Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2000 1200 sporty and my rear base gasket has started seeping. Not but a drop or 2 for every few hundred miles, but I know it will only get worse with time. My question is when I tear into it to replace the gasket would doing mild headwork and possibly new pistons with a bump in compression render it pointless with the stock cams? I would rather not spend a ton on it right now and Im going to be out of the country for a while so it wont get ridden any for about a year or so and that makes me not really want have too much downtime. So what would a mild port and polish and 9.5 or 10 to 1 compression run like on stock cams? Appreciate it guys.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2000 1200 sporty and my rear base gasket has started seeping. Not but a drop or 2 for every few hundred miles, but I know it will only get worse with time. My question is when I tear into it to replace the gasket would doing mild headwork and possibly new pistons with a bump in compression render it pointless with the stock cams? I would rather not spend a ton on it right now and Im going to be out of the country for a while so it wont get ridden any for about a year or so and that makes me not really want have too much downtime. So what would a mild port and polish and 9.5 or 10 to 1 compression run like on stock cams? Appreciate it guys.
Really no need to do anything right now but ride it. If it starts to spit oil , then think about tearing it down.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome. Thanks. Any recomendations for budget cams that would play nice with just a mild port an polish without any relibility concerns? I have been looking at andrews cams but first hand experience is always better than articles on the web.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
I had a set of Andrews in a sporty that i had. Can't remember the part #, but they were the 555 cams. They ran great and really woke that bike up. But I think you would also have to do some work with the valve springs to accommodate the lift. Either way Andrews are good cams. IMHO.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There was a guy locally on craigslist that is selling a set of andrews N6s for 200. Would they be a good option? I cant find much info on them. Im not looking to get 115 hp out of it anytime soon. Just a bigger smile from time to time and Id like to not have to go through it more than once if I can avoid it. I appreciate the help guys.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I highly recommend Dave Mackie Engineering for head work and cam recommendations. go to his website and he has various price listings. If you are going to do head work, replace cams at same time. No need to worry about the seep right now. Save your money and do it all at once.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. One more question though. Is squish with base gaskets really a concern? I havent heard of it being a problem with any other engine ive worked on but I read about it being a problem with these. Never being all intimate with the insides of this type of engine before I am not sure. Id hate to pull it all apart yamabond the base gaskets on and then slam a piston into a head with shiney new parts inside.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Andrews cams are noisey.......take my word for it. But they do the job. As far as squish, don't see a problem. My motors been gone through twice, cometic gaskets are the way to go. james and stock work nicely to. Stay away from Kieth black pistons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts