Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley-Davidson sold fewer engines in the second quarter. Outside the United States, motor sales grew slightly, but that was not enough to absorb the decline in the home market.
As a brand, Harley-Davidson is still popular. Turnover from the sale of products with the logo of the motor builder increased significantly.
Sales amounted to 1.5 billion dollars, a decrease of 3.3 percent on an annual basis. In the US, Harley sold 6.4 percent fewer engines.
In the rest of the world there was an increase of 0.7 percent, but the engine builder gets about 60 percent of his turnover in his own country. The operating profit fell by almost a quarter to more than 243 million dollar.

it looks the people only buy t-shirts instead of a motorcycle.....

it seems that people abroad are more loyal to the brand than their own US citizins.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T530 met Tapatalk

·
American
26,343 Posts
Harley-Davidson sold fewer engines in the second quarter. Outside the United States, motor sales grew slightly, but that was not enough to absorb the decline in the home market.
As a brand, Harley-Davidson is still popular. Turnover from the sale of products with the logo of the motor builder increased significantly.
Sales amounted to 1.5 billion dollars, a decrease of 3.3 percent on an annual basis. In the US, Harley sold 6.4 percent fewer engines.
In the rest of the world there was an increase of 0.7 percent, but the engine builder gets about 60 percent of his turnover in his own country. The operating profit fell by almost a quarter to more than 243 million dollar.

it seems that people abroad are more loyal to the brand than their own US citizins.

Really? I still see 85% HD’s on the road..... hasn’t changed. So I really think your full of chit.... but, that is expected.... IMO

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
luv the low country
19,250 Posts
Borio, here in the States I believe market saturation and baby boomers, ( the major purchasers, the ones who can most afford HD's) are getting older, may have something to do with it. The children of the boomers are still raising a family and their expendable is limited, that why HD's push is in the foreign markets.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Borio, here in the States I believe market saturation and baby boomers, ( the major purchasers, the ones who can most afford HD's) are getting older, may have something to do with it. The children of the boomers are still raising a family and their expendable is limited, that why HD's push is in the foreign markets.
Maybe that is the big problem..but why is the other mayor motorcycle builder Indian motorcycles by Polaris doing good buisness ?????
Are the people who first were loyal to HD now buying a new Indian ??

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-H870 met Tapatalk

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,096 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe you should have linked that article in the first post... just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The first post was an article here in a dutch paper..after that answer i got , i googled and found the US article..
Here in the Netherlands it is a very hot item now how Harley is doing.
When you want a real bike you must ride a HD here in Europe.
Most all of the people who first ride a japanese bike traded them in for a HD
mostley import because a new one is to expensive ...and nobody wants to ride a street 750 over here.only sportster or the big twin.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,409 Posts
Part of the decline could be at the dealer ship level with the poor attitudes of the dealers and the techs that are a plug and play fix it type of shops any more . These new kids are just out of a tech school and have no experience to work on a bike . Most people just don't want to hand over the hard earned dollars for nothing .Beside we have heard the same ole song and Dance for years they never are making any Money and sales have decline. They don't tell you their expected sales were 15 million this year and they did 13.500 million so they lost money. They don't have any hard numbers They are going off a expected sales Number some body made up So yea they lost money .

We have heard the same crap from the Big 3 automotive for years so we just turn a Deaf ear to it . Maybe if they didn't pay the top people in the company such inflated salary's they would make some Money..

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The first part of big john his story is here the same in the Netherlands..if you go to the HD shop for parts for an Evo or Shovel..the guy behind the counter looks to you if you come from mars....

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
Part of the decline could be at the dealer ship level with the poor attitudes of the dealers and the techs that are a plug and play fix it type of shops any more .
Poor attitudes, tell you lies, jerk you around, gouge you on prices every chance they get. I love my Harley but I hate spending any money at a dealership. If enough people develop an attitude like mine Harley will shrivel and die. And then I may not have a wide selection of Harleys to choose from. I guess I will get over it.

·
Wayward Son
23,216 Posts
I think you just like to :stir

·
8,584 Posts
Indian...!!! How many times has Indian failed and re-started again? I don' think Harley has ever gone out of business. Also...it's all about the numbers game...Indian has a lot lower projection than Harley so they "appear" to be making money by meeting the numbers. Time will tell.

IMHO...I just think Harley is over inflating their prices and unless you have a great income you will buy a used Harley before you drop a ton at the Stealership!! ...just sayin'!!

·
Super Moderator
4,202 Posts
The Milwaukee engine is new. Many folks are used to waiting new technology out a few years to make sure they don't get let down. Profits will be down because they pumped very much money into R&D for the big changes and those take years to recoup. Harley has been in decline for awhile since their patent expired and they will struggle to find a new identity. The dealers are finally becoming less snobbish and there are so many great used bikes out there, especially since they upped their production numbers.

The CEO is lost, so there is the answer right there. He is feeling heat from shareholders and seems generally incompetent.

·
American
26,343 Posts

it seems that people abroad are more loyal to the brand than their own US

Those are the words of Matt Levatich the CEO ..so he is full of chit jjpassh2o ???

Harley-Davidson Sales and Revenue are Down in Q2 of 2018 - The Drive

Read before you insult someone

You threw out the first insult to us .... really don’t care what you think.... It is BS to think Indian is doing great..... can you site market share..... that will tell the tale..... I see one or two Indians to every couple hundred HD’s ..... that is real.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You threw out the first insult to us .... really don’t care what you think.... It is BS to think Indian is doing great..... can you site market share..... that will tell the tale..... I see one or two Indians to every couple hundred HD’s ..... that is real.
... I see one or two Indians to every couple hundred HD’s ..... that is real.

If would been a very rare situation if it was the opposite..because Indian produce since a few years and HD al decades so surely you see less Indians..duh.

·
Road Junkie
1,880 Posts
Indian...!!! How many times has Indian failed and re-started again? I don' think Harley has ever gone out of business. Also...it's all about the numbers game...Indian has a lot lower projection than Harley so they "appear" to be making money by meeting the numbers. Time will tell.
Agree that Indian Motorcycle is working from a smaller base, but they too are beginning to feel the pinch. In the 2Q2018 Polaris Industries earnings report, they note a 13% decline in motorcycle revenues compared to 2Q2017. Polaris also noted that heavy motorcycle (>900cc) had declined “mid-single digits” at the industry level. Indian realized single digit increase in market share for the quarter. (Note: Indian Motorcycle had been seeing mid-teens market share gains in recent quarters.)

This is the 16th consecutive quarter of mid-single digit or greater declines for the heavy motorcycle industry. Both H-D and Polaris continue to put a positive spin on the situation, but it’s hard to dispute the facts.

Here is the excerpt regarding the motorcycle segment from the Polaris earnings report...

Motorcycle segment sales, including PG&A, totaled $171 million, a decrease of 13 percent compared to $198 million reported in the second quarter of 2017 due to a weak motorcycle industry and timing of shipments for Indian motorcycles year-over-year. Slingshot sales were also down due to the weak motorcycle industry. Gross profit for the second quarter of 2018 was $25 million compared to $21 million in the second quarter of 2017. Adjusted for the Victory wind down costs recorded in both the 2018 and 2017 second quarters, and restructuring and realignment costs, motorcycle gross profit was $25 million in the 2018 second quarter compared to $30 million for the 2017 second quarter.

North American consumer retail demand for the Polaris motorcycle segment, including Indian Motorcycle and Slingshot, increased low-single digit percent during the 2018 second quarter. Indian Motorcycle retail sales increased mid-single digits percent. Slingshot's retail sales were down mid-single digits percent during the quarter. Motorcycle industry retail sales, 900cc and above, were down mid-single digit percent in the 2018 second quarter. Indian Motorcycle gained market share for the 2018 second quarter on a year-over-year basis, in spite of an overall weak N.A. industry motorcycle market in the second quarter. Motorcycle dealer inventory was down low-single digits percent in the 2018 second quarter compared to the same period last year due to moderated shipments in an overall weak motorcycle market.​

P.S. Both companies are adjusting its production, inventories, and expenses to weather to storm. Polaris has an easier time of this given its diversity and motorcycles being a relatively small percentage of overall revenues. H-D will see continued margin pressure in coming quarters.

·
American
26,343 Posts
... I see one or two Indians to every couple hundred HD’s ..... that is real.

If would been a very rare situation if it was the opposite..because Indian produce since a few years and HD al decades so surely you see less Indians..duh.

Thank you for proving me right.... what is it really, that you seem to like taking digs at Americans? You pissed because Trump is kicking Europe’s ass on Trade, NATO????

·
Wayward Son
23,216 Posts
Now Crew. Be nice.
We have had trolls before. This is just our first import. :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for proving me right.... what is it really, that you seem to like taking digs at Americans? You pissed because Trump is kicking Europe’s ass on Trade, NATO????
Nope only it seems that in the US less older people buy a new motorcyle .and here in the Netherlands more people who are over 50 when the kids are out the house buy a motorcycle and they prefer a HD..
My only question was why ?
And i dont want to hurt someones feelings

·
Wayward Son
23,216 Posts
Nope only it seems that in the US less older people buy a new motorcyle .and here in the Netherlands more people who are over 50 when the kids are out the house buy a motorcycle and they prefer a HD..
My only question was why ?
And i dont want to hurt someones feelings

Less are bought here because the culture is changing.
Harley has always been here. No longer carries the mystique it once did.
As far as why your Countrymen are buying them?
That is a far better question to ask yourself.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts