Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 iron 1200 with only 6300 miles on it. I bought it the end of sep. Well before my first payment was due at around 900 miles it started making noise so I took it back to hb Harley , the found there was no oil in the primary. Well it burned the clutch they fixed ut. Then right before my second payment was due the engine locked up. Had broken sparkplugs and inch long slivers of metal in the oil. I've changed the oil 4 times within the 6300 miles but used Valvoline 20/50 motorcycle oil each time but they voided my warranty saying I used aftermarket oil. Well in my opinion no brandnew engine should have in. Long slivers of metal inside even if I never changed the oil. Just lookng for some comments from anyone on this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone ever have their warranty voided for using Valvoline 20/50 motorcycle oil in the bike. The engine had inch long slivers of metal in the oil at 6300 miles

·
Barney Fife - Poser
844 Posts
That's bullshit. Do you have all this in writing? We all know they can't void your warranty just because of the brand of oil you used unless it was something stupid that doesn't meet the required specs. This issue has been discussed a million times and would take a fraction of a second worth of searching to find all you need to know on the internet.

If you made some other changes to the bike like engine mods or exhaust or a aftermarket tuner then you're probably screwed.

So how did the engine "lock up"? How did the spark plugs get broken? Were they the wrong plugs (too long)? Who found the metal in the oil, you or them? Who did the oil changes? Did you keep all your receipts?

There is an awful lot of information missing from your story.

·
Registered
37,236 Posts
Your last name wouldnt happen to be Dobyns would it?

The ATF guy that got fired for spreading BS, and setting his own house on fire in an attempt to generate credibility to his lies?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The plugs broke like being hit by piston or valve and they were the plugs that say Harley and the one that were in it when I bought it. I haven't done anything to the bike but change the oil this is the second time it been in the in 3 months since I got the bike. The first time the primary had zero oil in it and they fixed this time they won't and as for two threads I appologize but but I'm trying to figure out how I can fix this because every single day I don't have the bike I have no way to work. I've lost a month all together of work because of this bike. I've never been on here doing this thread thing .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The plugs broke like being hit by piston or valve and they were the plugs that say Harley and the one that were in it when I bought it. I haven't done anything to the bike but change the oil this is the second time it been in the in 3 months since I got the bike. The first time the primary had zero oil in it and they fixed this time they won't and as for two threads I appologize but but I'm trying to figure out how I can fix this because every single day I don't have the bike I have no way to work. I've lost a month all together of work because of this bike. I've never been on here doing this thread thing .
The plugs were not broke from being hit by piston or valve.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was told at first to changeit at 500 miles for break-in then told by a different person in the same service dept that it was supposed to be at a 1000 miles then every 5000 after. My mistake on putting 4 it was 3 times I've changed it

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,591 Posts
I don’t care for how some of our community runs people off without the benefit of a doubt. I started to post something earlier that I deleted so I didn’t run someone off.

At this point, all I can say is, troll.

Go ride your Honda somewhere else and troll other places.

·
Barney Fife - Poser
844 Posts
So, let me make sure I have this right.

You rode this bike 900 miles with no oil in the primary before anything started to make noise? You never had any problems with shifting?

You put 900 miles on this bike in one month riding to work, but then the second month you rode 5200 miles back and forth to work? Did you change jobs?

You found ferrous metal slivers stuck to the crank position sensor, and then did what? You said you did this before you "knew the engine seized up" so does that mean you stuck the sensor back in the hole and kept riding?

When did you find the broken spark plugs? You said the plugs were broken like they got hit by the pistons (or valves?) and then you said they did not. Which is it?

How did you get the bike back to the dealership for them to make a determination on your warranty? What did they say actually cause the engine seizure?

·
Barney Fife - Poser
844 Posts
How were you getting to work before you bought this bike in September?

How do you expect someone on here to help you fix your bike when we have no clue what the problem is?

Seriously, if the only reason you decided to join the site is because you think we owe you some kind of fix then at least have the decency to answer our questions.

There is no story here yet. That sucks if you don't have a way to get to work but it ain't nobody's fault but your own. Even if they were fixing your bike you would be without it for some length of time. How would you get to work then? What have you been doing for the past month to get this fixed? How do you just miss a month of work without getting fired? Did the dealer refuse the warranty? Did you take it up with Harley-Davidson corporate? Have you contacted a lawyer? Are you just sitting there waiting for "someone" to come fix it? Is the bike even with you or at a dealership?

This "thread thing" ain't all that difficult if ya got any basic reedin an writin skills. Seems like ya got plenty of time to do some reedin and figger it out.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Unless there is something you are not telling us, there is no way H-D can deny the warranty. Federal law prohibits manufacturers from requiring their oil being used. As long as the oil is correct for the application you are good.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts