Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to get the heat shields powder coated and it hold to the heat ? I'd like to get them done and possibly do the slip ons too . Cheaper than having to change the whole exhaust to have it black .

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
:nod
Or a cheaper way is DIY.
Scuff the chrome with 320 sandpaper.
Use a good quality high-temp paint and follow the direction closely.
Some need baked in an oven. Others can be cured by reinstalling on the bike and allowing them to heat up that way.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Yes they can be done. How it holds up will depend on the prep work and how well they clean the parts before coating.

I had the tips powder coated from my CVO Ultra mufflers and they turned out great. I've put about 5000 miles on the bike this year with no problems from the powder coating yet. (knock on wood).

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
:nod
Or a cheaper way is DIY.
Scuff the chrome with 320 sandpaper.
Use a good quality high-temp paint and follow the direction closely.
Some need baked in an oven. Others can be cured by reinstalling on the bike and allowing them to heat up that way.
^ This

I'll try and find the pics of the Sporty I did this to. Held up for 2 years before I sold it to get another bike.

-Rohan

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Some more detail on prepping the pipes.
Wash them thoroughly. A dish washing detergent should be fine. You want them almost sterile. No wax, grease, road tar, what ever.
Dry with a lint free towel.
Sand with the 320 grit. Wipe down to remove all dust and grit. I like tack clothes.

Maybe even wear some playtex type clothes during and after the washing. You want to keep your body oils off of them as well.
Then follow the directions on the high-temp paint of your choice.
I like VHT. But any quality one will do.

Remember. The devil is in the details. But the finished product will be so worth it.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Would it need a primer or just the paint ?
Just the paint.
I think some brands of paint offer a high-temp clear coat for the finishing touch.
Never used it. Was very happy with the shine from just the paint.

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
The H-D black engine paint would work well, even the black wrinkle paint. The heat cures the paint.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Not looking for a shine , more of a flat black
Then what SCHMIDTY suggested will work well.
Other brands are available in flat black too.
Pretty sure HD does not make their own. But not sure who does so HD can relabel it.

Though as with many things branded HD. Price may go up a bit.

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
You can use some high temp clear over them as well and it should seal up nicely. Liking that Cummins sitting there too btw.

-Rohan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts