Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i am relatively new to the forum only posted a few times. anyways, i am finally ready to buy a harley. the one i am thinking about buying is a 2003 harley 1200cc sportster. However, it is not an anniversary edition. I am going to check out the bike tommorow. My question is, did they make non-anniversary edition 1200 sportsters in 2003? The design on the gas tank looks like a standard design i see on all the 96-99 sportster 1200s. also, please take a look at this craigslist listing (Link listed below), this is the bike i am going to check out. please tell me your concerns with anything you see and any tips. so excited to finally get a bike. i got the old "Permission" from the fiance to get one as a wedding present sort of thing. lol

Harley Davidson 4000 obo Sportster 1200

·
Registered
38,848 Posts
That is either an aftermarket tank, or it's been repainted. It should have the Anniversary emblems whether it is an anniversary model or not.

(Having the anniversary emblems, doesn't necessarily make it an anniversary model)

I can see why he omitted them as they are $94 each.

Looks like the tank emblems are off of a 1996-2002 sport model.

Also, the fenders have been repainted to match the tank.

All the chrome on the motor, oil tank, and fuse cover is not stock either.

I'd ask if it was laid over or wrecked.

If he says no, ask him for the original parts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow...i was going to go see this bike tomorrow. this guy must be lying through his teeth. so pretty much, its complete b.s. i am so glad i asked. i mean, even if the bike wasnt wrecked, i dont neccessarly like that he has done so much to it. i have heard alot of custom bikes just dont run as good as a stock bike if not built correctly. i really appreciate your help, seriously. thank you

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
there might be a reason the pictures are in a dark garage, behind his other vehicles.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gosh, might be stolen! well, either way i am going to call this guy in the morning. i will let you guys know how he responds lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update, the seller seems conveniently detained at the moment. Theres gotta be something weird going on. I decided not to go today, everything seems to shady.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Price seems kinda high to me. I got an '04 1200C with 6900 miles, HD hard leather saddle bags, windshield, after market pipes, and a few others for $3500. Blue book is or was $4500 so just shop around.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
48 Posts
It all depends on the area too. Out my way 883s go for 3500-5000 and 1200s go from 4500-6500. I got my 1200 for 3900 but it's a super custom job. It's perfect for me, but the guy built it to where only a special kinda person would want it. Keep shopping around look on Craigslist all around your state. Mine was 150 miles away, but I was looking up to 500 miles away! Your bike is out there!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts