Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know Dinero No Mas said his engine guards folded on impact, has anybody else seen some fail on impact, and how did they fail?

I believe for minimal extra effort and material cost, I can reinforce guards so they cannot fold or break nearly as easily.... IF that sounds like a good idea.

My theory is that the pipe couldn't easily bend by folding in on itself, if the pipe wasn't hollow.

Simply filling it with epoxy or a fibreglass filled resin putty would make it comparatively very difficult to bend but it might just fracture and shear in half instead.

If I had a good supply of thin, strong fiberglass or carbon fiber rods and they are small and flexible enough to shove into a small hole on one end of an engine guard's metal tubing, maybe from each end, and have the fiberglass rods snake around corners and reach the far end of the inside of the engine guard. I also have a sizable roll of some hardened steel wire, very difficult to cut with wire cutters. I'd like to see the entire interior cavity of the engine guard packed full of hard but flexible fiberglass rods and wire and then the remaining cavity forced totally full of glass filled epoxy resin under pressure.
Theoretically, the solidly filled interior of the pipe would make it nearly impossible to bend, and for it to shear in half anywhere along the reinforced length, the many pieces of tightly packed and epoxied together strong fiberglass rods and wire would have to be willing to quickly shear along the same line, and that seems very unlikely to happen easily.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
I think you would transmit the force to the "bars" mountings, and the meager fasteners they use there would snap/shear/bend rather quickly. Possibly bend frame components.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you would transmit the force to the "bars" mountings, and the meager fasteners they use there would snap/shear/bend rather quickly. Possibly bend frame components.
Since my very low speed V-Rod slip and fall broke my foot AND bent the frame, I think there's room for improvement. I wouldn't expect the engine guards to take a hit on a pole and bounce the bike off unharmed, but if I hit a large dog with a glancing blow down one side, and there may be a possibility of tearing off my leg or splitting me at the hip like a chicken, I think I'd prefer some more structural resistance ahead of my structure, whatever the damage to the vehicle.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Talking with the service techs in town they both agreed that most often when the guards bend so does the frame. I would therefore expect that if that is true, then making the bars more bend resistant would subject the frame to more stress in a crash. Your lower leg and foot may be more protected.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
N... I've seen guards bend, break off at the mount, and also totally stay in place in a mishap. I think however for the most part, they are designed to protect bike and lower limbs in a tipover or very low speed incident (which I think was essentially your situation right?) BTW, how is your foot?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
how is your foot?
I'm fine, I've been riding every day for about 3 weeks now, the ankle still hurts a little, occasionally, and I still wrap it, partly to keep it from swelling and partly as padding.

Got a pair of decent HD boots, almost exactly like the ones I still can't get on, these have a zipper, ( but it's a manly zipper, ) either I can't point my foot enough, or the girth at my ankle is slightly bigger with the metal strap, anyway I can't get my old boots on.

My wife keeps telling me it will always hurt. She has screws in her feet from bunion surgery 15 years ago, and seems to be enjoying the company.

The V-Rod still needs a headlight, I thought I was ready to ride it, till I found the bottom of the headlight is fractured, so it's ordered.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"...have something to commiserate with your wide on.
There are not many typographical errors that I'd consider dangerous,
but getting "wide" when you meant to type "wife" seems like a good bet.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
All being said and done I'd rather see you get some thicker walled tubing use a good bender and do some welding, make a custom Engine guard for the bike. As opposed to try to cram all that stuff you mentioned around two or three bends of a stock guard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts