Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. I'm Fred, Alex. VA. Few questions on the Twin-Cam 2014 Harley. Some blogs have said these bikes have serious quality issues: 1) chain cams that become defect @ 15,000 miles (chain tensioners wear out); 2)low oil pressure; 2) stator problems (stator too close to inside of engine). How real are these issues? Are there fixes for them? I know that the cam chain can be replaced by after-market gears Is there a fix for the stator issue? Just looking to get some opinions before I put down $14,000 bucks. If these issues are real, which one is the most troublesome? Thanks!
Fred

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Welcome from the capital city.

I haven't heard that many things wrong with the 2014 models. Yes, the Mount Rushmore models contained new, first-year features and yes, there were a few rumors here and there of problems but no real catastrophic issues that I am aware of. Perhaps others have more insight. Plenty of members here on this forum that have 2014 models.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
The issues you mention were corrected in 2006 on the Dyna and 2007 on the remaining V twins. Cam tensioners do wear out - i replaced one set at 90,000 miles and a second at 120,000 miles because i was already in there doing a cam change. Stator also went out around 90,000 miles.

·
Registered
43,121 Posts
Hello Everyone. I'm Fred, Alex. VA. Few questions on the Twin-Cam 2014 Harley. Some blogs have said these bikes have serious quality issues: 1) chain cams that become defect @ 15,000 miles (chain tensioners wear out); 2)low oil pressure; 2) stator problems (stator too close to inside of engine). How real are these issues? Are there fixes for them? I know that the cam chain can be replaced by after-market gears Is there a fix for the stator issue? Just looking to get some opinions before I put down $14,000 bucks. If these issues are real, which one is the most troublesome? Thanks!
Fred
I know exactly where you read that.

He wrote that to promote his so called "book".

Serious conflict of interest, and serious credibility issues.

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Welcome from Ga. Like what's been said already, the tensioners will wear out. But as far as quality issues go, I think you'll be happy with the bike. Just take care of it and it will take care of you by keeping a big smile on your face!!

·
2,327 Posts
I have 2 friends with 2014 Ultra's, other than the infotainment piece absolutely no problems. Infotainment issues are user faults. Welcome from New Hampshire.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Welcome from Waco, TX.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fred
They fixed the cam chain tensioner in 07, low oil pressure?? new one there unless you got some serious mechanical issues, stator issues is another new. Got 31000 miles on my 07 and its a 103 ci pushing 108 hp and its holding up fine. Now the C lifters they now use are not supposed to be that great and you need to keep an ear on them and they need to be treated as a wear item and replaced around 15000 or when they get noisey, but other than that run the hell out of it. Have changed mine twice but I'm running a cam with 575 lift and little extra spring pressure than stock so the lifters take a little beating. Rick

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Welcome to the site from Apollo, PA. I bought my bike at the end of last year. It's been in the garage pretty much since November. I plan to wear "all those parts" out as soon as the evil snow and ice monsters have gone away. A 70 degree day or two would be nice too. Wait I'll settle for 60, no make that 50. Oh hell just give me some sunny days...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.