Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, So I was really stoked when I upgraded from a 750cc Honda Shadow Spirit to my very 1st Harley, a 2008 Sportster XL1200Custom, just One month ago. About 2 1/2 weeks ago, oil started leaking from the cap. The oil box was overfull, my husband removed a lot of oil... Nothing. He then changed the oil, replaced the oil filter and air filter, replaced the cap O ring, its apparently still leaking. This is a big problem cuz Everytime it does that, oil gets all over my chrome, my pipes and most concerning, my rear tire.
Has anyone experienced this problem or know what could be causing this? Could it be the oil pump? Or the pressure too high somehow? I know it's impossible to know without seeing the bike, I'm just looking for some one with experience with Harley's who might read this and think, "I know exactly what's going on..." And can offer some advice.
I can't really ride and haven't for over a week now. When you ride everyday, that's really difficult and I'm in serious rider withdrawal right now! ? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
38,858 Posts
Oil is over full.

Take the bike for a 30 minute ride then check while oil is hot.

Reactions: GotGold

·
Registered
534 Posts
Congrats on your new ride.
You should get an owner's manual. It'll show you the basics of how to care for your new bike. They used to be available from the HD website so look into that.
As Kainman noted, it's just probably overfilled so I'm sure you'll get it sorted out soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats on your new ride.
You should get an owner's manual. It'll show you the basics of how to care for your new bike. They used to be available from the HD website so look into that.
As Kainman noted, it's just probably overfilled so I'm sure you'll get it sorted out soon.
I agree it was overfull, but the oil was changed and checked while hot, it's level is between the lines on the low end. Something else has to be going on. I just rode a mile down the road and back and it's still dripping out the cap.
We just got a manual too

·
Registered
38,858 Posts
Harley's are a dry sump system.

Cant get more oil out than what was put in.....

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
How tight does your fill cap fit? Is the fill opening bent (out of round), any cuts in the cap's rubber? My friend's Heritage had a leaking oil fill caused by a collapsed/worn rubber on the cap. He cut a short piece from a garden hose and slipped it inside the cap to tighten up the fit. Also, check your oil bag/tank vent line. If it's clogged it will force oil out the cap. And as already suggested, make sure the tank is not overfilled.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
How tight does your fill cap fit? Is the fill opening bent (out of round), any cuts in the cap's rubber? My friend's Heritage had a leaking oil fill caused by a collapsed/worn rubber on the cap. He cut a piece from a garden hose and slipped it inside the cap to tighten up the fit. Also, check your oil bag/tank vent line. If it's clogged it will force oil out the cap. And as already suggested, make sure the tank is not overfilled.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How tight does your fill cap fit? Is the fill opening bent (out of round), any cuts in the cap's rubber? My friend's Heritage had a leaking oil fill caused by a collapsed/worn rubber on the cap. He cut a piece from a garden hose and slipped it inside the cap to tighten up the fit. Also, check your oil bag/tank vent line. If it's clogged it will force oil out the cap. And as already suggested, make sure the tank is not overfilled.
The cap itself seems ok, but I'm having my husband check the vent line now. Thanks for the advice, I'll let u know if that was the problem or not

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Keep us posted.

·
Flats where its at
35 Posts
look under the cam side [Right side] of the bike underneath from trans running forward... should be an oil line [the vent line],,, [maybe elsewhere on diff years] if its crimped or bent or obstructed in any way back pressure from engine will build and oil will come out cap,,, had a friend w/ this problem so we put a tighter [real tight] cap on tank... the pressure built a few minutes but it built up so much it blew the cap out with a loud bang and flew up about 200 feet in the air.... bet that's ur problem obstructed vent line.......... Ill bet on it
the craze

·
Veteran
28 Posts
I had a similar problem years ago. Since replacing the cap O ring did not stop the leak, you may want to replace the cap. Just a thought.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a similar problem years ago. Since replacing the cap O ring did not stop the leak, you may want to replace the cap. Just a thought.
Yes, i agree with that. I mentioned getting a new cap to my husband and he said it doesn't need it, but after checking the oil line for debris, dirt, etc, which turned out to be ok, my husband built up the cap a little. That seemed to have to stopped the leak until i rode about 30 miles. But there was only a drop of oil from the cap again. So, I'm just gonna order a new cap without telling him!! I'll let u all know if that does the trick. Thanks everyone for your great advice!

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,774 Posts
Yes, i agree with that. I mentioned getting a new cap to my husband and he said it doesn't need it, but after checking the oil line for debris, dirt, etc, which turned out to be ok, my husband built up the cap a little. That seemed to have to stopped the leak until i rode about 30 miles. But there was only a drop of oil from the cap again. So, I'm just gonna order a new cap without telling him!! I'll let u all know if that does the trick. Thanks everyone for your great advice!
You go girl! Tell him to quit being so cheap.

Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's 2008 Harley Davidson XL SPORTSTER® 1200C CUSTOM (CT) | OIL TANK W/ FILTER Parts List)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, So I was really stoked when I upgraded from a 750cc Honda Shadow Spirit to my very 1st Harley, a 2008 Sportster XL1200Custom, just One month ago. About 2 1/2 weeks ago, oil started leaking from the cap. The oil box was overfull, my husband removed a lot of oil... Nothing. He then changed the oil, replaced the oil filter and air filter, replaced the cap O ring, its apparently still leaking. This is a big problem cuz Everytime it does that, oil gets all over my chrome, my pipes and most concerning, my rear tire.
Has anyone experienced this problem or know what could be causing this? Could it be the oil pump? Or the pressure too high somehow? I know it's impossible to know without seeing the bike, I'm just looking for some one with experience with Harley's who might read this and think, "I know exactly what's going on..." And can offer some advice.
I can't really ride and haven't for over a week now. When you ride everyday, that's really difficult and I'm in serious rider withdrawal right now! ? Thanks for your help!
Also make sure that that's where the old is coming from I had that same issue with oil spraying out on to pipes and all that further into looking I find out one of the hoses that's connected to the air breather slash carburetor and to 2 holes on each cylinder jug was not sitting rite
Screenshot_20200417-212011_Gallery.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 2006 883 custom. The oil cap doesn't sit in the filler tube correctly. It's one of the oil caps that the top of it is supposed curve to match the outside of the tank (cover) when tightened and pushed in. It does not, however, and instead stops 90 degrees away from being in the correct, flush-fit position. I've replaced the cap, believing that it might have been over tightened at some point, causing the mismatched curved top. That did NOT fix it, the replacement cap was exactly like the original. Normally, I wouldn't be that fussy about it, but the cap pops up each time I sit down on the seat, in part I think because of the mismatched curves. And, this (somehow) contributes to oil leaking from the tank, as it is coating the outside of the tank cover with oil. BUT! That's not the whole problem, as I have noticed that the hollow plastic pop-up cap seems to fill with oil as well, and also contributes to the oil leak. HELP!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
you don't have the cap on correctly. Take the o-ring off the capand try putting the cap on , starting at different places. The cap on these can be a real pain to install correctly, it will go on partly, After you find the correct way, reinstall the o-ring and re-seat the cap, it can be a real bitch to get it down all the way! Try oiling the o-ring first

1 - 18 of 18 Posts