Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday while riding my sporty would backfire spit and sputter then die. Would not start back up for about 15-20 min. Did this several times throughout the day (Hwy Driving). Was told that the coil was probably the problem, so bought and installed a new coil drove around town all the next day. Today doing it again, went 60 miles and it died, waited about 20 min and it started backup, drove about 20 miles did it again, then did it several more times before I could get it home. I'm thinking now that the ignition module is bad. Any input would be helpful, as this is my first bike and I'm new to riding, so I don't know squat. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Suggest a quick search on here, and others may gave a better idea than me, but i recall reading that what you describe us often a crank position sensor. I may be wrong though, so again a search is best.

·
Just Ride
3,751 Posts
What year? Pick up coil is possible what they meant to change.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 2003 xl1200c and I have no idea what a pic-up coil is or where it would be And thank you for your reply

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Might just as well get that Harley Sportster manual now cause your gonna need it later .
Its just part of owning a Harley . When they don't work , its pure hell & you will want to sell it . But when you get it fixed & working right , its pure heaven ! Yes , they are worth it .

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Ignition Module location Used one on Ebay $60.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Igni...er-32478-04-/291463802619?hash=item43dc98aefb Before you go buying an expensive piece of electronics. I would check out fuel issues. I do not know if you have fuel injection or carburetor. If Carb the Float bowl needle seat may not be sealing flooding it out. Leaks in the intake seals. If Fuel injected it could be the fuel control or management system.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
The next time it dies on you remove the gas tank filler cap to let some air in. Put the cap back on and see if it runs OK. If that works then you have a plugged tank vent value. If it doesn't work then keep looking.

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
Cam position sensor / ignition pickup located inside the "points cover". The "points cover" is on the cam cover below the air cleaner.
There's a test for that in a sticky in the electrical section.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts