Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - Im glad to be part of your group.

I just got my motorcycle license andam looking for my first bike which will be used for weekend tooling around on the country roads. Mostly it will be just myself but occasionally I may have a passenger. I really like the look of the Harley Davidson Heritage Classic, but every time I sit on one I feel like it is too much bike for me. So, I’ve tried a few Dyna Super Glide Customs and think this is a good bike to start and grow into.

I am going to get a used bike but I cant tell how old I can go. What I mean is, I’ve seen 2012 bikes for around $12k+ but not the right combination of colors and features I am looking for. I have also found a 2005 model with only 5,000 miles on it that appears to be in perfect condition for about $7,000.

Am I better off with the new bike because:
- a 10 year old Harley is going to have more problems
- Parts are not readily available for the older model
- Accessories I may want to add (e.g. windshield, saddle bags, back rest, etc.) are not available for the older model

And a very specific question, is it a straight forward procedure to move the pegs, clutch and brake pedals from the forward cruising position to the center of the bike? I’ve seen a few for sale with these forwards controls but I prefer them to be under me.

Thanks for taking the time and any thoughts are greatly appreciated

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Moving pegs.

Yes, they make conversion kits for both directions. If you buy a bike with forward controls and want mid controls usually forwards are more desirable so I bet you can sell the old ones for a good price.

Age: parts availability... Don't worry about it. The twin cam is essentially the same since 1999 and most parts otherwise on the bike are pretty close. The parts will be around for a long time.
Hell, you can get parts for old Harley from the 70s and 80s all from dealers or good aftermarket sites... No issues there.

Personally I would stick to 2007 or newer. They pretty much cleared up the timing chain tensioner issues the older twin cams had and the 6 speed trans was introduced that year prior so you have overdrive which is sweet.

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,289 Posts
Welcome from the South end of Owasco Lake

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the decision to finally make the move, sounds like you have done some good research so far. There are some pretty good deals on some older bikes too so it is always a tough call. You can get good deals from private parties but there is always more risk. As a new rider, also, have you taken a motorcycle saftey course? Often they let you ride their bikes so you spend some quality time on a bike in different manuevers. If you can take one, I highly recommend it because it will give you a different perspective on what you are looking for.

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
Welcome from KY. All good advice above. Let me point out that even though a Heritage might feel very big now, after one afternoon of riding you will find it very manageable.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Welcome from Western NY! !

Where are you from?? I would test ride some bikes, and go from there. The bike will seem big at first, but you will find it very maneuverable once you get moving.

·
Registered
226 Posts
welcome from Heavener, OK. gate way to the OUACHITA MOUNTAINS. I would go with a heritage, you may never out grow one. in my opinion a excellent all around bike!. ******

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
Welcome from Conway, SC.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from College Station, TX.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Plenty of good folks and good information here.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Welcome from North Texas
As far as the age question... I think you know the answer already. A bike can be 15 years old but kept well, serviced and maintained properly, and runs like new. On the other side... You can have a 2010 model that someone beat the crap out of, never changed oil, or serviced, and will run like crap. Take your time, shop wisely, and use common sense, you will be fine. As far as the Heritage fealing too big, I bought a sportster thinking I should start small. I have had the bike 10 months and I'm trading it in on a Heritage this Saturday!
:bikerguy:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Oklahoma; Mandog. You’ll find what you’re looking for. Excellent, knowledgeable folks here with tons of information posted by people that have been there, done that & got the t-shirt.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Welcome from Kansas

1 - 20 of 20 Posts