Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New rider from Queens, NY. Also a noob to Harley Davison motorcycles.
Riding an Iron 833.

Decided to join the Forums for 3 major reasons.

1. The HD dealership quoted me insane prices for routine intervals maintenance.
So I may need help with some maintenance information to work on the bike myself.

2. Need help finding out why I have a mysterious hole underneath the primary case. (not the Primary oil drain nut, but further in the middle from it). Not sure if this is normal or if I got burned when bought used. Will make a separate thread on this if no one replies here. Bike does run though.

3. Find fellow riders here in the metro area.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota! There is a primary chain tension adjuster underneath the primary as well. There should be an inspection plate that you can remove and check for chain tension/slack. I would invest in a Genuine Harley-Davidson Factory Service Manual as well so you can save yourself money and work on your bike yourself. It will pay for itself in no time! Stay away from Haynes, Clymers, Chiltons, etc. service manuals.

"H-D" stands for Hundred-Dollars - which is what it seems like everything costs at a minimum!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome from Minnesota! There is a primary chain tension adjuster underneath the primary as well. There should be an inspection plate that you can remove and check for chain tension/slack. I would invest in a Genuine Harley-Davidson Factory Service Manual as well so you can save yourself money and work on your bike yourself. It will pay for itself in no time! Stay away from Haynes, Clymers, Chiltons, etc. service manuals.

"H-D" stands for Hundred-Dollars - which is what it seems like everything costs at a minimum!
Thank you for your welcomes and quick reply. Okay so to pick your brain further. let me post a picture because I do not believe it is another inspection area for the chain.
Please confirm.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Thank you for your welcomes and quick reply. Okay so to pick your brain further. let me post a picture because I do not believe it is another inspection area for the chain.
Please confirm.
View attachment 791956
View attachment 791957 View attachment 791958 View attachment 791959
The inspection plate I was referring to would be on the side of the primary cover and to the left of the derby cover. It would be attached using two screws (with o-rings) and many times is brushed aluminum in color and about three inches long (kind of rectangular in shape). I was just curious if you pulled that inspection plate, how much free play you have in your primary chain.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Riding an Iron 833.

So I may need help with some maintenance information to work on the bike myself.

2. Need help finding out why I have a mysterious hole underneath the primary case. (not the Primary oil drain nut, but further in the middle from it). Not sure if this is normal or if I got burned when bought used. Will make a separate thread on this if no one replies here. Bike does run though.

One post about any subject will be show up on the "What's New" page. You can jump there by clicking on the little cloud button "New" at the upper right of your screen (near your emoji). Making multiple post of the same subject just makes it confusing to fallow and clutters up the board.. Not griping at you, just trying to convey the easy way to get answers and fallow others. All new comments and threads will show up on the New tab, in the order they are posted since the last time you viewed the page. This keeps things simple with how the site works.
Again, welcome aboard, from SoCal.

Reactions: NYWolf

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One post about any subject will be show up on the "What's New" page. You can jump there by clicking on the little cloud button "New" at the upper right of your screen (near your emoji). Making multiple post of the same subject just makes it confusing to fallow and clutters up the board.. Not griping at you, just trying to convey the easy way to get answers and fallow others. All new comments and threads will show up on the New tab, in the order they are posted since the last time you viewed the page. This keeps things simple with how the site works.
Again, welcome aboard, from SoCal.
Thanks. I will see if I can find a way to delete the duplicate posting with less activity.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The inspection plate I was referring to would be on the side of the primary cover and to the left of the derby cover. It would be attached using two screws (with o-rings) and many times is brushed aluminum in color and about three inches long (kind of rectangular in shape). I was just curious if you pulled that inspection plate, how much free play you have in your primary chain.
I intent on doing the primary service today. So I will let you know afterwords how much slack the chain has.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Riding an Iron 833.

Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Thanks. I will see if I can find a way to delete the duplicate posting with less activity.
No need to go that extreme! The moderators can blend em' all together, if they so choose.. I was just informing you, for future reference.. (y)

Reactions: NYWolf

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I intent on doing the primary service today. So I will let you know afterwords how much slack the chain has.
I found the easiest way to measure the slack, is by using a dial or digital caliper. This worked well for me viewing through the inspection port. So there was no need to remove the primary cover. The fun part is rolling the rear wheel (in gear) to roll the chain to its highest tension point. Then measure, I measured from the upper edge of the window (insp. port) to the lower part of the chain. Mine started making a clatter when engine breaking, the chain was about 1/3 of a turn (on the adjuster) too loose.. Easy fix!

·
Registered
579 Posts
I found the easiest way to measure the slack, is by using a dial or digital caliper. This worked well for me viewing through the inspection port. So there was no need to remove the primary cover. The fun part is rolling the rear wheel (in gear) to roll the chain to its highest tension point. Then measure, I measured from the upper edge of the window (insp. port) to the lower part of the chain. Mine started making a clatter when engine breaking, the chain was about 1/3 of a turn (on the adjuster) too loose.. Easy fix!
Or you could install an automatic primary chain tensioner and be done with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had plan to use measuring tape to measure the slack, similar to what I saw on a video from delboy garage on YouTube.
Hoping I wouldn’t have to adjust it lol but, I should research how in the event the slack is out of spec.

I won’t be able to work on the bike today though. Will have to wait until the weekend.
The bike is just shy of 7k miles.
So I want to get the 5k interval out the way and then will do it again at 10k to keep it on track.
Other then the 5k interval. Additionally, In order of importance I need to change;
1. Rear brake pad
2. Fork oil (just have a hunch that no one has changed them since it rolled out the assembly line)
3. Bleeding front and rear brake fluids.
Then after, the Iron should be ready to go by the time the weather warms up.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Had plan to use measuring tape to measure the slack, similar to what I saw on a video from delboy garage on YouTube.
Hoping I wouldn’t have to adjust it lol but, I should research how in the event the slack is out of spec.

I won’t be able to work on the bike today though. Will have to wait until the weekend.
The bike is just shy of 7k miles.
So I want to get the 5k interval out the way and then will do it again at 10k to keep it on track.
Other then the 5k interval. Additionally, In order of importance I need to change;
1. Rear brake pad
2. Fork oil (just have a hunch that no one has changed them since it rolled out the assembly line)
3. Bleeding front and rear brake fluids.
Then after, the Iron should be ready to go by the time the weather warms up.
Hmmm...just the rear brake pads? I guess the previous owner never used the front brake. Splurge and do the fronts too. I'm waiting for spring too. Ride safe.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.