Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I am looking forward to buying a Sportsters i have been looking at but first i need some help.
It's a 97 1200
The battery is dead and when we hook up the charger to just try and turn over the motor something makes a load clicking noise around the starter. The motor is not locked up. I have worked on other bikes but have never ran across this problem.
Any help would be greatly welcomed.
Thanks (and hopefully a first time Harley owner very soon)
David

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have

we did clean them and the charger he was using one one of the charges that had the start on it
when he hooked that up it made a LOUD clicking noise right by the starter solenoid

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Regardless of what charger you are using, it won't start the bike unless the battery is charged. First, bench charge the battery until it is fully charged. You may have to replace the battery. Even with a new battery it should be bench charged before being put into service. Then, after making sure all wires, particularly the battery cables, both ends , are clean and tight. Try starting. The loud click sounds like the solenoid picking up, with out enough juice to turn over the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts