Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a HD Heated Jacket Liner. I tried it out last weekend with temps in the 40s. I was very surprised at how well it worked. I removed the liner from my leather jacket and replaced it with the heated liner. It felt like when you take a shirt out of the dryer when it cuts off and put it on. The heated liner is made for HD by Gerbing. The Gerbing website has a lot of different heated gear. Looks like my DX won't be sitting still much this winter.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Steve... Good call!

Years ago I saw a post from someone recently buying heated gear and he noted, "What took me so long". This pushed me off the fence and I can also now note the same.

There are times I know someone is seeing me on the road with temps in the 30's and they're thinking "He must be freezing" when reality is "I'm cooking!" :)

Yes, there's something about getting the bike out on a sweet winter's day ride, and gear like Gerbings can make it possible.

Hey, has the DX met your expectations after your long wait?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought a HD Heated Jacket Liner. I tried it out last weekend with temps in the 40s. I was very surprised at how well it worked. I removed the liner from my leather jacket and replaced it with the heated liner. It felt like when you take a shirt out of the dryer when it cuts off and put it on. The heated liner is made for HD by Gerbing. The Gerbing website has a lot of different heated gear. Looks like my DX won't be sitting still much this winter.
Go get the gloves also. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve, yes the DX has without a doubt. Sometimes I miss the low rpm torque and sound of a big twin. But the DX is awesome. The bike handles so well you just feel as though you are part of the bike. The DX sure draws attention at any stop.

Now I have the heat I will ride all year around. I did before the heat, but sometimes it was painful and too short of trips. I am going to order the gloves and the dual thermostat. As the old saying goes "the only difference between men and boys are the price of their toys." At 52 years old I don't want to sit and wait for the tempature. Now I will just dial in my own. Really it is the best money spent.

Steve

QUOTE=sfarson;11245]Steve... Good call!

Years ago I saw a post from someone recently buying heated gear and he noted, "What took me so long". This pushed me off the fence and I can also now note the same.

There are times I know someone is seeing me on the road with temps in the 30's and they're thinking "He must be freezing" when reality is "I'm cooking!" :)

Yes, there's something about getting the bike out on a sweet winter's day ride, and gear like Gerbings can make it possible.

Hey, has the DX met your expectations after your long wait?[/QUOTE]

·
1,077 Posts
I got the gloves and jacket liner first, a year later picked up the pants liner and socks. 13 degree ride to work was no problem. Only thing is the extra time it takes to suit up in the morning, don't like getting up 10 min. early when I already get up at 2:55am.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Steve, yes the DX has without a doubt. Sometimes I miss the low rpm torque and sound of a big twin. But the DX is awesome. The bike handles so well you just feel as though you are part of the bike. The DX sure draws attention at any stop.

Now I have the heat I will ride all year around. I did before the heat, but sometimes it was painful and too short of trips. I am going to order the gloves and the dual thermostat. As the old saying goes "the only difference between men and boys are the price of their toys." At 52 years old I don't want to sit and wait for the tempature. Now I will just dial in my own. Really it is the best money spent.

Steve
Good to hear Steve. You know... After more experience with the thing, and if you recognize it is a higher revving liquid cooled engine between the knees, the '07 five speed is fine with it. It is meant to cruise at 4K. Every high octane twin engine I've ever owned would have its sweet spot at this RPM. No different with the DX. Big twins... 2500 RPMs. VRSC.... 4000 RPMs. This thing is a hoot on fast highways isn't it?

Would echo the heated glove advice above. With fingertips really the only part of me getting cold in the winter, I would opt for the gloves before the jacket, but together it is a great combo.

·
BatRod
502 Posts
I used the heated stuff this morning on the way to work. 42F on the V-Gauge. I have the Gerbing jacket liner and overpants, as well as a couple types of gloves. I mounted the thermostat in my horn cover.
A couple of observations:
1.) The glove liners should be worn reversed to what they say. This puts the wires on the outside, instead of under your hand against the grip. Also, the liners can be put on, plugged into the liner, the wires tucked away, before you put on the jacket. They leave enough hand mobility that you can still fasten helmet, turn on X-M radio, etc, before you put on outer gloves.
2.) If you have engine guard chaps, you don't need to plug in the pants. There is enough heat coming back from the radiator to keep your feet toasty, down to about 35F.
3.) Get some Zook for your glasses. My (new - thanks Okie) Schuberth helmet visor doesn't fog up but my glasses do. An application of Zook takes care of that.
4.) The indicated voltage on the V-Rod drops from 13.9 to 13.7 when I run the system. No problem there.

Attachments

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
Do-it-yourself heated clothing?

I found interesting instructions and the materials list for adding heating wire to your existing jacket liner, chaps, or glove liners.

Here's the Internet BMW Riders site...
http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/heatedclothing.html

The author suggests 26 gauge nichrome wire, I found it on Ebay for $5 per 100 feet. He says 4 6' strands for a vest, 1 6' strand for each glove and 1 6' strand for each boot liner, so 100' should be plenty.

·
BatRod
502 Posts
Gerbings sells some knit glove liners that plug into the jacket, liner or supplied harness. The wires are wound along one side of the liners. Although they say to place the liners against your palm, I prefer them against the back of my hand. I don't remember what I paid for them, but the good thing is they pack pretty small when not needed. The Gerbings heated gloves are HUGE. I need them on the way to work, but seldom on the way home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts