Harley Davidson Forums banner

Harley sounds like a honda

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  JPR 
#1 ·
I just purchesed a 2010 Road King. It still has the factory exhaust and sounds like a honda. Can I cut the baffels out and make it sound like a Harley until I can get new exhaust for it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Welcome to the best forum on the internot.
Why not go over to the New Members section and tell us a little bit about yourself and you ride.:)

#4 ·
Get rid of the cat. Kills the sound and produces lots of heat.

#6 ·
Gutting will never sound "right", IMO. Did a Stage I baffelectomy on my Rocker C when it was new. Louder, but to me sounded too high-pitched and sounded all wrong, like a loud Honda with Harley pipes on it...

Go ahead and get some duals with flow-through baffles.....Then it will be sounding right! :thumbsup

#7 ·
I went to Lowes and bought a solid piece of some sort of re-bar that had a point on one end and blunt on the other. The pipe is probably an inch in diameter. With the muffs off the bike I drove the rod all the way through the pipe. IMHO they sound almost as good as my 1.75 inch baffled Rush slip-ons and give a reasonbly quiet ride at 70+ mph. I would try that before spending alot of $$ on slip-ons. If you don't like them after punching them, another set of stockes are just $75 off ebay.
The above mentioned work was done on an TC88 FLHT so YMMV.

#10 ·
Ditto on the Rush 2.0. My Bike came new off the showroom floor with them already on. Rush plant is nearby and they showcase their stuff on my dealer's bikes.

I got lucky. The odometer only had 5 miles on it so they didn't do much riding with the Rush slip ons. . . . on

Still have everything else stock. runs and sounds great. Hot in the summer at a stop light. And so all the newer bikes are. EPA crap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.