Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the site and am already frustrated!

I may be new, but people, if you make a post for help, like in the Tech section, and you FIND or FIX your problem; do us all a favor, POST WHAT YOU FOUND OR FIXED!!!

End rant.

Sold the Deuce and picked up what I thought was a good deal, and now the ghost chasing begins!

2008 Road King Police Special with 3180 miles on it. I know, right! 3180 miles and it has issues? Since it has big fat beach bars and a couple other goodies on it, I shall start this electrical nightmare chase with the forward controls and work my way down.

Found some GREAT threads here on this subject, but nobody posted what they FIXED or FOUND. <<<<----- Big irritant! :bash

Curt

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,208 Posts
Welcome aboard from Mississippi.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Welcome from central Florida.

·
2,327 Posts
Welcome to the forum from New Hampshire

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the warm welcomes! :)

I found the problem. I guess I should say WHAT the issue was, first. Bought this Bike in Washington, and stuffed it in a U-Haul trailer and towed in back up to Alaska. Upon getting here, we unloaded at Harley (needed a ramp), and I drove her home. Ran like crap, RPM's were 'hunting', no main headlight, front marker/turn lights, no gas gauge/light, no neutral light, tail light, tail tip light, RPM gauge, MPH gauge.......... Uhhhh, did I miss anything? lol

Started to trace wires and all looked good. He (the original owner) said he put a new battery in it, maybe a ground is loose? On my way to check the Batt, I 'squeezed' the brain box connector, I heard the slightest, "Click". Hmmmmm..... Turn ignition on, all is good!

Seems it got a little bouncy on the trip up the Alcan! :) Fired it up and she runs beautiful! So much smoother than the old Deuce. My younger days are over; time to sit back and cruise! Wife and I went for a quick cruise, she rides a 02' Heritage Custom. So nice for us to be back riding together again; some of the BEST times!

Rubber side down!

Curt

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Glad you found it.
Had a weird problem with my sporty once, I even took the ignition switch out and checked it. Turned out the switching wire to the starter had come loose but went through almost every thing you could before I found it.
Very frustrating!!

·
Old Scooter Tramp
1,367 Posts
Glad it turned out to be something simple, maybe a pain to find, but simple.
Had a problem with my Heritage not wanting to turn over, it was sho nuff a pain. Thought I had it fixed a few times, worked good for a month or so and go right back. Finally found what was causing it...... Got my fingers crossed...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts