Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
harleyman15801
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya I have a question my battery has been getting week had to keep charging it so yesterday I went to hd shop got a new one when I was putting it in I had the positive cable hooked up and went to bolt the ground on and im getting a slight spark this tells me its got something drawing power from the battery im thinking but I am not familiar with the electrical system on a 04 fxst softail is this normal? Thanks in advanced

·
Retired citizen
24,285 Posts
The small spark is normal, the electrical system is energizing.

·
Just Ride
3,754 Posts
Ecm,voltage regulator,odometer etc all have parasitic draw.

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Little late now you bought a new one. The HD shop can do a test on your original battery, print out a test on bats condition. They did mine last week on my original 09's battery.

Here are the results: voltage 12.66, CCA 373 . Both my self and shop guy were impressed with its performance.

If yours tests somewhere in good range could keep it for a spare or what ever. Or may be you have another problem... Test is free. Ride Safe

I always keep it on a tender 24/7

·
Registered
638 Posts
MOst auto parts stores will test your battery for free. Autozone, Advance, Napa all do. Just take it in and 1 minute later you have a printout of its condition.

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Testing should be done with a fully charged battery then run test. A one minuet test is not correct.

·
harleyman15801
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the reply's. I believe it is normal when I make contact with the ground wire its the odometer doing the draw. I am going to have the old one checked anyhow just because but im shure it was going bad thanks again to all your help.

·
Poser Member # 99
18,144 Posts
you could try pulling fuses and see if your still getting draw

Always have your old battery load tested first to rule out battery .You could still have problem and spent a 100.00 dollars for nothing

good luck let us know how this turns out or problem still exists

1 - 9 of 9 Posts