Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
On the loose
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondering if anyone has a preference of one over the other. I'm looking at aftermarket grip heaters that look like there inserts that either go in the ends of the bars or directly under the grips. From snowmobile experience inserts aren't as good as grips with built in elements.

I've never tried heated gloves , not sure how bulky or how well they work. Cost is about the same either way.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I dont have the heated gloves, but a guy at work got the gerbings and loves them. We ride to work in the 30's and 20's and he says they keep his hands warm. They also heat the top where I am told (and it makes sense) heated grips don't help.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
I think heated grips is probably one of the best things you can have on a motorcycle. You can wear thin gloves and crank up the grip heat and have nice even heat throughout the hands.:nod

·
On the loose
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think heated grips is probably one of the best things you can have on a motorcycle. You can wear thin gloves and crank up the grip heat and have nice even heat throughout the hands.:nod
This is what I had on my snowmobile , liked not having bulky gloves. I have the ISO grips and haven't found a heated version for Harley , just bar inserts.

·
Rookie for life
929 Posts
I have both Gerbings gloves and factory heated grips.

The gloves are very bulky and my hands tend to sweat in them. The liners then stick to my hand and pull inside out upon removal.

The grips get HOT and work well though regular gloves, but they don't heat the back of your hand.

I only use the heated gloves in the coldest weather.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
TGPNW
640 Posts
Heated grips are good or some weather conditions but are limited, they only heat the palm of your hand. Heated gloves are superior to heated grips for heating your entire hand. Yes Gerbings gloves are a little bulky feeling at first but after a few times using them this is not an issue.

My experience with Gerbings heated gear spans 10 years (have heated insoles, pants, jacket and gloves) has been outstanding and they are guaranteed for life. I have had several items replaced for free (pants and jacket)

It all depends on what your trying to accomplish. Headed grips are good for some and a nice add to your ride.

·
On the loose
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess the difference between Bikes and sleds is , on a bike your not exerting much effort to ride.

Where as a sled , if your riding , your using alot of body english to keep it from flipping in the corners or slopes and with good gear ( non-heated ) you generate lots of body heat, I stayed warm , even sweated @ 10 to minus 10 deg , just having toasty grips was enough on a sled.

Don't think I'll see much below 20deg riding , by then it's usually snowing so maybe I'll opt for grips 1st and add gloves if it's necessary.

Those wind guards look like they would help if you don't have a faring.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,315 Posts
I have the heated gloves, but have never had to hook them up to the battery. Have ridden in mid 30's and was comfortable. For a ride longer than 2 hours, I would probably plug them in.

The bulk is not really a problem unless you want to thread a needle. In the old days I had the Harley Arctic Mittens (no fingers, much like a boxing glove)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Heated grips are great for riding all day and night with summer gloves and if fitted right don't add noticeable bulk to the bars. The grips don't cover the finger tips or back of the hand and even with winter gloves this brought me to a halt to thaw out after riding a couple of hours in -10C + windchill. At that stage you might want heated gloves and grips! Grips for convenience and gloves for ultimate protection.

Andy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts