Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my bike from its initial 1000 mile service and all was good. Service manager did a great job explaining all that was done which I greatly appreciate considering the cost. I do plan on doing my own servicing from here on out. It was an extra $25 do use synthetic for all of the fluid changes so I opted for that. He said that the oil is a 5000 mile oil but he suggested looking closely at the oil around the 2500-3000 mile mark. If it looks like it needs changing, then do so. He knows I was doing my own service so money in his pocket was not the issue. What he does on his personal bike. Is he being too cautious or am I? Here in Lubbock heat is an issue so I am wondering if that might be why. I do ride 3-4 times per week and have put 1400 miles on it in less than 4 weeks so cold start/short rides won't be the issue. Sage wisdom would be appreciated!

·
Wayward Son
23,862 Posts
Heat is really not an issue with synthetics. But dust and dirt are.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Synthetic oil, or any oil, isn't judged by color. Myth....

Change the oil in a diesel, and it's black in 100 miles again.

Synthetic oil is designed to last longer for many reasons, but if you;re going to change it every 3000, than save your money. In reality....you'd be wasting it.

I change my engine oil with synthetic every 4000.

Trans every 10K with 75w140 synthetic.

Primary, ever 8000 miles with .....whatever I throw in there that day. Mostly Mobile-1 synthetic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How do people feel about using Rotella T6 synthetic for the crank oil and primary?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
T6 works fine for the engine, not the primary. If you are going to use an engine oil for the primary, it needs to be wet clutch compatible.(I.E. motorcycle oil)

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,117 Posts
Typically, I'll change oil and filter around 3K, I never go by looks, if I've been running a lot of slab, I'll stretch it a bit, if lots of short trips then I'll change it at 3K. I run synthetic, as Dave stated, I am wasting my money, but if we ever get heat, I want to make sure the engine is running as cool as possible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Searching this site it seems that I'd be happy using Mobil 1 V-twin oil. Seems that several use it in all three holes. I need to be able to do these oil changes as I commute with the bike and would be in the shop every 2 -3 months. The other thing is that I live in Phoenix and traffic back ups in the summer my shorten the oil's life even more. Would like to go 5000 miles between changes and I think the synthetic should allow for this.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,854 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 V-twin since day 1 and have over 42K trouble-free miles on the bike. Oil change is at the prescribed 5K intervals, and according to the "experts" I have had these discussions with at the local refinery lab, I could probably stretch it out longer if I wanted to with no ill effects. I'm not willing (yet) to try that experiment.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
If you are riding 5 k in 2-3 months, then you could use any "good" oil and change it at that interval.

Mobile 1 would be excellent. You could even go further if you wanted.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Since I don't ride as much as I would like I change mine @ 2500 and use full syn. What ever the service manual says I cut it in half. Just makes me feel better.

·
Registered
41,392 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 V-twin since day 1 and have over 42K trouble-free miles on the bike. Oil change is at the prescribed 5K intervals, and according to the "experts" I have had these discussions with at the local refinery lab, I could probably stretch it out longer if I wanted to with no ill effects. I'm not willing (yet) to try that experiment.
An oil analysis from Blackstone Labs would tell you how much life is left in your oil when you change it.

Blackstone Labs

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you are riding 5 k in 2-3 months, then you could use any "good" oil and change it at that interval.

Mobile 1 would be excellent. You could even go further if you wanted.
I think I am leaning towards the Mobil1 V-Twin oil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts