Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys, I am new to this forum and need help from an HD boffin.

I have a 2007 Dyna Street Bob, I live in South Africa and the nearest HD dealer is 800km (500 miles) away.

Symptom: Once, previously, the immobilizer would not allow me to start the bike. (I then lived close to a dealer) HD mechanic + computer told me he found a loose wire in the harness in the steering head area. Now bike has same symptoms.

1. Bike battery is good.
2. Fob(s) batteries are good.
3. All electronics (ECM + security/turn indicator module + antenna + fobs
) sent by post to HD dealer. Same plugged into another bike and found all OK.

4. Plug into my bike and do the 'boot up' sequence of ign. on, Run - on, etc. ECM + immobilizer all talk to Fob(s).

5. Switch on ignition. ODO lights up, speedo needle dips, then returns to zero; but headlight / neutral light and low oil pressure lights DO NOT illuminate!

Result: Unable to start bike.

Approach without a fob and unable to over-ride security system by inserting PIN code. Alarm then sounds.

What is the problem?

It has to be in the wiring harness from handlebars to steering head as previous owner had large diameter high handlebars fitted.

Thanks. In desperation, Chalkie.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Stupid question but are you sure you have the correct PIN #? With fob present can you change the PIN? Just thinking out loud. I am sure the more in the know will be along shortly and try to guide you in the right direction. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Banned
681 Posts
If the ECM and TSSM work in another bike then I'm guessing it has to be in the wiring of your bike. I don't know any other way but to check out all the connectors and fuses etc. When the ECM blew on mine the dealership also found that all the relay/fuse connectors were very badly corroded, especially the system relay - they don't put grease on them at the factory. Since you're near the sea (envy, envy - I just love SA!) they could be in bad shape. Good Luck and don't forget to report back so we can all learn!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I forgot to say that I replaced the two relays as well (one grey, one black) but this did not help.

It HAS to be a wiring problem, not PIN (tail gunner, take note) as the Fobs are taking to the security system, but no lights on = no start machine.

·
Retired citizen
25,840 Posts
I suggest that if the gauges work try pulling up the codes . There should be stored codes , that will help in the diagnosis .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem is that I cannot get the Odo window to display dashes to allow me to enter the PIN as pressing both turn indicator buttons does nothing.

I have now ascertained that when the previous owner had the higher large diameter handlebars fitted, that the harnesses had to be extended, so I will now push the pins out of the connectors and remove the harnesses from the handlebars and check all for continuity.

Report back next week. Not at home now...

·
Banned
681 Posts
The problem is that I cannot get the Odo window to display dashes to allow me to enter the PIN as pressing both turn indicator buttons does nothing.

I have now ascertained that when the previous owner had the higher large diameter handlebars fitted, that the harnesses had to be extended, so I will now push the pins out of the connectors and remove the harnesses from the handlebars and check all for continuity.

Report back next week. Not at home now...
Good Luck Chalkie - if you get desperate I'm willing to come over and help for a few days if you pay my airfare - I'll even buy the Windhoek Lager! :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm normally dummernshit but sounds to me like you might need another download - maybe. It helped mine --- I had some low voltage issues on my '11 heritage that caused symptoms different from the ones you're experiencing but they affected my console, just the same, and kicked my ABS off, until I cleared the codes. I'd have to do that maybe twice a month or ride without ABS. After having it, I won't be without it again, if I have a choice.

Edited: It actually took a new battery and a re-download to fix mine. I'd left my lights on, after I parked my bike, soon after I'd gotten it. It still had enough left in it to pump fuel and give me spark, so I was able to get 3 guys to push me and it lit in 2nd or 3rd, I can't remember which - trying like hell to blot the whole thing out of my mem chip. Anyway, that's when I started throwing the codes. Turns out, if you let your battery drain ONCE, it MAY fukidup.

At any rate, just thinking out loud and I'd like to take this opportunity to refer you back to the first three words of this post.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good Luck Chalkie - if you get desperate I'm willing to come over and help for a few days if you pay my airfare - I'll even buy the Windhoek Lager!

Hey, Baldrick, how-the-ell did you know I drink Windhoek and not Castle?

Back home, found the problem, so simple that it is stoooopid.

When mechanic pulled harness wires and plugs out of the steering head to find problem and pushed the plugs back...

He dislodged the three pin plug that goes on to the back of the ignition/key switch.

With the tank off, I was able to pack the harness wires and plugs neatly and now I am mobile again..

Thanks to all for input.

·
Banned
681 Posts
Congrats Chalkie. Glad to hear you're mobile again and thanks for letting us know the ending.
Since you own a Harley you obviously have taste. No-one with taste would drink Castle. Simple logic m'lord!

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2007 Dyna Street Bob, I live in South Africa and the nearest HD dealer is 800km (500 miles) away.

Symptom: Once, previously, the immobilizer would not allow me to start the bike. (I then lived close to a dealer) HD mechanic + computer told me he found a loose wire in the harness in the steering head area. Now bike has same symptoms.

