Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. I am getting an action camera on Tuesday. I have been experimenting awhile now with audio configurations in my helmet for talking. It has been generally unsuccessful, but version 3.0 knucklehead (I'm naming the versions after HD engines) was better. I have redesigned the setup again and will be testing it tomorrow. The reason I am having so much trouble is that I have almost straight pipes on my bike. The ambient noise is a lot for the mic to handle. At 55mph it works great. At 70... Hearable but no pleasant. With my redesign I have made the mic more directional and able to kill ambient noise better so I hope tomorrows tests prove good.
If not though, does anyone know of really directional stereo 3.5mm microphones?

If it works out I will make a video or a post here on what I did. Most YouTube vloggers don't have loud bikes, so I am basically treading new ground here. I only hope that my newest setup (panhead) works because I am running out of both time and Harley engines!

Ideally, I hope to get the action cam and do narrated videos for family memory sake mostly, but also to post here if anyone is interested. Which brings me to the point of this thread.

Would you like to watch POV rides of a chubby NYer narrating along the way as he traverses the landscape of Upstate NY???

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
38,945 Posts
I wonder how 2 microphones would work, a directional microphone for voice, and a second Omni directional wired out of phase with the first to kill ambient noise?

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,113 Posts
So. I am getting an action camera on Tuesday. I have been experimenting awhile now with audio configurations in my helmet for talking. It has been generally unsuccessful, but version 3.0 knucklehead (I'm naming the versions after HD engines) was better. I have redesigned the setup again and will be testing it tomorrow. The reason I am having so much trouble is that I have almost straight pipes on my bike. The ambient noise is a lot for the mic to handle. At 55mph it works great. At 70... Hearable but no pleasant. With my redesign I have made the mic more directional and able to kill ambient noise better so I hope tomorrows tests prove good.
If not though, does anyone know of really directional stereo 3.5mm microphones?

If it works out I will make a video or a post here on what I did. Most YouTube vloggers don't have loud bikes, so I am basically treading new ground here. I only hope that my newest setup (panhead) works because I am running out of both time and Harley engines!

Ideally, I hope to get the action cam and do narrated videos for family memory sake mostly, but also to post here if anyone is interested. Which brings me to the point of this thread.

Would you like to watch POV rides of a chubby NYer narrating along the way as he traverses the landscape of Upstate NY???

Did your microphone pick that up?
Yeah, that was the sound of me stabbing myself in the eye with a dull pencil...

Just kidding... It would be cool to see if you can get it dialed in. I am not sure what setup you are using but is it possible to record multiple audio streams? If so you could edit the mix in post.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did your microphone pick that up?
Yeah, that was the sound of me stabbing myself in the eye with a dull pencil...

Just kidding... It would be cool to see if you can get it dialed in. I am not sure what setup you are using but is it possible to record multiple audio streams? If so you could edit the mix in post.
@Kainam... Do you think that I can wire up that setup to a single 3.5mm stereo jack on the camera, or would I need a separate sound recorder of some sort and do it in editing. I am pretty good with technology and stuff, but video and audio creation are new ground for me.

@Misin....Kinder reaction then I expected from most people he he he
By recording multiple audio streams how would that help?? Kai am said to wire one up to only cancel noise and one to talk. What would your idea do to help cancel noise and not just record more of it hehehe? Like I said. Major noob at this!!

Right now I am using a cheap lapel microphone. Tons of YouTube bloggers use one plugged right into the go pro or whatever camera they use no problem.
What I have done is fixed a rubber fuel line to the end of the microphone that comes out a few inches. Then cut it at an angle and taped up the whole mic and any parts that don't need to be open for me to speak into.

In my ambient noise tests of the night, (playing music really loud out of my surround sound) it actually worked quite well. I am going to test it in a few hours on the bike and see how it goes. I was pretty close before (just a little popping noise from I think the cone getting vibrated from all of the noise)....so this may be the last little nudge I need to get it working.

·
Registered
38,945 Posts
@Kainam... Do you think that I can wire up that setup to a single 3.5mm stereo jack on the camera, or would I need a separate sound recorder of some sort and do it in editing. I am pretty good with technology and stuff, but video and audio creation are new ground for me.
Sure. You would just wire one microphone as the left channel, the other microphone as right.

Then after recording your video, you would have to mix the 2 channels into mono and play with the levels to get the best noise reduction effect.

Connect the negative of your directional microphone and the positive of your Omni microphone to the sleeve of the plug, then the negative of your Omni microphone to the ring, then finally the positive of your directional microphone to the tip.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure. You would just wire one microphone as the left channel, the other microphone as right.

Then after recording your video, you would have to mix the 2 channels into mono and play with the levels to get the best noise reduction effect.

Connect the negative of your directional microphone and the positive of your Omni microphone to the sleeve of the plug, then the negative of your Omni microphone to the ring, then finally the positive of your directional microphone to the tip.
Your the man kainam! If my test proves unsuccessful in a few min I shall look into this idea. First just a directional mic to see if that works, then I shall get... Crafty.
Thank you!

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,113 Posts
if you can do it like K said, why not have the mic inside a full face? The other you can mount on the bike behind you maybe so you block a large portion of the wind. Also a large more dense wind screen for the microphone will help with howl. Perhaps a hypercardioid or shotgun type pointed straight back???

:dunno

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you can do it like K said, why not have the mic inside a full face? The other you can mount on the bike behind you maybe so you block a large portion of the wind. Also a large more dense wind screen for the microphone will help with howl. Perhaps a hypercardioid or shotgun type pointed straight back???

:dunno
One will be inside. For speech..
I was thinking of shoving the other one inside the headliner. No wind and reduced noise compared to behind me in the wind and closer to the pipes...
Plus I really would like to keep everything centralized to the helmet so I'm not tethered to the bike. This way I can be free to get on and off easily, as well as unplug one cord and take the camera with me somewhere so it doesn't get stolen. I'm about to go test what I have done now so let's see how that works. If it works out then none of this is an issue anyway. We shall see!

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the deal...
I ran the test and it went decent. It is a lot less bike noise now and you can hear my voice better, but at 70 I am just barley maxing out the microphone. It is a little staticy at 70 but perfect at 60. A little more and I'll be good.... I wish I could just turn the gain down on the microphone a little. I am testing it through the narration feature of windows movie maker (weird I know) so I have no audio controls. That being said, I won't on the camera either. Partly the reason I decided to use such a rudimentary method. At this point, I am going to wait until the camera comes in and then do some tweaking that will hopefully make it work. Thanks for all the he suggestions though. If needed I shall use them.

Amazon.com: Olympus ME-52W Noise Canceling Microphone: Electronics

Hmmm. could be the ticket. I would need to adapt it to a stereo connector to get audio out of both sides though. Could be worth it though.

I don't think it will work actually. Needs external power. Its the right idea though...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts