Harley Davidson Forums banner

Head gasket

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  WiSeNhEiMeR 
#1 ·
Replaced head gasket now hearing a pretty good knock any ideas. Only thing I can think of is push rods

#2 ·
Left a socket in the jug

#6 ·
I would buy Harbor Freight Mechanics Stethoscope (maybe $6) to find the Knock. It will tell you if it's the Pushrods. If you hear nothing from all 4 Pushrods putting the Stethoscope on the Pushrod Covers then try the Heads, Nothing heard from them then Put it on the Cylinders... I would almost be you it's one of the Piston Rods, the bearings are gone and the Knock is the Rod hitting the Crankcase.

I installed a Revolution Performance 85cc Big Bore Kit, Found the front Piston Rod on the Fly-Wheel wobbling but not bad. Finished it up rode it 4,000 miles and it finally went Knocking like crazy. Tore it apart and sent it to S&S for a New one. In Transit UPS dropped the Box and busted the Crankcase. Well you cant get another one (It's Obsolete) so I had to purchase a S&S Super Stock Crankcase (WOW it's Good) and they talked me into upgrading from the Stock 4-1/4 to the 4-5/8 Flywheel, It's now a Stroker, that Flywheel jumped the Horse Power to 100hp, came off the assembly line a little over 69hp Stock. It now runs like a Rocket. It was a Easy job.

#7 ·
did u replace a thick cork or silicone gasket with a thin copper gasket? if so the valve may be hitting the head......... clearances must be maintained take off head, line valve location with soft clay put head back on [2 or 3 bolts] turn motor 4 strokes by hand remove head see if valve left imprint, [happened to my 39 servi rear head] take head and grind to accept valve clearance where clay is impressed or put same type gasket back on to raise height of head on barrel never know what ya dont know ya know craze

#8 ·
If you removed the lifters and then installed them back in the bike, you might have put them in a different spot than where they were originally. Everything wears in (or out) together. Likewise with the pushrods. Also make sure they’re in correctly. There should be an arrow on the lifters, and I believe it should point to the right side of the bike.

#9 ·
IMHO - Pushrods do Not knock ... they click or clack

If the noise you are HEAR'ing is related to the Head Gasket change / replacement ...

Either the Head Gasket was the Wrong / Incorrect one (thickness, etc )
or
the parts got reassembled in the wrong spot(s) as was suggested above

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.