1. Bike battery is good.

4. Plug into my bike and do the 'boot up' sequence of ign. on, Run - on, etc. ECM + immobilizer all talk to Fob(s).

5. Switch on ignition. ODO lights up, speedo needle dips, then returns to zero; but headlight / neutral light and low oil pressure lights DO NOT illuminate!

Approach without a fob and unable to over-ride security system by inserting PIN code. Alarm then sounds.

What is the problem?

It has to be in the wiring harness from handlebars to steering head as previous owner had large diameter high handlebars fitted.

Check operation of left turning light. Also check and spray connector with W40 on the left side where signal light is passing thru.

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,049 Posts
Man! His bike has been parked for the last 9 years just waiting for your post to save him!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man! His bike has been parked for the last 9 years just waiting for your post to save him!
NOPE. Three posts above yours I said I had found the problem and fixed it.

I cannot possibly be the first person in the world to find that cramming electrical harnesses and connectors into the steering head can dislodge the connector on the back of the ignition switch. Such a simple fix to a seemingly complex problem, others MUST have had the problem before me.

Happy 2022...

Reactions: TaxmanHog

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
^^^ Sarcasm factor completely missed, sensitivity level must be set to minimum.

·
Registered
33 Posts

1. Bike battery is good.

What is the problem?

A FOOL AND HIS MONEY SHALL BE DEPARTED

I have a 07 fxdb at 67,000 rebuilt motor after scorching rear cylinder with S&S stuff to 10.25/107 cu, thunder-max self tune, thunder header exhaust. Bike ran good then started killing battery so after many bucks to three bike shops, new FOB from dealer, and then from bike shop. I finally replaced the main wire harness and bike is in security lock mode. I hot-wired starter directly to battery and bike fires right up and runs dandy but red key light stays on. Turn off and red key light comes on and nothing happens when hitting starter button. I lost my pin set at dealer and no longer go to dealer where I bought bike and had 103 SE installed. Dealer flatly ripped me off in insurance claim work and would not refund $300 for labor they never did listed on their estimate to R&R fender. So I will never go there again. I understand I need to get original PIN to reset security mode. Just reading the stuff about resetting security or checking for codes gives me head ache and I admit I am PC illiterate below moron stage. all Harley dealerships are over 200 miles from my outback environment. Question is let Harley do it-right?

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,049 Posts

I have a 07 fxdb at 67,000 rebuilt motor after scorching rear cylinder with S&S stuff to 10.25/107 cu, thunder-max self tune, thunder header exhaust. Bike ran good then started killing battery so after many bucks to three bike shops, new FOB from dealer, and then from bike shop. I finally replaced the main wire harness and bike is in security lock mode. I hot-wired starter directly to battery and bike fires right up and runs dandy but red key light stays on. Turn off and red key light comes on and nothing happens when hitting starter button. I lost my pin set at dealer and no longer go to dealer where I bought bike and had 103 SE installed. Dealer flatly ripped me off in insurance claim work and would not refund $300 for labor they never did listed on their estimate to R&R fender. So I will never go there again. I understand I need to get original PIN to reset security mode. Just reading the stuff about resetting security or checking for codes gives me head ache and I admit I am PC illiterate below moron stage. all Harley dealerships are over 200 miles from my outback environment. Question is let Harley do it-right?
You got to. If you could do it yourself, that security system wouldn't be very secure would it?

Reactions: JLR

·
Retired citizen
25,840 Posts

If the bike starts and runs by jumping the starter then the security system isn't causing the bike to not run in the first place. Also changing the main wire harness has nothing to do with the security system.

Reactions: Kainam and JLR

·
Registered
33 Posts
If the bike starts and runs by jumping the starter then the security system isn't causing the bike to not run in the first place. Also changing the main wire harness has nothing to do with the security system.
OK, I am at wits end dealing with problems. Replaced, had fixed allegedly but SOS. bike ran great until I stopped for gas and the security mode stuff flashing turn signals red key and nothing. checked fuses no go. When I bought bike new it would do this stuff at gas stations pumps. I pushed it about 75 feet from pumps and it would start and run good until next time. Sometimes idiot lights would come on when on highway. I just turned off ignition and back on they would go away. Dealership said they found no problems when it was under warranty. Unfortunately, this dealer was notorious for not honoring warranty and recalls unless threatened with small claims court. He sold to guy worse than he was. I won't do business with this dealership ever again. Time to HAUL to another Stealership to have their way with me. Thanks for input I ain't a tech and don't know jack about the electrical stuff on later evo era Harleys. all I want to do is ride the bike without having it go into the same routines again especially late night on outback roads where cell phone won't work.

·
Retired citizen
25,840 Posts
One thing I noticed, you state the bike has a Thunder Max installed. Try uninstalling that program, the engine can run without it. Also does the Thunder Header have O2 sensors installed ?

Also H-Hog start your own thread for your bike and ask MODs to move these OPs posts to the new thread. Easier for us that are posting when readback checking previous posts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts