Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Try'n to behave
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was in the primary taking care of the compensator issue (and the developing clutch issue 😤 ) I decided that I would replace my the stock chain tensioner with a Haden since it was open anyway.

Going through the install instructions (yes, I actually use those things) I was concerned because the gap between the bottom of the shoe and the top of the bottom plate was only 1/4" and the instructions said to shim up extra slack to 3/8" so I placed a call to Hayden. The lady at the other end of that call said that 1/4" is fine, that 3/8" is the maximum so everything should be good there.

What she said after that had me question moving forward. She said not to run ATF in the primary. I know there are a bunch of threads on using ATF in the primary and that is why I was going to do it. She said that it wouldn't damage the tensioner, but that it might get hot, especially with me living in south Florida...in the summer.

Do any of you other southerners living in a hot area and run ATF in your primary have any issues, or does anyone know of a reason I should do it? The upsides all seem to be pointing to me wanting to do it, but I don't need any issues down the road.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
While I was in the primary taking care of the compensator issue (and the developing clutch issue 😤 ) I decided that I would replace my the stock chain tensioner with a Haden since it was open anyway.

Going through the install instructions (yes, I actually use those things) I was concerned because the gap between the bottom of the shoe and the top of the bottom plate was only 1/4" and the instructions said to shim up extra slack to 3/8" so I placed a call to Hayden. The lady at the other end of that call said that 1/4" is fine, that 3/8" is the maximum so everything should be good there.

What she said after that had me question moving forward. She said not to run ATF in the primary. I know there are a bunch of threads on using ATF in the primary and that is why I was going to do it. She said that it wouldn't damage the tensioner, but that it might get hot, especially with me living in south Florida...in the summer.

Do any of you other southerners living in a hot area and run ATF in your primary have any issues, or does anyone know of a reason I should do it? The upsides all seem to be pointing to me wanting to do it, but I don't need any issues down the road.
I live in the So Cal desert. Our summer temps run up to 120* sometimes higher. I have been running ATF in the primaries of both bikes (really all three bikes, if i include Eric's that i do the maintenance on). Eric's did fry his stator last summer. The thought of ATF causing this never even entered my mind. When we replaced the rotor and stator (along with the V/R). I serviced the primary with ATF. No other issues have been seen on these three.
It makes sense in my mind that the thinner viscosity of the ATF vs 20w50 syn3, is the ATF should be able to dissipate the heat more easily. I could be completely wrong. But it seems to be working well.

Reactions: Pred8er

·
Try'n to behave
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in the So Cal desert. Our summer temps run up to 120* sometimes higher. I have been running ATF in the primaries of both bikes (really all three bikes, if i include Eric's that i do the maintenance on). Eric's did fry his stator last summer. The thought of ATF causing this never even entered my mind. When we replaced the rotor and stator (along with the V/R). I serviced the primary with ATF. No other issues have been seen on these three.
It makes sense in my mind that the thinner viscosity of the ATF vs 20w50 syn3, is the ATF should be able to dissipate the heat more easily. I could be completely wrong. But it seems to be working well.

That's good to hear...and makes sense. Like I said, I like all the advantages of using it that I have read about.

Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
That's good to hear...and makes sense. Like I said, I like all the advantages of using it that I have read about.

Thanks for the reply.
Just think of the heat and pressures in an automatic transmission in a heavy car or truck with lots of torque. ATF shouldn't be a problem in a Harley primary. That being said I switched to Motul Twin primary oil after talking with a tech rep. He said they worked hard to get good clutch release, smooth engagement and worked to get a formula that would help clutch lock up. It does seem to meet those claims, especially a smooth engagement.

·
Try'n to behave
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just think of the heat and pressures in an automatic transmission in a heavy car or truck with lots of torque. ATF shouldn't be a problem in a Harley primary. That being said I switched to Motul Twin primary oil after talking with a tech rep. He said they worked hard to get good clutch release, smooth engagement and worked to get a formula that would help clutch lock up. It does seem to meet those claims, especially a smooth engagement.
That's one thing that I was really looking for; less "clunk" and easier to find neutral as well smooth engagement during shifting. Before doing the work, I was getting quite a bit of grabbing and I am hoping to stop that.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
That's one thing that I was really looking for; less "clunk" and easier to find neutral as well smooth engagement during shifting. Before doing the work, I was getting quite a bit of grabbing and I am hoping to stop that.
That Clunk when shifting into first seems to be designed into the trans by HD! Mine clunks!

Otherwise shifting is smooth and quiet (transmission and primary noise wise). I have learned to preload the shifter, (taking up the slack in the shifter before activating the clutch, then just burp the clutch and make the shift.) This method really smooths and quickens the gear change.

No issues at all (grabbing or crawling or slipping) with the clutches. No strange noises coming from the primary, other than when the sporty primary chain manual adjuster wants some attention. Also, when that primary chain gets out of spec, neutral gets elusive. Otherwise the N on all three bikes is smooth and simple to hit 99.5%.

The other not hardly mentioned adjustment that makes Neutral want to play hide n' seek is that vertical shift link connection between the inner and outer primary covers (On the Big Twins). That lower pinch bolt is known to back off torque. When it does, the ease of neutral or lack of, will tell me about it. Keep that pinch bolt tight! I check it at every oil change and every water bath, now that i know about it.

While on the subject: The ball connections (That i can never remember the name of) on the BT shift links: The manual says to lube them with grease.. NO! Grease collects dirt! Spray them with Gun oil with Teflon!. No dirt, no gime and they stay slippery and smooth. Crazy how much they affect the smoothness of the shift!

·
Registered
3 Posts
With the Hayden l just replaced my compensator on my 09 FLHT with a Baker and a new primary chain and l too only had a !/4 of inch gap at the heel of the hayden. l also felt the primary chain at the top had a small amount of movement at 1/2 an inch. Tried emailing hayden twice with no reply. l bought the hayden in 2013 and fitted it to the primary with the factory compensator and even then l thought it was a tad tight . Is there two hayden tensioners one for the longer primary on the soft tail twin cams and one for the shorter touring models

·
Try'n to behave
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the Hayden l just replaced my compensator on my 09 FLHT with a Baker and a new primary chain and l too only had a !/4 of inch gap at the heel of the hayden. l also felt the primary chain at the top had a small amount of movement at 1/2 an inch. Tried emailing hayden twice with no reply. l bought the hayden in 2013 and fitted it to the primary with the factory compensator and even then l thought it was a tad tight . Is there two hayden tensioners one for the longer primary on the soft tail twin cams and one for the shorter touring models
I believe there are a couple (maybe a few) different models available. Would have to check to see which one fits your bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your reply Pred8er lve looked at their site and as far as l can tell l have the correct one, it being M6 BT 07 l went out to the shed and found the original box it came in . But on another note whilst looking around for info you can buy a chinese copy titled under automatic harley tensioners . What dont they steal and copy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just for those that are interested , still no reply from Hayden which is pretty piss poor. l have ditched the Hayden and fitted a new late model factory tensioner 39929-06B and everything is fine . Personaly l do not recomend the Hayden for the twin cam touring models, they run to tight. For the softtail models with the longer primary l dont see a problem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts