Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 CVO Fatboy and I am trying to change to a heal toe shifter but the shaft only holds one shifter. Anyone have any ideas? Can the shaft be switched out for an extended one?

Thanks!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
I am sure somebody makes one where you just slide off the toe and slide on the heel/toe.
Do a search.
I hated mine and removed it from the Ultra.

·
Registered
37,000 Posts
I am sure somebody makes one where you just slide off the toe and slide on the heel/toe.
Do a search.
I hated mine and removed it from the Ultra.
Theres a couple companies that make a single width combination heel toe shift lever, but HD doesn't make a double width splined lever that accepts separate heel + toe shifters for Softails as far as I know.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Why not use a heel/toe shifter off an FXDP? My '04 Dyna FXDP has one as standard equip. It's one-piece, & doesn't require extended shaft, is HD OEM part.

·
Registered
37,000 Posts
Why not use a heel/toe shifter off an FXDP? My '04 Dyna FXDP has one as standard equip. It's one-piece, & doesn't require extended shaft, is HD OEM part.
The splined shaft part are different lengths, and shaped differently.

Takes some fabricating to get a double length spline on a Softail.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think its the same length splined shaft,the spacer is longer on the single shifter....I took my heel shifter off my slim,had to buy a different spacer

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Aah! Maybe that's the difference between a FX and a FL Softail.
It could be, but the Fatboy is a FL. I was wondering why the heal/toe was not on the bike already.

It seems that many take them off, but I actually love it. I have gotten so used to it, I am not sure I would enjoy riding without it. It's just easier for me.

Plus, I know this will sound pansy, but I also like it because I can wear nicer boots to work, and it will not wear a spot on the top of them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For some reason the CVO Fatboy did not have one. Most of the Fatboys I have seen have the heal toe. I ride my bike a lot to work so I am trying to keep the shifting from marring my shoes. Thanks for the help guys! I will look into finding a smaller spacer! :)

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Thanks everyone. Most Fatboy's have heal toe. Not sure why this CVO model didn't. I ride a lot to work and am trying to keep my shoes from getting messed up.

Go to Cycle Gear they sell these covers for your shifter to keep your boots/shoes scuff free.

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
My '95 FLSTN had the heel/toe shifter. Being an almost ancient dirt-biker, I hated it, so I removed it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts