Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Road King with the CVO two bulb Headlight system. Is it possible to program the Computer to allow the Low Beam to stay on when the High Beam is activated?

I am replacing the bulbs with LED so the Heat should be less. Question is would this be too much Heat for the Light Assembly to Handle.

·
Poser Member # 99
18,137 Posts
most systems are based on amps to many amps equal to much heat . on the wires . Its great your going Led but if you switch it so both were on. If some one bought your Bike down the road and switched it back it would burn up the wiring and Alt windings possibly . Why are you trying to Blind drivers coming at you with both Elements Lit...................

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would forget LED and go right to HIDs. Custom dynamics makes a great setup for new models. I have the kit in my 2014 street glide and it's plenty bright, and both hi and low can be kept on at the same time.

"Whatever it is, it's better in the wind"

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
I would forget LED and go right to HIDs. Custom dynamics makes a great setup for new models. I have the kit in my 2014 street glide and it's plenty bright, and both hi and low can be kept on at the same time.

Jopagocks,

I need to know what product from Custom Dynamics are you referring to? I didn't know they have HIDs. I tried a HID kit and it didn't do it for me. Sent it back and got the Truck-Lite LED headlight and driving lights for my Street Glide. Can't say for sure that these are better but the HID system isn't good for a motorcycle since the headlight comes on with the ignition switch and the HID's ballast strains itself, dims the light with the starter. IMHO, ballast can't last very long under those conditions.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
most systems are based on amps to many amps equal to much heat . on the wires . Its great your going Led but if you switch it so both were on. If some one bought your Bike down the road and switched it back it would burn up the wiring and Alt windings possibly . Why are you trying to Blind drivers coming at you with both Elements Lit...................

Not trying to blind anyone. I would like the Flood of the Low Beams on while the Lazer like High Beam is on. When you go back to low Beam the High should go off.

I got my LED lights installed tonight and there was a big difference on Low Beam but not High Beam. High Beam is too narrow and not muck farther than the Low.

These were from Cycle Light Solutions out of Draper UT. I bought them at the Lone Star Rally in Galveston.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Jopagocks,

I need to know what product from Custom Dynamics are you referring to? I didn't know they have HIDs. I tried a HID kit and it didn't do it for me. Sent it back and got the Truck-Lite LED headlight and driving lights for my Street Glide. Can't say for sure that these are better but the HID system isn't good for a motorcycle since the headlight comes on with the ignition switch and the HID's ballast strains itself, dims the light with the starter. IMHO, ballast can't last very long under those conditions.

Sorry, HIDs are from SoCalMotoGear.com, not custom dynamics. Here is the link...

http://www.socalmotogear.com/Harley-Dual-Bulb-HID-LED-Conversion-Kit-p/hdbhk.htm

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I have the leds on three of our bikes and would not trade them
I ride to work a lot on foggy mornings and on low beam there great
and on back roads at night the high beams really light the road and shoulder up I like them a lot

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
Ha, that's where I got the HIDs that I eventually returned. Didn't find them helpful and didn't care for the wait time for the HIDs to get to full brightness. Also didn't like the dimming of the HID when starting the engine (straining the ballast) LEDs are the way to go.

Cages are now starting to get them as standard lighting. They must be the wave of the future?

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Have both HID and LED on different bikes. Like both systems. HID brighter, LED simpler. If you have access to a 10 amp diode, you can wire it from the high circuit to the low circuit, so it passes current in the high beam direction to the low beam, but not the other way around. This can be done, right at the headlight so no modification to the bike is needed.

H circuit ----->|------ L circuit
___________diode
A five or six amp diode would be enough, said 10 amp for safety margin.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a 14 Road King and went back to the dealer and had my driving or auxiliary lights programmed so the stay on when i turn the high beams on and love it alot better cause i work at night and ride home about 3-4am

1 - 11 of 11 Posts