Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Single Dad
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone here has used them (Hayden M6 BTxx).. ? I have a 2009 FXD, and I cant seem to find the one for mine. They don't seem to list one, so I am assuming, they don't make one for the 2009 Dyna?

Anyway.. thanks all.>
Adkg12

·
TGPNW
640 Posts
Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone here has used them (Hayden M6 BTxx).. ? I have a 2009 FXD, and I cant seem to find the one for mine. They don't seem to list one, so I am assuming, they don't make one for the 2009 Dyna?

Anyway.. thanks all.>
Adkg12
Have you called them,,, 1-800-664-6872

·
Banned
681 Posts
I was under the impression that all 2009's came from the factory with an automatic primary chain adjuster !
Correct; - my understanding is, if there's no inspection cover in the outer primary then there is an OEM automatic tensioner.

I think there have been previous threads on this forum criticizing the OEM version - rapid wear? Maybe that's why people still want the M6?

·
Retired citizen
22,080 Posts
All '07 and newer big twins have the auto adjuster. The '06 Dyna was the first to come with them.

·
Single Dad
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I need to change the oil anyway, so I think I will just pull the primary and have a look see. I "think" I am hearing a little chain slap when I disengage the clutch (in gear) sometimes and I want to make sure its all kosher in there. I called the Hayden people and left a message, so maybe they will call me back..
Thanks again.>
Glen

·
Registered
795 Posts
Bt07 should work. I have one on my 2007 Dyna Street bob 96 ci. Have heard tales of overtightening and got scared and put one on my bike. It,s an easy install. Stock auto tensioner seemed to bee working ok, though.

·
Banned
681 Posts
I've got one installed in my 2010 Dyna Wide Glide -- it replaced Harleys POS auto tensioner.
What exactly is wrong with the OEM one? How does the M6 get over that? I've had both M6 with springs and a hydraulic tensioner on previous bikes so I know they work but I can't feel/hear anything wrong with the OEM one on my -08 Dyna.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I can't be for sure if there is anything wrong with the stock one, either. I heard it can ratchet up too tight and put unnecessary stress on bearings and the chain. I didn't see anything unusual with the stock one on my bike (4500 miles, 2007 96 ci Street Bob). I had debated with myself over whether I should even change it or not, but since I already had it and had the cover off, I went ahead.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I replaced the stock tensioner in both my 2010 Wide Glide and 2010 Road King. Also installed the SE compensator which is standard on 2011 and up.

The OEM tensioner overtightened my chain causing inner primary bearing failure at 20,000 miles on the Road King and starting to fail at 6,000 miles on the Side Glide.

·
Banned
681 Posts
I replaced the stock tensioner in both my 2010 Wide Glide and 2010 Road King. Also installed the SE compensator which is standard on 2011 and up.

The OEM tensioner overtightened my chain causing inner primary bearing failure at 20,000 miles on the Road King and starting to fail at 6,000 miles on the Side Glide.
That's not good news! I really don't understand how the MoCo can get it so wrong when the M6 had been around for so long - surely they must have done the research and tested the hell out of their own solution. Oh well, something to add to the todo list for next winter!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts