Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I followed a link posted by sfarson....Hi, Steve! I've been enjoying peeking in this snowy afternoon.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ahhhhh yes. Kansas. Perhaps if I had the time to get off of I-70 my memories would be fonder of traversing the state on the way to the Rockies. I do highly recomend Gutierrez Mexican Restaurant in Hays for dehydrated, hungry, windburnt, saddlesoared, fatigued riders. You can't get a bottomless glass of lemonade anywhere in Ohio!
Anyway, welcome. (I like the solo seat.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahhhhh yes. Kansas. Perhaps if I had the time to get off of I-70 my memories would be fonder of traversing the state on the way to the Rockies. I do highly recomend Gutierrez Mexican Restaurant in Hays for dehydrated, hungry, windburnt, saddlesoared, fatigued riders. You can't get a bottomless glass of lemonade anywhere in Ohio!
Anyway, welcome. (I like the solo seat.)
There does seem to be a lot of complaint that the prairies of western Kansas/eastern Colorado run on for an inordinate number of miles. <g>

I've been back and forth across the state on every east/west highway, and while I-70 will get you through quickest, it's probably the least attractive route. Most folks riding through are in a hurry to get to the Rockies. Can't say I blame 'em!

Thank you for the welcome,folks!

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Genia.. pleased you've stopped by!

Quick question -- Knowing you've been back and forth on most east - west routes in Kansas, and with me in Colorado increasingly pointing my two wheels eastward, what routes do you favor? I enjoy riding through and stopping in small Kansas towns, but experience is limited to I-70, 96, and 50.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live between hwys 96 and 50 on the CO/KS border. IMO, the prettiest route across northern Kansas is hwy 24. Hwys 160 and 166 across southern Kansas include the interesting geology of the Gypsum Hills Scenic Byway:

http://ksbyways.org/gyphills/index.html

Not east/west, but the Flint Hills is a pretty ride:

http://ksbyways.org/gyphills/index.html

Kansas doesn't have the grandeur of the Rockies, but I'm fond of this quote:

"The mountains shout their glories, as do the oceans, but the Plains whisper to us and we must listen to hear their beauty."

Ping me if you're headed this way and I'll buy you a cuppa on your way through!

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Good links. Will look into them. Have heard 24 was nice and Clement Salvadori in an article noted the delights of 160 across very southern KS. If you're between 96 and 50, I've probably passed not too far from your place.

I once pulled over in Rush Center on 96 (Not far from Great Bend) at 2:00a on a cold night with a bike in the enclosed trailer. Hoped to get a few hours sleep. Some dog did not like me parked in the small town and barked without ceasing for at least an hour. I finally got the message and continued west!

This winter, I can relate to that snow image. :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This winter, I can relate to that snow image. :(
Old timers here swear they've never seen this much snow. I know I haven't. About six more inches of blowing snow the last couple of days drifted us shut again. Should be out by this afternoon, and next week they're predicting a warming trend!

The prairies should be spectacular with lush, green grass and wildflowers this spring, and we should have good crops for a change!

Enjoy your travels through Kansas. There are some beautiful old courthouses and churches, especially through the central part of the state.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Before this winter I couldn't imagine it either! This is bizarre for the arid Plains. If I enjoyed snow like this I'd live where sfarson does. <g>

Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Welcome!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts