Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I don't like it. EZ warned me and he is right. There is a pronounced clunk, shifting is very notchy and it is difficult to find neutral. The bottle says for engines, transmissions and primary gearcase. The parts guy at the dealer said they use Syn3 in all 3 holes from the factory on CVO bikes so I thought it should be fine. I will be pulling it out today. I think I will see about 85w90 synthetic for the trans. Maybe lose a HP or two but I like a smooth tranny. Like buttah.

If someone can't come up with a good sheman joke out of this post.....

·
Registered
40,799 Posts
I use Mobil-1 synthetic 75w 90 in my transmission. Pretty easy to find.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I will be pulling it out today.
Can you be more specific? Then again don't bother.

Maybe lose a HP or two but I like a smooth tranny.
You would love the westside of NYC theres one on every corner. (rimshot)

How did I do Mike?

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you be more specific? Then again don't bother.

You would love the westside of NYC theres one on every corner. (rimshot)

How did I do Mike?
Very good, it's nice to see someone read the whole post. :D

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my opinion the synthetic 20W-50 is ok for the motor, but not the trans.
That was my initial instict but the parts dude talked me into "the good stuff".

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
...I don't like it. EZ warned me and he is right. There is a pronounced clunk, shifting is very notchy and it is difficult to find neutral. The bottle says for engines, transmissions and primary gearcase. The parts guy at the dealer said they use Syn3 in all 3 holes from the factory on CVO bikes so I thought it should be fine. I will be pulling it out today. I think I will see about 85w90 synthetic for the trans. Maybe lose a HP or two but I like a smooth tranny. Like buttah.

If someone can't come up with a good sheman joke out of this post.....
I thought I read somewhere, (Had to have been on the internet) that the MOCO does not recommend Syn3 for the transmission anymore.

I could be wrong as I don't have time to read all the oil threads.:D

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought I read somewhere, (Had to have been on the internet) that the MOCO does not recommend Syn3 for the transmission anymore.

I could be wrong as I don't have time to read all the oil threads.:D
That may be true. It is still printed on their bottle and the parts dude hisself recommended it.

I never thought about this being an "oil thread" :eek::eek::rofl:

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gonna try Red Line V Twin Transmission Synthetic.

I'll keep those of you riveted in anticipation updated.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Farming!

OK, if Harleys are supposed to be the industrial machines of motorcycles, the agricultural equipment of choice :p- then I suggest this....take some of this "good stuff" and put it in the tranny or the final drive of one of your large trucks you get over there, and make a comparison...:eek:
I think just the thought of such an excercise will result in the same conclusion!:rofl:

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, if Harleys are supposed to be the industrial machines of motorcycles, the agricultural equipment of choice :p- then I suggest this....take some of this "good stuff" and put it in the tranny or the final drive of one of your large trucks you get over there, and make a comparison...:eek:
I think just the thought of such an excercise will result in the same conclusion!:rofl:
Good thinking. Making a lubricant choice based on symantics is the proper way to do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts