Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shop manual for my dyna wg. states to use nothing short of a 10 micron oil filter. That said,why is the dealer pushing the 5-micron filters (premium) on us @$14.00 apiece...WOW!
Is that 10-micron filter twice as good and where can i find those?...thx's

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
A 5 micron filter is better than a 10 micron filter for particle size.
The smaller the number,the finer the filtration.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Sorry wasn't done typing and hit replay. But I am ASE certified and ACDelco and Motorcraft trained 25 years. At one training/parts info meeting by ACDelco I was thinkin I was smarter than the engineers they was saying use there filter. I said why brand X filter had this much better micron filtering so this is better. After the rep listened patiently he explained that smaller micron filtering not always better. Get too small oil won't flow through filter and will instead be bypassed through the bypass valve as to not starve the engine of oil. Egg on my face! So I guess I didn't know more than the engineer. They design the filtering to do the best filtering possible without being bypassed. So after that little schooling I say stick with what factory specs are. Don't have to use OE but stay with brand that meets spec.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,331 Posts
Spot on AA

·
Registered
39,572 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
The H-D filter is 5 micro or 10 micro or 30 micro....it's all in the way it's tested. At different times the test standards have been different. That said, any filter, listed by the manufacturer as suited for the application, is fine for H-D, or any other bike/car.
Just saying..................

·
Registered
39,572 Posts
The H-D filter is 5 micro or 10 micro or 30 micro....it's all in the way it's tested. At different times the test standards have been different. That said, any filter, listed by the manufacturer as suited for the application, is fine for H-D, or any other bike/car.
Just saying..................
So you're saying filter sold by HD 63731-99A is identical to 63805-80A?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Some reading; ww.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28883/oil-filter-ratings

As you can see, without a better description of "5 micron" or "10 micron" or "30 micron" they can all be the same filter. Just depends on the test specifications.

·
Registered
39,572 Posts
I understand that, but HD 63731-99A is NOT identical to 63805-80A

There have been many problems with EVOs running the 63731-99A filter.

And TC motors need higher filtration capabilities that the 63805-80A does not provide.

Saying "The H-D filter is 5 micro or 10 micro or 30 micro....it's all in the way it's tested." isn't quite true....

·
Wayward Son
23,320 Posts
Just a side note.
A very tech savvy Friend experienced flow, oil pressure problems when switching to a 5 micron on his SUV. It dropped.
I can not tell you the type of filter, or what is recommended for his vehicle. I do know it stated the filter would work for his engine.
He was using the proper weight multi-viscosity syn oil.

So there seem to be exceptions to every rule. :dunno

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
MoCo states the 63731-99A is an upgrade for any H-D engine that uses 63796-77A, 63805-80A, 63812-90 or 63813-90. That goes for the chrome 63798-99A also.
I use the dash 99A filters for all big twin EVO and TC oil changes, never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I recently did the oil on my bike, an 02 Road King classic and the manual called for a 10W40 and their premium 10 micron filter. I went to the dealership for the oil and filter and they only had 20w50 and the 5 micron. I bought the filter and held off on buying the oil. I checked the HD website and they didn't even offer 10w40. I suspect at 12 years the specs have changed.

FTR, I used Amsoil 20w50 synthetic and the HD 5 micron filter. Amsoil was pushing their own filter. I figure either was good enough to sit for the winter.

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
There we go, dredge up a 6 year old thread to discuss (among other things) OIL !
Keep searching, there's 3000+ other threads on oil related issues !
IMO, use the Harley Super Premium oil filter, Bk or Chr.

Reactions: ARIZONA MISFIT

·
Registered
9 Posts
I replied to this "6 year old thread" because people are apparently still reading it, and
it's 114 degrees in Phoenix and still to friggin hot to ride. The information I was passing
on here is that when people are talking about oil filter microns, smaller isn't always better.

They should also be looking at the efficiency of that filter, at that micron level, to pass oil
through it without becoming to restrictive. There is more to the design of an oil filter than
just how small the particles it can catch are if it doesn't allow the right amount of oil to flow
through it in the first place to provide sufficient lubrication to that very expensive engine.

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. The oil and filter pros and cons have been covered to death over the years in this and the other Harley forums.
The 5 micron filters were introduced with the TC engines way back in 1999. Those filters saved a lot of TC engines too ! 1999 cam bearing failures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hell Schmidty, you didn't hurt my feelings Bro. I know the oil / filter opinions
have been beat to death over the years (I've been riding 40) but I'm bored
so stuck here on this damn keyboard instead of having my face in the wind
because at 114 degrees, that winds a blast furnace. Just thought it would be
nice if people took into consideration that there is more to oil filters than micron
sizes.
I'm retired too with a very shiny '19 Ultra (13th bike) in the garage wondering where
the hell I'm at. Another 6 weeks and Arizona will be looking at 8-9 perfect
months of riding weather !!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts