Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is jason,

I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hello! Also, i just want to add that i am not a harley owner yet but i am looking forward to the day i finally own one! I have been searching on craigslist and a bunch of different sources and it has become apparent to me that the type of bike i want might be pretty hard to find when you factor in my $3500 max budget lol.

I am about 6 feet tall, about 205 pounds. I have a question for you guys if you wouldnt mind. I found a bike, 1988 1200cc custom sportster. It is a beautiful bike!!! However, i am somewhat skeptical. The owner says he will come down to 3k on the bike, i might even try to get him to come down to 2600-2700. Now, why i am skepticle, he claims the bike only has 2000 miles on it. I have read claims about how odometors, especially on the old bikes, can be tampered with. Does this seam realistic? I have found a couple 1200cc sportsters that i might be able to get for like 3600-3700 that are 2003-2002. However, this older bike just looks cooler. Its a black bike with full chrome and looks great. I guess, i am also worried just about how old this bike is. Isnt a 1988 also a little old? And would the claimed miles on the bike make you skepticle? any help would be appreciated guys. thank you!

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,774 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma.

As far as the miles go, that isn't hard to believe. Lots of people buy a motorcycle, and then find out they don't enjoy it, or they're scared of it, or whatever other reason they find to not ride.

The price seems pretty reasonable, at least for the same bike in our local market. If you get him down to the 2600 to 2700 range I'd say go for it. That'll leave you alittle left over for other gear, and or upgrades you may want to do.

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is what the bike looks like...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Welcome from VA Jason

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Welcome from St. Louis. I wouldn't be surprised by the low mileage either.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
Welcome from northern Indiana. I just seen a used 1200 sporty on the street in the Portage Indiana area this past weekend for $2800. I don't know anything about it tho. Good luck with your chase.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Plenty of good folks and good information here.

That bike has been through some modifications: paint; front fender missing; pipes; turn signals; seat; possibly handlebars; perhaps more that can't be seen from the photo. Not saying that anything is wrong with it, but it is not in stock form. If you don't know much about sportsters, take someone with you that does so they can give you an honest assessment before you buy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys, thanks for the welcome and the info!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts