Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals.....
Anybdoy have this problem? I have a size 14 foot, and with my boots on, my foot doesn't fit between the heel and toe pegs. I resorted to removing the heel lever. Is there an extender, or longer lever I can purchase so my foot fits? :feedback:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Harley makes an extended Heal Toe shifter. Both are one inch longer, so you pick up a total of two inches between.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... I'm not sure that would be enough. My toes are all the way under the front peg just so my heel is clear of the rear shifter peg. Maybe I'll have to look for someone to make me a longer rear arm.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I wear 14 - I remove the rear shifter and put the front arm down parallel with the floor board - this allows me to rest my boot next to the shifter or flat anywhere on the board for comfort. all my boots have the soul atleast 1/4 inch larger than the boot - if you notice most brands have this anyway. when time to upshift I just slide my boot to the right - my soul slides under shifter allows me to upshift easy without a big reach. when time to downshift I have a short reach to get over the top of shifter = very comfortable and much faster when needed. give it a try

·
Registered
234 Posts
I Don't wear14 but have trouble similar, I raised my toe shift for room but now have to lift my foot a lot,wide feet,to shift. I Think I'll try that trick good idea!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Rayz. I have size 14 as well and I have tossed more than one heel shifter into the weeds. I like to be able to move my feet around a bit and the heel shifters always got in the way. I rode a buddies Yamaha Royal Venture last summer as we traded bikes for a few miles and on that bike the heel shifter is quite a bit further back and I could actually use it. However I have ridden for so many years without using a heel shifter that the old brain would take a lot of reprogramming. If anyone wants a heel shifter for a Harley I should have a few laying around somewhere.

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
Rayz. I have size 14 as well and I have tossed more than one heel shifter into the weeds. I like to be able to move my feet around a bit and the heel shifters always got in the way. I rode a buddies Yamaha Royal Venture last summer as we traded bikes for a few miles and on that bike the heel shifter is quite a bit further back and I could actually use it. However I have ridden for so many years without using a heel shifter that the old brain would take a lot of reprogramming. If anyone wants a heel shifter for a Harley I should have a few laying around somewhere.

Pm sent.

I always just pitch my toes our beside my toe shifter. If I need a change of position I can slip my toe under my front shifter.

Have you thought about kuryakyn floor board extenders? It'll move your feet out beside your shifters some more, although I'm not sure how much. I don't have first hand experience with them.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Check harleygoodies for floor board extenders . Move em out & forward .

·
Registered
1,634 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Never been a fan of the heel shifter

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Never been a fan of the heel shifter
I find I don't use it at all. Its not in my way or anything, I just got accustomed years ago to using just a front one so that when I got the Road King last year I just never use it.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
When I was making the switch from my Super Glide to my Street Glide I test drove a Street Glide and immediately knew that the heel shifter had to go when I came up exit of the dealers parking lot and my foot was stuck under the shifters. I (or the dealer) was really lucky I didn't drop the bike.

I never even drove the SGS I bought with heel shifter in place.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Hmmm... I'm not sure that would be enough.

Holy eff, Sasquatch!...I mean, Iceman!!! Two additional inches won't cut it?! (That's what she said, by the way.)

I like the idea of the extended levers. I wouldn't want to do without. Good luck.

·
Standup Philosopher
196 Posts
I keep my size 14's on top of the toe shift peg. Heel to upshift, toe to downshift. Adjusted the lever close to the floorboard. I did get a peg extender for the toe, and an extra-wide brake pedal too.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
Damn! You boyz got some big skids!

You could get a jockey shifter. You trim those toes back...my wife works for Zimmer, they make body parts. She might be able to get you a good deal on some smaller, scratch and dent feet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the heel shifter back when I had a VTX it worked great then and used it all the time. Got my 05 Electra Glide and it seems that it is set back too much to be comfortable using so I just don't use it. Like the idea of removing it to clean up the look a little and then lowering the toe shifter a little to not have to lift my foot so much to down shift. More stuff to add to the winter to do list .

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hey guys and gals.....
Anybdoy have this problem? I have a size 14 foot, and with my boots on, my foot doesn't fit between the heel and toe pegs. I resorted to removing the heel lever. Is there an extender, or longer lever I can purchase so my foot fits? :feedback:
I rode for years with a heel / toe shifter and I never rested my foot under the toe or on the heel. I always rested my foot on the floor boards and moved them as needed. When I worked for a Honda Dealer we had the contract for San Antonio Police Department's Gold Wings. All the cops had floorboards and heel/toe shifters. They tended to really stomp hard on the heel and even really force the toes down when taking off fast. As a result they were always bending the rods and wearing out the stem and bushings where it entered the engine. Knowing this I never had the problem with over 115,000 miles on that bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts