Harley Davidson Forums banner

Have You Taken a Motorcycle Safety Course?

• Yes, I have

Votes: 129 54.4%
  • Yes, I have taken the advanced course

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • No,

Votes: 65 27.4%
  • No, Safety is for Sissys. Me know how to ride good.

Votes: 6 2.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the recent safety talk has me wondering.......

How many of us have actually taken the MSF course?

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
I did.. the course actually got me hooked on riding, never rode before. Came out of a turn, rolled on the throttle.... that was it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I never took one, but have been riding on and off since 1981. Don't feel I need it, but no matter how much experience you have, I guess the class may teach us all a few things we didn't know before.

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
I did. Well worth the money and I plan to take the advanced class this summer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Harley Rider
10,489 Posts
For those whou haven't taken it or those who never had to take it, I highly recommend that they do. Very informative and will make you think safety.

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,288 Posts
Been on mostly dirt 50's to 500s forever. Switched to HD after tired of lumps, bumps and bruses. Been riding of and on for over 50 years now.

Took the advanced course 2 years ago to check skill sets and insurance reduction. 15% reduction is nice so will take a cource again in a year or two.

Very good experience. Especially watching other riders some better (maybe) and some needing lots of help. Will do it again.

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Yubbles...

·
EVO RULER
3,722 Posts
Took it learned several things from it. Good thing for everyone to do. However the instructors are biased against lowered customs and long bikes. The lack of knowledge they display on the handling of these type of bikes is amazing!

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took it learned several things from it. Good thing for everyone to do. However the instructors are biased against lowered customs and long bikes. The lack of knowledge they display on the handling of these type of bikes is amazing!
Without a doubt.

In the end I am very happy that I took the course as I learned a few things. However, the only reason I took it was to get my endorsement.

The instructors in my course were very "square". If I am the one saying it you can only imagine. They all ride clean stock bikes using perfect sitting positions and reflective neon vests.

My test day was rained out and I couldn't wait so I went to the DMV and took it on my Night Train and passed. I saw my instructors a week later and one was impressed, and the other said he would have never tested me because my exhaust was too loud.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
How many of you took the course because it was mandatory? Or you were just learning to ride so thought it would be a good idea? How about the guys with lots of ridding time before you took it, what was it you learned that impressed upon you it was a good idea to take the course?

·
EVO RULER
3,722 Posts
I took it so a couple of brothers would take it and not ride without an endorsement the insurance reduction was a plus too.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How many of you took the course because it was mandatory? Or you were just learning to ride so thought it would be a good idea? How about the guys with lots of ridding time before you took it, what was it you learned that impressed upon you it was a good idea to take the course?
I started riding off road (maybe a little on road) when I was 13. At 18 I started riding sportbikes without my endorsement. I rode for 5 years like that, luckily never getting caught. Then I didnt ride for almost 10 years.

When I got back into it I wanted an M on my license to be able to ride without worrying all the time.

This is an embarrassing confession, but the biggest thing I learned was to look through the turns. I never really did that.

The best thing I learned was that it is not very hard to ride a motorcycle fast. At speed inertia does a lot to keep you upright. Slow speed riding takes skill and lots of practice.

·
Earth-bound Misfit
607 Posts
I don't remember them being available when I was learning. My cousin took me out one night after dinner and showed me what was what and how it worked. Then he rode along next to me on a bicycle shouting out what to do. After that, I just practiced riding up and down the road.

When I went to get my learners permit, you had to "ride in the company of another licensed rider." It was two weeks of that before you could take the proficiency test and hopefully get your license.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Around here, the advanced courses are far more helpful.

With the beginner's, everyone rides the little bikes they provide. They are little Honda Nighthawks.

But with the advanced course, you ride your own bike. I consider that to be much more helpful.

I am considering taking the advanced course on my EGC if only because I think it will be a completely different experience.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,370 Posts
Took it in 1980 Had to so I could ride while in the USMC on base. Still use a lot of what I learned way back then. Still remember how to drop it and get on top and ride it to the under carriage. In 1980 is was a LEO teamed up with a flat tracker. But the course was good and we had a lot of fun doing it. Learned to use a Hot Shoe from the Track guy, learned to do all the slow speed drills from the LEO.

Leo and Flat Tracker both taught us how to crash properly. I don't think they teach all the crash stuff anymore, but I used it twice, once on a GS1100G and walked away no helmet. And once on a Seca 750 no helmet walked away, both times driveway backouts directly in front of me. Shoved the bike to the ground climbed on the top part of the seat and rode it to the site of the crash.

I think the MSF was like 5 or 6 years old then, it was still a pretty new concept, but the DOD loved it after we had 22 service members killed in Cali on the highways they made it mandatory to ride a motorbike on base.

Lane selection was a big thing with the CHP motorpatrol and I still use that to this day as well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm enrolled in a motorcycle safety course scheduled for next Saturday. I've been riding street bikes for 35 years and dirt bikes for much longer than that. I know that I can always learn something new or how to do something better. Sometimes a refresher class is a good idea. The investment of a little time can pay big dividends in safety. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol offers a free day long class at several locations around the Oklahoma. I heard good things about their program. The price is right and the insurance discount is a plus. YouTube has videos a different safety courses. They may seem elementary to some, but I think they're worth the time. kp

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just took it last weekend partly because the military says I have to and partly because I wanted to. Learned a few things but really looking forward to the advanced course next month.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts