Harley Davidson Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I agree, I have run many an engine without any filter at all. The main thing a filter does is trap fairly large pieces, most damage is done by much smaller pieces than any full flow filter can trap. H-D would have to prove that the filer you put on, caused the problem, to void warranty. They would no be able to prove that, so unless there are other(not known to us) things going on, H-D will have to make it good.

·
Barney Fife - Poser
844 Posts
I agree, I have run many an engine without any filter at all. The main thing a filter does is trap fairly large pieces, most damage is done by much smaller pieces than any full flow filter can trap. H-D would have to prove that the filer you put on, caused the problem, to void warranty. They would no be able to prove that, so unless there are other(not known to us) things going on, H-D will have to make it good.
I don't think that's how it works. If you decide to use parts that don't meet the OEM specs for performance then I think that relieves them of any burden of proof. You can't eliminate the filter spec by saying "well, that guy ran his engine with no filter at all and he says that filters only trap big stuff and most damage is done by tiny pieces". Frankly, considering that a HD filter only costs about $11 and is actually a good filter, there is no good reason not to use them, certainly while your bike is under warranty, not to mention that if you buy your oil and filters from them then they will know (and even have records) that you are changing the oil. So, the first burden of proof here is that the OP has to prove he actually changed the oil and that he used a filter that was up to the task.

The OP said that at the first service, at the dealership, there was no oil in the primary. Amazingly, it took 900 miles of riding to start making noise and only "burned up the clutch". Both of those things seem unlikely and he never said why there was no oil in the primary. Personally, if I found out I just rode 900 miles on a brand new bike that came from the dealership with no oil in the primary, that would have been the last time I rode that bike. I would have demanded a replacement or my money back. There is no way that would only damage the clutch, but I digress. He never says what the conclusion was about how the missing oil happened.

The OP also seems to be confused about how many times he has changed the oil in the bike. Was it 4 times or 3 times? Why would it be either of those numbers at 6300 miles? If he had receipts to prove he changed the oil then he would know exactly how many times he changed it.

The OP admits he used an oil filter that might not meet the OEM performance spec which would make it an inferior part.

The OP seems to have troubles with personal responsibility and maybe with math. I still don't understand how he commuted back and forth to work in 900 miles one month but then the next month it took 5400 miles of riding to get back and forth to work. I don't understand how he could just "miss a month of work". That one motorcycle can't be the only way to get to work. How did he get there before he bought this bike? What would he do if they took the bike in and kept it for weeks repairing it? This just doesn't add up.

And to top it off, for me, I re-read his original post and noticed something I missed before. He said "Well in my opinion no brandnew engine should have in. Long slivers of metal inside even if I never changed the oil.". Why would he mention 'never changing the oil'? Is that what happened? Did they accuse him of that? I'm sorry but that sounds like an admission to me. He tried to make the point right off the bat that even if he never changed the oil (but he did, 4 times, wait, no, 3 times) there still should not be big pieces of metal in the oil. Maybe he was just randomly letting us know, for no particular reason, that there is no way that failure to change the oil could lead to big pieces of metal in the oil and seizure of the engine, I mean just in case you didn't know that, not that it happened to him, but just in case. You know?

I would be willing to make a wager that this guy has been caught abusing his bike, using a sub-par oil filter, not changing the oil (or at least not having any receipts to show for it), and then changing his story to the dealership along the way to this point. I really don't think that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was ever intended to 'protect' someone in this situation. In fact, I think the intention to be quite the opposite.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,441 Posts
Technically anytime you are over about 3000 RPM you are running the motor without a filter. The filter bypass opens up so the oil can flood the friction paths.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I was not suggesting to run without a filter. What I was suggesting, for a company to refuse warranty, the company must show the part or action caused the failure. I agree with you, we are not getting the whole story. Way more here than meets the eye.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Technically anytime you are over about 3000 RPM you are running the motor without a filter. The filter bypass opens up so the oil can flood the friction paths.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Not sure where you came up with that, but the filter bypass opens when the pressure drop across the filter exceeds a certain pressure, I'm not sure the exact prssure on the H-D filter spec, but 15 lbs is a common pressure for oil filters.

·
Proud Infidel
2,619 Posts
Not sure where you came up with that, but the filter bypass opens when the pressure drop across the filter exceeds a certain pressure, I'm not sure the exact prssure on the H-D filter spec, but 15 lbs is a common pressure for oil filters.
That would be 15 psig differential across the filter. Correct?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Proud Infidel
2,619 Posts
So with a brand spanking new 5 micron filter and clean (new) oil, how much oil pressure would be needed to achieve 15 psi differential across the filter?

·
Asylum Inmate
11,441 Posts
Used to be 6 to 8 psi. Now 8 to 10 in the new filters. That is differential pressue. So inlet 8 to 10 higher then outlet spring opens and oil flows.

Sent from my SM-T837A using Tapatalk

·
Asylum Inmate
11,441 Posts
So with a brand spanking new 5 micron filter and clean (new) oil, how much oil pressure would be needed to achieve 15 psi differential across the filter?
A pump can acheive a maximum pressue .... as long as the pressure is flowing through the element at proper flow rate (minimum for the engine wear surface protection) the pressure is even or close enough. However as the rpm increases the pressure in the pump reaches its maximum rate and pressure the inlet can go no higher. Bet the consumption continues to climb on the outlet side. When the rate of wear part consumption exceeds the inflow if the pump the pressure on the output side falls. When that differential exceeds 8 to 10 psi the bypass opens and the galleys are flooded to prevent oil starvation!

Almost all filters do this or the filter mount area does it.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,441 Posts
So you dont know where i got it, and you're not sure of the HD filter bypass pressure, but guess 15 PSI, then describe the HD bypass function that takes the filter out of the oil circuit? Brilliant!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts