Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , I suspect this has been talked over before but here goes.
my mate has a 07 dyna with 20, ooo miles on it and is looking at replaceing the steering head bearings.
any advice please or tips to make the replacement good
also I just bought a 2014 street bob and looking at getting a jack, sifting through the forum I noticed talk about a "dorsal fin"
what is that?

·
Done
4,154 Posts
At 20,000 miles, is this needed? My Street Glide manual calls for 50,000 mile intervals for removal, inspection and lubrication. Otherwise, adjustment at 25,000 miles and lubricate every 10,000 miles.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I don't know what the dorsal fin references.

Is he having a problem with the front end? Why would he change the bearings?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
On the brake side of the bike on the frame near the oil pan there is a small flat pice of bar stock. Looks like a small shark fin, hence the name dorsal fin. Not sure it serves any purpose except to sell jack adaptors, because it is just the right size ro interfere with just about any standard jack.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My question too is why would he replace the bearings at 20,000 miles. Did they get damaged somehow? Mine's got over 100,000 miles and 27 years on the original bearings and just this summer I disassembled and greased them for the first time. They showed no sign of damage or wear. The grease wasn't even in that bad of shape for it's age, although maybe this could have been the 2nd re-greasing instead of the first. At 20,000 unless there's an unusual problem, I'd leave them alone and not take the chance on creating a problem by doing something wrong.

·
Retired citizen
23,369 Posts
The dorsal fin bracket under the trans is a reinforcement for the frame and also protects the trans pan from damage due to bottoming out on curbs etc.
A piece of 2X4 under the opposite frame rail will allow the bike to sit on a jack level. Also the dealer sells hard rubber frame rail adapters for use with jacks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that had a look at the lower frame and now see the dorsal, but why? Cant seem to figure out why thats there I think it would have been better having a tube instead but hey ho guess hd know better than me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts