Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 20 years without a Harley, I went out on what would have been my 28th anniversary (last Friday) and bought a 2015 Heritage Softail:

I had been looking at Harleys for the past year, and I finally decided to go for it. It's a good way for me to clear my head, or at least it will be when I become more confident with the bike. My first bike was a 1994 Sportster, which I only had for a year and a half. My wife was happy when I let it go, the primary reason I sold it. Since she passed a year ago, I felt it was time for another.

Besides being new to the forum, I am also relatively new to the South. (North Carolina is still considered the South, right? :) ) I have been in the utility industry for 33 years as an operator, electrician, and an engineer - all but one of that in nuclear - including the Navy, 25 years at San Onofre (Southern California), and now at a research group in North Carolina for the past year after San Onofre shut down in 2013.

I am hoping to learn more about my bike and places to ride in my area. For the past year I really haven't gotten out much and am still trying to adjust to being alone, and hopefully this will help me work on that. Day rides are what I'm looking for at the moment, and I think North Carolina should offer many beautiful places to explore as I break in the Softail and me.

David

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Glad you are here David. We needs more daves..... (Inside joke you WILL understand as time goes on)
Thank you for your service. Sorry for your loss of your wife. Hope to meet you done the road.
Nice bike!

·
Old Scooter Tramp
1,367 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wife, you have my sincerest condolences.

Welcome from SW Oklahoma! Hope to meet you at one of the collisions sometime.

Love the Scoot, you will too....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fellow Dave - being that you are just up the road from me, we very well may meet up one of these days. Virginia is a state I would like to visit.

Thank you for the sentiments. I'm trying to move on with life (hence the Harley) but in describing myself I still talk about my wife. We were just shy of our 27th anniversary when she passed at 49 years old - much sooner than we anticipated - so it will take a while to heal.

However, it is good to be riding again - even though the North Carolina rain has limited me to less than 100 miles so far. The rain doesn't make for good riding weather, but they sure could use more of it in California. Southern California was a great place to ride, but I don't miss the $200/month water bills!

David

·
Registered
831 Posts
eaglewolf1

:welcome
Glad you joined us.
Sorry to here about your Wife.
Beautiful Harley.
Not a bad looking auto in the background either :)

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky and my condolences regarding the loss of your wife. Cruising on a Harley is definitely good therapy. Enjoying the scenery and shifting gears busies my physical senses and lets me relax mentally, if that makes sense.

I haven't made it to your state yet but I intend to later this year and from what I can put together with maps and Internet info you are in some really good riding country, especially West of you in the Smokies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
eaglewolf1

:welcome
Glad you joined us.
Sorry to here about your Wife.
Beautiful Harley.
Not a bad looking auto in the background either :)

Yeah, that is a total bachelors garage, isn't it? (The vehicles, as well as the mess!)

Actually, the Vette was my wife's daily driver while I drove a Honda Accord. I gave up a 1997 Camaro SS so she could have that, but she was worth it. I still drive the Accord, but now have the Vette for my fun car in addition to the Harley. (Sometimes speed is what I need!) The Vette is 9 years old (and the Accord is 10) which makes the Harley my most valuable mode of transportation at the moment.

I was just looking up places in NC to ride, and the Tail of the Dragon and the Blue Ridge Parkway look like good possibilities that are not too far away (~2 hours or so.) I love the area around the Smokies, though some of the drivers are nuts around there! I want to make a trip to the coast as well - I spent too many years living on the Left Coast to not check out the Right Coast!

David

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
I was just looking up places in NC to ride, and the Tail of the Dragon and the Blue Ridge Parkway look like good possibilities that are not too far away (~2 hours or so.) I love the area around the Smokies, though some of the drivers are nuts around there! I want to make a trip to the coast as well - I spent too many years living on the Left Coast to not check out the Right Coast!

David
I have been "Internet researching" the areas you mention. But...., the more I research the less inclined I am to ride the Tail of the Dragon. Appears to be, at least on weekends, too crowded and too many idiots. But I'm looking forward to the BR Parkway, and especially the Cherohola Skyway over to Tellico Plains, TN. Lots and lots of other good roads all around that area and lots of good motorcycle friendly places to spend a night.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Welcome from Central NY, sorry about the loss of your wife. If your looking for a ride check out the Collision post on this form.
I also am a Dave.

·
Registered
99 Posts
cool C6

Yeah, that is a total bachelors garage, isn't it? (The vehicles, as well as the mess!)

Actually, the Vette was my wife's daily driver while I drove a Honda Accord. I gave up a 1997 Camaro SS so she could have that, but she was worth it. I still drive the Accord, but now have the Vette for my fun car in addition to the Harley. (Sometimes speed is what I need!) The Vette is 9 years old (and the Accord is 10) which makes the Harley my most valuable mode of transportation at the moment.

David

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from College Station, TX.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome from central Michigan.

Just north of the southern terminus of the Blue Ridge Parkway is a town called Maggie Valley, home of Wheels Through Time museum. It's primarily dedicated to motorcycles, but also cars. It's a great way to spend half a day!

Ride safely. (and I concur with Louisville Joe, avoid the Dragon on week-ends!)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Welcome from East Tn. Sorry about your wife, came close to losing mine last year but thank God she's still with me and doing great. Like you I'm about 2 hours from the Dragon but most people I know say weekday rides are safer. As far as North Carolina being in the south, matter of opinion.

Enjoy The Ride

:biking:

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
Welcome from SE Oklahoma!!! Lots of great ppl/info on here!!!
Beautiful bike and thank you for your service!!! I'm sorry for the loss of your wife and I hope to shake your hand on the road some day.
Look up our spring Collision 3 coming up on June 13th in Eureka Springs. It's a great get together of the brotherhood we've all found on this forum!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts