ordered the new fender. Then I noticed the handlebars were not centered, had to move them over almost 3/8's of an inch. Not a big deal, but why not put them on centered in the first place? Maybe I'm just being too pickey, at least about the handlebars, and maybe that's just the way it is in 2013. I just think that if you've got the time to do something wrong, you've got the time to do something right. And there is NO excuse about that fender ever being mounted. I'd like to think at some point, someone looks at what is being assembled.

On the positive note, the dealer has been absolutely GREAT to work with. Ride safe, guys and gals...:bike-038:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with you StreetBob. Regardless of price the quality of workmanship should be spot on. It's not that hard to fully check out a Motorcycle. A car maybe different because of it's size but there is no excuse on a bike. Your not being picky your just being a consumer that cares.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
attention to detail in the work place is not what it used to be. too many distractions that used to not be there, still you would think a final inspection would be done before it left the factory. its good to know the dealer is working with you.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, Brad, the GM at the dealership has been probably the best I've ever worked with. He REALLY puts his customers first. Been at that particular dealership for 13 years and now I know why. He cares.

Pipewizard: You are probably right....lol

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
Totally agree with you my friend!

As much pride as these guys SHOULD have to be building Harleys, sometimes it doesn't show through on the end product.

-Rohan

·
TGPNW
640 Posts
On the positive note, the dealer has been absolutely GREAT to work with. Ride safe, guys and gals...:bike-038:
Thanks guys, Brad, the GM at the dealership has been probably the best I've ever worked with. He REALLY puts his customers first. Been at that particular dealership for 13 years and now I know why. He cares.
Their are four dealership within 40 miles from my home. My experience with my local dealership is similar to yours. I have not bought a bike from this dealership but they treat all of their customers with the same respect.

My ride is twenty years old and for the last 8 years all of the work I chose to have done (things that are beyond what I want do, or time does not allow) they get the work. All of my work has been done by the same mechanic and is written up by the same service writer. The dealership is Destination Harley located in Fife / Tacoma Wa. Outstanding dealership.

What is the name of the dealership you use? If I'm ever in your area, and need work, it would be nice to know.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Hells yes.
As long as you have share holders wanting more and more money, quality will always go to the toilet, then they move to Mexico or China - and the product becomes pure shit! Harleys are just another mass produced product with an American logo on it holding the company together. Building more bikes in the same amount of time is a recipe for poor quality and failure. Quality and technology don’t seem to take the precedence it should with these bikes, and therefore I don’t expect perfection from Harley Davidson.
When Mercedes makes a motorcycle, you might start seeing perfection, quality and technology as you'd expect.

·
Smokin Ogre
261 Posts
I may be wrong here, but don't the dealership install the handlebars during final assembly at the store??

·
Registered
38,905 Posts
I may be wrong here, but don't the dealership install the handlebars during final assembly at the store??
They are installed, but not adjusted. Neither are the mirrors, unless you make it a habit of riding on the front fender going down the road backwards...

nor is the windshield installed on dressers.

But Mondays and Tuesdays are the days to bash the MoCo, Dealerships get bashed on Wednesdays and Thursdays....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I may be aging myself but remember the old saying. " I hope my car, in this case bike, wasn't built on a Monday or a Friday. Monday everyone has a hangover and Friday everyone wants to get the hell out of work and start the weekend. So the moral of the story is Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday is the way to go.LOL

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
I got one for yah. This is my 2013 flhtk. check out my oil pressure and oil temp gauges. How is oil pressure mearsured in *F????
That's American quality control right there!

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is my 2013 flhtk. check out my oil pressure and oil temp gauges. How is oil pressure mearsured in *F????
Well, you adjust for the vapor pressure inside the crankcase, apply Bernoulli's Principle, multiply by the square root of viscosity and.....oh, heck, I forgot the rest of the formula. Some highly-trained Harley engineer can fill you in, though. Ask Bubba over there on the fork lift.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Their are four dealership within 40 miles from my home. My experience with my local dealership is similar to yours. I have not bought a bike from this dealership but they treat all of their customers with the same respect.

My ride is twenty years old and for the last 8 years all of the work I chose to have done (things that are beyond what I want do, or time does not allow) they get the work. All of my work has been done by the same mechanic and is written up by the same service writer. The dealership is Destination Harley located in Fife / Tacoma Wa. Outstanding dealership.

What is the name of the dealership you use? If I'm ever in your area, and need work, it would be nice to know.
Boswell's Harley-Davidson of Cookeville, TN (there are two other Boswell franchises but not familiar with them) Wouldn't consider going anywhere else in this general area.:nod

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As my Father always said: "If you've got the time to do something wrong, you sure have the time to do it right....":know:know

·
Try'n to behave
5,861 Posts
As my Father always said: "If you've got the time to do something wrong, you sure have the time to do it right....":know:know
I always got the "Do it right, or do it twice." :what?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts