Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I was offered a like-new Harmon-Kardon stereo off of a new Street Glide for a very reasonable price. So, I started doing my homework and sorting together bits found on the internet. I decided to buy the stereo, and see if my findings were valid. I figure based on what they sell for on ebay, I could get my money back easy plus maybe a buck or two.

I wanted the clean look of stock, cheap and the mp3 disc functionality. The newer HK was actually perfect for me. Anyway, guess what, it works awesome.

First of all, the wiring harness for the primary 23-pin radio coupling is exactly the same. It's plug and play. You just have to turn it over. it's "upside-down" on the H-K compared to the Radio Sound unit stock to 2005. Otherwise it plugs right in and works exactly as it should.

Here's the rub. The 2006 and newer bikes have the stereo available on the J1850 data bus. But, it is not on the older models. But, if you are buying a used unit, it should already be calibrated and not need to be calibrated again. The only issue is made sure you buy a unit for your application. That is, if you have a Classic, buy a unit from a SG or a Classic that has has not been set up to control nav and intercom, and doesn't have the fader activated for the rear speakers.

If you do have unit that is not configured as you need, it can be changed. But, you will need to find a dealer willing and able to plug the stereo into a 2006 or later bike and program it to your specs. It can be removed after programming and installed in your bike.

I didn't look into it a great deal, but my initial findings are that you can even use this unit with an Ultra as long as it has been calibrated as such. You do, however, have to change out some of the wiring harnesses to make everything connect. If you are interested in that, search the web. It's out there.

The other issue that some stated was that the AVC (automatic volume control) would not work because the H-K gets that data off the J1850 serial data. Well, yes it does. But, there is a work around for certain bikes. If you have a 2004 or 2005 bike, the speed data going to the old stereo is still digital. And the H-K, unknown to most it seems, has the ability to see that signal.

Once installed, turn on the radio. Once on, hold down the 1,3 and the "OK" buttons at the same time. You should get this screen:

Hit the up arrow five times. You should see this screen:

Hit the four button (beside "change") and toggle the screen to "high"

Hit the button to exit. The H-K stereo now is set to use the older style speed data input. It works perfectly. Unfortunately, this is only good if you have an '04 or '05. Before that, the stereo will still work, but the AVC will not function.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I plugged it in and it's not turning on ! Tried another of the same radio same thing! I have power I checked ... I think the radio isn't getting signal or something saying the bike is on!?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just want to give a shout out to chasarms for sharing this info. I just installed an HK radio into my EG and after calling Iron Cross and leaving messages I started a search and found this thread. This info help me program my HK for my 05 EG. :thumbsup

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Now if he will just figure out how to install a the new 2019 Boom system in a 2014 with a Boom he will be considered a hero.

Yes, I know this is a 5+ year old thread but I didn't bring it back to life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts