Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I got the message about being new and the need for a proper intro... :)

My name is Patrick. I am 53 and in the process of ending a 28 year marriage. Ouch. I have always dreamed about riding a Harley, and now seems to be the perfect time. As soon as the house sells, I'm ready to take the plunge.

My only experience riding was 35 years ago, when I rode my brother's dirt bike and used it to get a motorcycle endorsement on my drivers license. I have not been on a bike since. In those 35 years, my younger brother has gone through a few bikes, and now has an an Electra Glide. He is looking forward to riding with me. Quite a step up from that Yamaha 125!

I am planning on doing this thing right - riding course, safety gear - the whole nine yards. The bike I have my eye on is a Dyna Super Glide Custom. I hope to do some long distance riding this summer - through the Blue Ridge mountains, and then out west through Yellowstone and into the mountains. I am a freelance photographer and want to do some photography along the way. Not having traveled farther west than Chicago on the ground, I look forward to the opportunity to explore, and to photograph, this amazing country.

Of course, I keep looking at the bikes, and just last night started looking at the Fat Bob, and thought for a little more money, I would be getting dual front brakes, a bit heavier bike, and .........

Decisions, decisions. I will have to try them both out. I hear the bike is going to pick me. I am ready!

Come on, spring! Being in Ohio, with its long winters and short summers, I must be patient... Before you know it, it'll be warmer and the snow will be a distant memory...

Looking forward to conversations with you all. I am glad to be here!

Peace -

Patrick

·
The other white meat
2,214 Posts
Welcome from North Carolina. Sounds like you got a great plan! I chose the Fat Bob. I love it but it's my style of bike and I knew that before purchase. Try and ride as many as you can to find one that fits you the best before buying. I knew what I wanted and it worked out just great. Enjoy the forum and thanks for the great intro.

·
Adding Miles
545 Posts
Welcome from NS Sparky. Good luck in your choice making. You will be happy on any Harley - just have to find the one that speaks to you.

Lots of great advise on anything Harley here. Lots of fun as well.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Welcome from Hmilton, Ontario.
A tip, if you are going to be doing serious travelling, especially carrying photographic equipment, look at a touring model. I fyou don't like the fairing bikes, look at the Road King. The hard bags on the Road King standard are so handy, you will never regret the extra money. Or buy a used 2009 (to get the new chasis) if money is a big issue.

I carry a laptop with me, so I can't do without my hard bags.

·
Back in Black!
597 Posts
Welcome to the forums from Kentucky.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome guys... I am anxious to learn and share.

Sure sounds like I need to take a hard look at the Fat Bob. I will try them both.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chris,
I wondered about the touring models. I will have a laptop and camera equipment. I just thought I could not afford them. Good suggestion. Thx.

·
0 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee and I understand your situation. I divorced my first wife on October 11 of '95 and bought my first Harley on November 15 of '95 and haven't looked back since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am trying to look forward - to the open road.

Thanks for the understanding, wndchsr2

·
0 Posts
I understand completely, been there done that and for me it was the best thing I ever did. Good luck with your choices and what is up ahead.

·
The Old Curmudgeon
1,138 Posts
Nice intro and welcome from Illinois. If you can swing it, you might want to try to cut a deal while winter has it's grip. The prices generally go up in the spring when the buyers come out of hibernation.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Welcome. I would try and swing a touring model as well. You'll be glad you did. Where are you in Ohio? My wife is from Elyria, just outside of Cleveland. Go Browns! Yeh I know,I know.

·
Have gun,will travel
3,242 Posts
Welcome from Kandahar!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
doorgunner - I am looking, but can't swing it until the house sells! And it's not a good time for that, I know...good advice - they seem to be dealing now...

stonecold - I am from Canfield, near Y-town.

Paladin - thanks for the welcome.

BTW - for the armed services guys - - -My middle son is in Army ROTC at Ohio State. He will be the battalion leader for the spring quarter. I am so incredibly proud of him and all he has accomplished so far. He has his sights set on Special Forces. He is ARMY Strong. I have so much admiration for him and all the armed forces. Thank to all of you.

·
Registered
343 Posts
welcome from the hills of tennessee,i didnt ride for over 20 years but it dont take long to get up to speed just drive defensive and know the car or dog will do something stupid its nature.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Welcome to the forum Sparky. You'll love the trip west, Yellowstone is my favorite NP, no....maybe the Grand Canyon...well Glacier is nice and so is Yosemite. All are great, even more so from the back of a Harley!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts