Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 Ultra Classic. I got 2 different headsets. One for my wife for full-face helmet and mine a 1/2 helmet. Now when I plug mine into the front and hers into the back it all seems to be good. We can both hear the radio, she can hear me, but hers is not working when she hits the PTT. When we switch them around everything works just fine. Mine works with the PTT (in the rear) and hers (up front) the PTT works. But when we put them switch them back her PTT (the rear) does not work again.
Anyone out there know what I can to fix this problem???

·
Registered
138 Posts
How old are the headsets and are they the same brand? I am thinking that her set may be the older one and over time there's just enough wear on either the (plug?) pins or the socket (female pins), that if you use hers... then there may not be a good enough contact to make the PTT contacts on the jack work.

The other issue may be that (If) they are different brands the pin sizes may be very slightly different again not allowing proper electrical contact... or... the headsets could have different resistances in the circuits and load it down - unlikely though!

Another alternative, You may want to clean the PTT contacts in the switch housing or wiggle the cable to see if there's a broken conductor and when they're installed you may have a different angle or tension on the cable in the plug to enable the conductor or contacts to be made.

Food for thought.... and good luck!

Aussie Ads

·
Banned
71 Posts
I have a 06 Ultra Classic. I got 2 different headsets. One for my wife for full-face helmet and mine a 1/2 helmet. Now when I plug mine into the front and hers into the back it all seems to be good. We can both hear the radio, she can hear me, but hers is not working when she hits the PTT. When we switch them around everything works just fine. Mine works with the PTT (in the rear) and hers (up front) the PTT works. But when we put them switch them back her PTT (the rear) does not work again.
Anyone out there know what I can to fix this problem???
Are you switching headsets or just the cords ????

·
Banned
71 Posts
I got her a new cord from HD. Tried switching both the cord and headset.
Ultra Headset DIN Plug Pinout:
Looking at the 7-pin connector with the index groove in the connector at the twelve o'clock position, the bottom pin is #2. So clockwise from the index groove the pins are #6, #1, #4, #2, #5, #3, #7.

6 is the shield/ground (one o'clock position)
1 is the microphone input (three o'clock position)
4 is the microphone ground (five o'clock position)
2 is the speaker ground (six o'clock position)
5 is the left speaker positive (seven o'clock position)
3 is the right speaker positive (nine o'clock position)
7 is the handheld PTT (eleven o'clock position)

Make sure sockets 1,4,&7 are tight as you can still get the pins to plug into .

I'm thinking its the plugs on the headset itself that need to be tightened .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts