Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and me are beginning to use Harley half helmets. The problem becomes we both wear prescription glasses. Did anyone try the Harley rap around prescription glasses that they advertice????? We both don't like the sides of are glasses open when we ride. What are other people using?

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,362 Posts
Harley has a half helmet with a pull down visor. Using that should negate the problem of open sides on your glasses.
As long as I have a windshield in front of me, my regular glasses do just fine.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Agreed with the windshield and half helmet. I have also been using the DVX brand glasses and just ordered a pair of Wiley X. I mainly use them for safety glasses at work but also a little while riding.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use a half helmet with a visor and screw on face shield. Never had any problems wearing my glasses with it, windshield or not.

:biker:

·
Registered
22 Posts
With your prescription in hand, walk into the optical dept of the local Wal-mart, and ask to look at the 'rec-spec' wrap-a-round athletic glasses. They come clear or tinted, starting at about $100 pr.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I use global vision glasses that fit over my prescription glasses. I look like a bug eyed alien without a helmet, but with the helmet they dont look bad. I ordered them from amazon for about 12$ a pair. I've got a tinted pair and yellow lenses for low light.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Bass Player
83 Posts
Visors work.

For prescription eyewear, I have used 7eye (used to be called PanOptX)prescription Moto glasses in the past. They are excellent. I lost my last pair in the move back to the States. They are really well made and several styles are available.

Currently I have Liquid Eyewear prescription Moto glasses. They are better than excellent. I have the Titan's and love them. I've only had this pair for about threes months, but no issues yet.

Also, check you favorite sunglasses manufacturer, most of them have Rx programs. I know Spy Sunglasses offers several pair in Rx. Spy makes great sunglasses. I have a non Rx pair of "Dirty Mo" glasses from Spy. I was thinking of sending them off for Rx lenses. The glasses are awesome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just received a pair of prescription 7eye with magnetic foam sides. Awesome but a little pricey. Also have windshield but great glasses. They also darken in the sunlight so I don't have to take my regular glasses. They are sold in the Harley shop around here.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike - mtn crash1
What number is the pair of Wiley X you are getting. I looked at them and can't decide which I would like.

·
Registered
926 Posts
It says I ordered a 287-2. I think they are the curve but not sure. Hopefully by the end of the week they will be in and I can tell you for certain.

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
The hard part for me was seldom finding the glasses frames in stock tobtry on before I pulled the trigger on ordering. You'll notice that WileyX is making these glasses for HD - another conundrum, since there are no WileyX stores... But I did find a great way to test these. Bass Pro Shops has a huge selection of WileyX frames in stock and you can try them till you find one that is comfortable and meets your needs. Just jot down the model name and number. Now back to a HD store - you'll find the same model number on the HD version (and often the same name). Order using your eye doctors prescription. I really love my WileyX glasses and they give me complete protection from sun and wind. I have one pair for daylight and a second pair for night, since the photo grey or transition lenses never get as dark as a pair of "real" sunglasses.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a pair of Wiley X motorcycle prescription glasses. They aren't that expensive. I wouldn't throw excess money at things because it wears the Harley name.

One thing to keep in mind with the prescription wrap around type glasses like Wiley X or Rudy Project are not all prescriptions will work well. Some prescriptions are bad enough that the curve of the lens doesn't work and causes vision problems for the wearer. A good, knowledgeable authorized dealer for either of the two listed above glasses can tell you whether or not your prescription will be ok to use.

http://www.wileyx.com/MOTORCYCLE/index.aspx

·
American Patriot
173 Posts
I've had my Wiley-X for many years with-out any problems.

·
American Patriot
173 Posts
I really like my Wiley-X wrap around motorcycle prescription transition glasses. They do a great job keeping the wind out and they get plenty dark enough in daylight. They're made out of polycarbonate, so they're pretty tough.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Picked up my wileys yesterday. Going to put them to the test today. The transitions are nice however for me not so. I am a crane operator and most of the time the gray tint is the same shade ( or close enough) as my computer graphics that I end up looking over them just to read the screen. I get the bronze tint. It not only shades the sun but also brighrens (if that makes any sense). Very similar to the way the yellow lenses work. Some of you guys might think about trying them. Just a thought.

·
Registered
106 Posts
wrapped around glasses only may or may not be used with your prescription I got mine at Walmartbecause of the thickness of the lens it could only be put a certain frames they are letting me know the ones I wanted not for my eyeballs

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
Last eye checkup I bought a pair of wrap around Tommy H. shades. I love em and they have shatter resistant lenses.

·
Registered
612 Posts
My eye doc carries the hd line of glasses frames,my insurance covers them 100% so over the years I've had five pairs,three of one style sunglasses .I actually still have all of them they hold up better than any of the name brands I've had in the past. Only reason I have so many is cause they are free to me.I still wear my first pair everyday.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 33 Posts