Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Boyz and Girlz. Its just about time for the farmers to get into the fields and start cutting around here in the Great Lakes area and the Mid West. When that equipment goes into the fields the deer come flying out! That is how I hit my deer just about a year ago. Watch the fields and watch those highways that have rail roads running parallel to them. Ride safe and ride sober

·
Wayward Son
23,320 Posts
:thumb Great reminder.
And if you see one, play it safe. Automatically figure it`s got friends close behind.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,488 Posts
Deer are getting bolder. 2 of them just crossed the Golden Gate this past week. Wonder if they paid the toll.

·
Wayward Son
23,320 Posts
Deer are getting bolder. 2 of them just crossed the Golden Gate this past week. Wonder if they paid the toll.
When I start seeing or hearing about deer in urban areas, here where I am, now the Golden Gate Bridge....
Makes me wonder just what spooked them that bad to be that far from home?

Sort of like when large amounts of fish beach themselves.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
When I start seeing or hearing about deer in urban areas, here where I am, now the Golden Gate Bridge....

Big foot and the lock-ness-monster...

And yes... Plenty of deer around here... Keep head on a swivel...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Seeing more deer and other critters around here. Harvest on The Palouse is all but done, but you'll still see wheat trucks moving grain. They are too big and go too fast. Watch out. And, they leave little patches of grain in the road, especially in curves.

We also see more moose and elk in our are now. Conventional wisdom is the burgeoning wolf population is driving them out of the higher country. Putting controls on wolf population doesn't seem to get any traction.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,488 Posts
Putting controls on wolf population doesn't seem to get any traction.
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Seems I recently read that the greenie types who reintroduced the wolves into Yellowstone are beginning to have some serious second thoughts about the experiment. Seems the wolves are very prolific breeders and are now breaking the rules and wandering out on the roads and into camping areas where they aren't supposed to want to go. I'd suspect it'll be sooner than later that some kid is going to get mauled or killed by one of these critters and the hunt will be on.

·
Wayward Son
23,320 Posts
Seems I recently read that the greenie types who reintroduced the wolves into Yellowstone are beginning to have some serious second thoughts about the experiment. Seems the wolves are very prolific breeders and are now breaking the rules and wandering out on the roads and into camping areas where they aren't supposed to want to go. I'd suspect it'll be sooner than later that some kid is going to get mauled or killed by one of these critters and the hunt will be on.
Were`t some\all of the wolves pen raised by humans?
If so then their inborn natural fear of humans has diminished. Not a wonder they are venturing into inhabited areas.
One more instance of humans messing with Mother Nature and screwing it up.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Were`t some\all of the wolves pen raised by humans?
If so then their inborn natural fear of humans has diminished. Not a wonder they are venturing into inhabited areas.
One more instance of humans messing with Mother Nature and screwing it up.
We needed to bring the wolf back. It makes for better deer populations and keeps the varmints down too . :thumbsup

:coffee:

·
Wayward Son
23,320 Posts
We needed to bring the wolf back. It makes for better deer populations and keeps the varmints down too . :thumbsup

But if they are over breeding.... The fact they are venturing closer to population shows there may now be a varmint shortage.

·
Banned
71 Posts
But if they are over breeding.... The fact they are venturing closer to population shows there may now be a varmint shortage.
Are you missing a small pet ???????

If it is a large population in your area, open a season then.

I like wolves period. They keep the yellow dog crossbreeds in check . :thumbsup

Wolves eat mice too, look it up. :fitz

·
Wayward Son
23,320 Posts
Love wolves. Think they and their social structure are next to none.
My beef is with the greenies messing with Ma Nature. They usually screw it up every time. This sounds like one of them. At the wolves expense.

·
On the loose
8,700 Posts
I live in a city of about 130,000 and the deer population is about 2000 in the city limits , they could pop out anywhere and do.

There about to get extra special stupid as it's almost rut too.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,488 Posts
I'll step out on a limb here (like I don't most of the time)... but I seem to recall from history that wolves got hunted to pretty small populations by ranchers who were trying to protect their herds of cattle and sheep and such. Of course, over zealous hunting pretty near wiped them out.
Now I hate deer except when they're cooked. I fear them as a rider, and would love to see massive herds of wolves making them a lot less of a problem, but it ain't working that way.
We locally had some idiots who imported coyotes for the pleasure of hunting them down.....well guess what? The yotes are as common as pine trees down here now. They are being accused of reducing the population of pets among other coyote related stuff. Sort of like bringing wolves back to where they no longer have natural enemies either. Their populations explode at the expense of the other native species. We, as a group of humans, shouldn't have hunted the wolves to near extinction, but we as that same interfering group shouldn't make the determination of how many and where to introduce predators in a biosphere where nature had readapted to life without them.

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts

Probably just trying to get the heck out of Oakland. Lol

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
:thumb Great reminder.
And if you see one, play it safe. Automatically figure it`s got friends close behind.
Deer always have a friend or baby in tow. If you see one, there are more close by. Also, wild turkeys, have a lot of those in my area, like to hang out close to deer, they communicate somehow to let each other know what is going on. So if you see one, you shouldn't be surprised to see another.

I have too many deer stories.

·
Registered
730 Posts
We locally had some idiots who imported coyotes for the pleasure of hunting them down.....well guess what? The yotes are as common as pine trees down here now. They are being accused of reducing the population of pets among other coyote related stuff. Sort of like bringing wolves back to where they no longer have natural enemies either. Their populations explode at the expense of the other native species. We, as a group of humans, shouldn't have hunted the wolves to near extinction, but we as that same interfering group shouldn't make the determination of how many and where to introduce predators in a biosphere where nature had readapted to life without them.
We got the same problem with coyotes here. Killed one in a small field between my house and my brothers---much too close. A cat hoarder down the road has sacrificed over half her herd of cats...just an appetizer for the coyotes. Hear them all the time.

Hear a few mountain lions once in a while. They like deer.

·
Wayward Son
23,320 Posts
It`s is year round open season on coyotes in Ohio. No license, no limit.
Think there is even a small reward for pelts.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Here in Wyoming wolves are a problem. They dont just kill deer and other wild game and eat them one at a time. They will kill as many as they can and eat parts and leave the rest then come back the next day and do it again. They have lowered the numbers of Elk, Moose, and Deer in areas where they hunt to record low numbers. There are areas here where they quit drawing for Moose permits because they are all but gone.
They do prey on older mature animals but they really do a number on newborn and yearling game. Not to mention the cattle and sheep that they kill that are in fenced areas that can not even run far enough to get away. Although the sheep are too stupid to really try to run anyway.
Areas in and around national parks like Yellowstone and Teton they sell about 50 permits to kill wolves but in the rest of the state they are open to hunting 24/7 without a permit. I say kill them all.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts