Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I joined yesterday at the behest of @lesblank.

I have been riding since 1980 at the age of 15 when I bought two bikes for dirt racing: both were 1968 Ossa 250s. Since then I have had 32 bikes under my bum, with many being dirt bikes. Besides the bike that now brings me here, I currently have three other bikes at the house; 1982 XS650, 2006 Stratoliner with 123K miles and a Triumph Rocket III Touring with 89K miles. The two Yamahas are offline at present so what is one to do, go buy a Harley.

And that is what brings me to this forum. I decided to buy a new bike. Triumph has stopped making the big touring cruiser I have now and appears they will not make another. The current R3s are fun as hell for sure, but they do not meet my needs. The big four from Japan have also ended their run of big touring cruisers without a fairing. So, I narrowed the list to just five others: BMW's R18 Classic, Indian's Super Chief and Springfield, and Harley-Davidson's Road King and Heritage.

All five are quite worthy for sure, but I have to cut them down to one. The first two I removed are the Heritage and Super Chief. They are excellent competition for each other and if they were the only two left, I would go with the Heritage. It has a bigger tank and bigger bags. But alas, neither bike is big enough to carry me and all my work gear when I am on the road so neither make the cut.

Next to go is the R18. Of all these bikes, it has the best feel off the line. Its bags are big enough for my lunchbox and other goodies, but it does not come with a luggage rack. They don't even make one. It does not come with engine guards either and if any of these need them the most, it is the bike with big jugs sticking out the sides. It does have the most price incentives for a guy like me, but once I source the few things it must have, it is on par with the Road King in price.

I love the look of the Black and tan Springfield. But no one on the East coast have any though. I can order one and it would come in sometime in September. And talk about sticker shock. $27K+ out the door. I have to pass on it.

That brings me to the FLHR Road King. July 23, I bought one down in Orange, VA. Due to many factors like the pandemic, they are hard to find and only five exist on showroom floors within 250 miles of my house. HD only offers the standard in three colors, luckily the dealer had one in the fastest color, black. My Pretty pillion was along with me and gave me a gremlin bell so I could have a safe ride home.

I look forward to many miles with the FLHR under me and hope to add something to this group as life unfolds around us all.

Boog
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Clothing Smile Watch Muscle Organ

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome from Alabama. I also was looking at the RK but decided on the heritage. The king is bout 80# heavier and another 2G with same engine, plus it didn't have cruise control, so I'm real happy with this View attachment 813400
Good morning brother. I really do like the Heritage! Out here though, I can only find them with the 114cu in engine which brings the cost up quite a bit. HD does not add the engine guards on the 2022 models either, at least not in my area. My FLHR did come with cruise control so a bonus there. You have a great looking bike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome from the capital city, RIC. I have 132k on my 2012 RKC only because I am too busy to ride it more.
I love to see that kind of mileage on any bike. Do you have a thread detailing your mods, repairs and thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts