Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife loves going to garage sales and that was fine..as long as I don"t have to attend!
While spending some vacation time at a family cabin I got the pleasure of going to a few in town near cabin.
Now I have found some nice things over the years at garage sales it's still not worth it to me!
This one I went to satuday was held by some old man and he had some old stuff and I bought some old tools and a nearly new chain saw.
Next sale wife found a bunch of stuff she was going to keep in our camper back home and I was interested in a trolling motor and this old electric skillet?
My wife likes to negotiate prices and women holding sale was fine with the process then her ole man came out freakin"out about price of some stuff that my wife wanted that added up to 5 or 6 bucks, when I came over and ask what problem was he went back inside and I said we were not buyin" anything......another reason I don't care for garage sales....even though I bought a nice boat from a garage sale once>>>vent complete!!!:nod

·
Registered
795 Posts
We had one about 10 years ago and only made about 75 bucks. We'd have been better just taking the stuff to the Salvation Army. Most of the folks didn't negotiate with us, though, as the prices were insanely low to begin with. We just wanted to get rid of the stuff. Yes, I hate garage/yard sales too. Hate going and hate having them. But one thing was nice about it. We made some cash and didn't have to haul away anything.

·
Banned
482 Posts
We have one once in awhile when we accumulate a bunch of stuff we don't use anymore. What irks me is we price stuff like what it is, "junk" to us. Never fails the "professional" garage sellers grab almost everything. What a shame. We finally started pricing things 4X higher for the first 2 hours and then drop it to what we think it should be. At least now the "professionals" aren't getting everything. What a crock!

·
Banned
482 Posts
Isn't the idea to sell everything? Who cares who buys the "junk" as long as it's gone?
And that's why EVERYTHING is so expensive. Too many middlemen. I still get rid of everything the way I do it. It's just not all gone to the early bird resalers.:eek:uttahere:

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
We had a sale about 5 years ago...for my folks...put in the ad no sells before 8am...do not come till 8am...mother fuggers showed up at before 7...I ask them how did you find out about the sell...they said ..saw it in the paper....I said did you see the part about what time to come ? oh yea they said.....I had more fun telling them to get fug out of here you .......you get the ideal....then they wanted to get mad....they came back later and I thought I was going to have to get my gun and told them to get the fug out of here again and wouldn't sell them shit...:nod

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
There are a few around here that I will usually check out when they have one. They always have items for camping, hunting, fishing, tools, and motorcycle items. Got a really nice $250 tent (still in the Cabelas box) for $20. They don't have piles and piles of baby/kids/womens clothing.

The ones that have nothing but cloths and the OL exclaims, "I need to check this one out"......... I hate stopping at those ones.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
We have neighborhood and/or town wide garage/yard sales two or three times a year.

One year we made enough to buy a new pool liner!!:nod

People always try to negotiate,barter and even a few tried to trade stuff..just figured that was the norm?

There is a few people I know that go to garage sales, auctions and swap shops and then have their sale with the stuff they bought. They really don't make any money they just do it for fun!!!

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Going to a garage sale is like being on a forum you meet all types.

·
Banned
482 Posts
We had a sale about 5 years ago...for my folks...put in the ad no sells before 8am...do not come till 8am...mother fuggers showed up at before 7...I ask them how did you find out about the sell...they said ..saw it in the paper....I said did you see the part about what time to come ? oh yea they said.....I had more fun telling them to get fug out of here you .......you get the ideal....then they wanted to get mad....they came back later and I thought I was going to have to get my gun and told them to get the fug out of here again and wouldn't sell them shit...:nod
This is what I'm talking about. Those early ones do it to make money reselling. Jerks really irk me!!!:cussing

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
My wife and her buddy have them sometimes, and seem to do ok. I either leave or stay in the house. I don't do well with many of the "types" that have been mentioned in previous posts.
Last week I passed a yard sale that had a custom Flag theme painted Electra Glide visible in the garage. I stopped and took a look. He said he was about sold out, but I got chrome saddle bag filler strips -$5, chrome headlight visor - $5, horn and cover $5, derby cover -$2, and a Harley cap (not the adjustable kind) $1. These were all sticker prices. He really wanted to clean the place out. I sure wish I'd gotten there sooner. Oh yea, his bike was nice too!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Few years back, on a trip to the beach, I decided I would let the ex-wife finish the drive down and I would take a nap. Being awakened by the bumping of a rough road I see us pulling into a yard sale. No big deal until I realize we are no where near civilization and she had no sense of direction. After getting her yard sale jollies we commence to being lost for a little while. I learned a lot that day....

Did I mention the ex part....

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I live in a town that is on the main road for the worlds longest yard sale. The Highway 127 yard sale. It starts in KY and goes all the way through TN into Al. It's a huge pain in the arse to get around but I have found a couple of deals on the last few days of it. It's almost a week long anymore, it was at one time just three days. Always in August.

·
Banned
853 Posts
I hate people who dicker at garage sales. I'm selling this $300 set of cutlery for $25 and you want to talk me down $5? Really? Get a life.

A few years ago I was moving out of a house I sold and had a garage sale to thin out some stuff. I priced everything SUPER low just so it would sell fast. I'm talking a basically new Dewalt drill for $25, expensive dishes for 50¢ a plate or $5 for the whole set, and a $1000 couch for $100. Things like that. I couldn't believe how annoying people were. One a$$hole tried to talk me down from 25¢ to a nickel for a framed movie poster. I told him to [email protected] off. He finally just paid me the quarter.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
410 Posts
I live in a town that is on the main road for the worlds longest yard sale. The Highway 127 yard sale. It starts in KY and goes all the way through TN into Al.

Dang it, I had almost forgotten that sad day I got caught up in that crap on the Lookout Mountain Parkway in N.E Alabama. Nobody would get out of the road, just poke along at 10mph window shopping only to stop and point a few times then continue on. My mood went something like this. :think :loco :whoa :bluduh :what? :cussing :bigbarf

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If you don't like them for what ever reason don't have them or go to them.
When I was moving... I just out of the blue made a yard sale sign and put some stuff out there, almost eveyone that came by wanted to haggle over price...
I had stuff priced cheap and still the people tried to get the best deal they possible could...I don't blame them, lot of them live around here and don't have a lot of money and if they can save a buck or a quarter thats money they can spend on something else?

Had a couple mini-bikes and thought I had them priced to move and a guy that is known around my small town for wheelin" and dealin tried to get me to come down $25 bucks on them and I didn't so he split.

My neighbor that lived behind me came over with his two sons and offered me $10 dollars less then I was asking and I let them have it. Who knows maybe he took that 10 bucks and bought gas for the mini-bikes???

My experience with garage sales is very limited, but I think the nature of that beast is to haggle over prices!:mooning:

·
Banned
853 Posts
My experience with garage sales is very limited, but I think the nature of that beast is to haggle over prices!:mooning:
Not when it's already only 25¢, or the item is priced at 1% of its actual value.

Really? You want to shave a nickel off the cost of that used blender? Good god.

And don't even get me started on the "early arrivals" who will just wander onto your property and start rummaging around before you're even out of bed. It's unbelievable. Somebody else already hit this point, but I agree.

Anyway, this is why I just take sh!t to Goodwill now. Or give it away.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Not when it's already only 25¢, or the item is priced at 1% of its actual value.

Really? You want to shave a nickel off the cost of that used blender? Good god.

And don't even get me started on the "early arrivals" who will just wander onto your property and start rummaging around before you're even out of bed. It's unbelievable. Somebody else already hit this point, but I agree.

Anyway, this is why I just take sh!t to Goodwill now. Or give it away.

I know what yer sayin brutha, dem people can be crazy... ole ladies that will run yer azz over to get to a yard sale:laugh Kinda like wal-mart during X-mas sale or black friday whatever they call that day when everyone goes nuts and they change name to Brawl-mart:laugh

Thats how the yard/garage sale folks are....Its a hobby for them, its their entertainment or something :laugh

Its a world all to itself and outsiders may never get it:laugh

1 - 20 of 20 Posts