Harley Davidson Forums banner

Hawaiians on a 2015 Summer Run

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  PoiDog 
#1 ·
LOL! On Maui, we can't even do 100 miles in a day.... That being said, some of us are planning a SFO to Tahoe/Reno to Central Oregon, down the Oregon/California coasts and back to San Fran. We got rental (touring) bikes for 14 days. Some of us are on Social Security ... Seriously, we would like to spend time enjoying the views and not just putting hundreds of miles on daily. While most of us have circled the Big Island in a day (225 miles or so) not many of us have ridden the highways of California, Nevada and Oregon.

We've come up with a preliminary route. Opinions are welcomed.

Day 1 - Pick up bikes San Fran to Placerville, CA
Day 2 - Placerville to Reno
Day 3 - Reno to Susanville
Day 4 - Susanville to Klamath Falls
Day 5 - Klamath Falls to Bend
Day 6 - Bend to Hood River
Day 7 - Hood River to Salem
Day 8 - Salem to Florence
Day 9 - Florence to Gold Beach
Day 10 - Gold Beach to Eureka
Day 11 - Eureka to Ford Bragg
Day 12 - Fort Bragg to Healdsburg
Day 13 - Healdsburg through Alexander Valley, Napa, Sonoma to San Fran
Day 14 - Return bikes San Fran -

We're tourists... have mercy. :eek

See less See more
#6 ·
Made some changes thanks to input...

Day 1 - Pick up bikes San Fran to Sutter Creek or Jackson (was Placerville)
Day 2 - Sutter Creek or Jackson to Lake Tahoe via CA88/50 (Was Reno)
Day 3 - Lake Tahoe to ** somewhere on CA89?** (was Susanville) Any ideas as to lodging along CA89?
Day 4 - ** Somewhere on CA89** (was Susanville) to Mt. Shasta or Bieber? (was Klamath Falls) Any thoughts between these two?
Day 5 - Mt. Shasta or Bieber? to Klamath Falls
Day 6 - Klamath Falls to Bend
Day 7 - Bend to The Dalles (was Hood River)
Day 8 - The Dalles to Salem
Day 9 - Salem to Florence
Day 10 - Florence to Gold Beach
Day 11 - Gold Beach to Eureka
Day 12 - Eureka to Ford Bragg
Day 13 - Fort Bragg to Healdsburg
Day 14 - Healdsburg through Alexander Valley, Napa, Sonoma to San Fran
End of 14th riding day - Return bikes SFO

It was suggested to avoid the very northern end of CA1, between Eureka and Fort Bragg, and instead detour through Willits.

Mahalo, people!

:feedback:

#9 ·
Yup. That was part of the plan... Crater Lake. Licker store is good, gun shop is better... ;)

Sounds like a good plan PoiDog, how many of you are there?
I have a place in West Point CA only about 16 miles from Jackson and Sutter Creek. I know the area, let me know what the dates are and maybe I can arrange for a night at my place depending on how many riders there will be. Middle of May or late Sept are good times for riding the mountains. Lake Tahoe only 60 miles away.
Thanks Trout1. There's a couple that winterize here every year that live in Jackson. They also offered to host a meal for us. Right now we're at about 10... Lord knows by the time of the trip we may be down to 4-6. Tentative schedule is July 8-22, 2015. Jackson/Sutter Creek is at the start.

Mahalo for the input, folks.

#8 ·
Sounds like a good plan PoiDog, how many of you are there?
I have a place in West Point CA only about 16 miles from Jackson and Sutter Creek. I know the area, let me know what the dates are and maybe I can arrange for a night at my place depending on how many riders there will be. Middle of May or late Sept are good times for riding the mountains. Lake Tahoe only 60 miles away.

#14 ·
Made some changes thanks to input... Again. ;) Thanks for the input.

Day 1 - Pick up bikes San Fran to Sutter Creek or Jackson
Day 2 - Sutter Creek or Jackson to Lake Tahoe via CA88/50
Day 3 - Lake Tahoe to Mineral, CA (was ** somewhere on CA89?**)
Day 4 - Mineral, CA to Mt. Shasta (was Bieber) (was Klamath Falls)
Day 5 - Mount Shasta to Klamath Falls
Day 6 - Klamath Falls to Bend
Day 7 - Bend to The Dalles (was Hood River)
Day 8 - The Dalles to Salem
Day 9 - Salem to Florence
Day 10 - Florence to Gold Beach
Day 11 - Gold Beach to Eureka
Day 12 - Eureka to Ford Bragg
Day 13 - Fort Bragg to Healdsburg
Day 14 - Healdsburg through Alexander Valley, Calistoga, Napa, Sonoma to make our way into the city to spend the final night. We'll top-off fuel and return the bikes in San Francisco the next day.

Thanks for the info about Weed. Looks like we may pass through Weed on our way to Klamath Falls. I did in fact kind of LOL when I noticed the name of the town and the area's connection to the herb... ;).

Mahalo, people! I appreciate your input.

:thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.