Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the back of the headlight on a FLH, which terminal is the ground?

n This representing the terminal configuration.

If the top of the "n" is terminal is #2( I think low beam), which side is the ground?
I don't want to take off my outer fairing just to check this. Hoping someone knows or has their fairing off.

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
In your service manual there should a schematic/wiring diagram that may tell you.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it does tell me terminal numbers and wire colors. However, the connector I have is not numbered nor are the bulb spades.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish?

I believe the center one is the ground. If I was home I could verify, but I am still at work.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have my old headlight from my SG that I am installing into my snowblower project fairing. I want to wire up the low beam only because of wattage limitations. Not sure which terminals are which. Once I know which is the ground I can figure out the rest.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yes it does tell me terminal numbers and wire colors. However, the connector I have is not numbered nor are the bulb spades.
Don't you have a multimeter. If you touch the center with one lead and a good ground with the other you should get a an ohm reading. or a volt reading.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't you have a multimeter. If you touch the center with one lead and a good ground with the other you should get a an ohm reading. or a volt reading.
At work I have a meter. Was hoping to just get an answer here without taking it to work. No biggie, I'll just take it to work and ohm it out.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Sorry bro. Still here....lol

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
You should be able to test the terminals with a meter in just a minute or two. The ground terminal will have continuity with ground on the frame or battery. The other terminals should not have continuity to ground. The low beam terminal should have current all of the time and the high beam terminal should have current when the high beam is on.

Pete

Looking at the back of the headlight on a FLH, which terminal is the ground?

n This representing the terminal configuration.

If the top of the "n" is terminal is #2( I think low beam), which side is the ground?
I don't want to take off my outer fairing just to check this. Hoping someone knows or has their fairing off.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I was just being lazy and looking for quick answer. I'll take it to work tomorrow and get it straight.

·
Just Ride
3,458 Posts
Use a battery or charger to light the bulb. You'll figure it out from there.

·
Just Ride
3,458 Posts
Is center up or down?:confused::D:D:D:D

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking from the back, the left side is negative. The right is high the center low.
This is what I thought and that's what it is after testing with a battery charger. Ohming with a meter showed no discernable changed in resistance.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
You would need a very sensitive ohm meter to tell the difference! Most common meters can't resolve that difference.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
As usual, I'm late to the party. If you're just wiring up the low beam filament on the sealed beam, it really doesn't matter which way you wire it. Just put power on one terminal and ground on another until the low beam lights up. You have a 1 in 3 chance of getting right the first time and no harm if you don't get it right on the first 2 tries. The filaments are non-directional. It's like using a test light. It will work in both directions.

--

1 - 17 of 17 Posts