Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Harley Rider Academy riding course is next week! I need a helmet but I wear a 7 & 5/8" hat so I need a big helmet. Does anybody know a store in the Hampton Roads Virginia area with a good selection?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't know the stores in your area but Scorpion makes some 3X and 4X helmets. I too have a large head and their half helmet is the one I wear year round.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
My head is huge (you know for all those brains).

Akoury helmet fits great. Mail order, came very fast.

Plus, then you'll have a helmet just like everyone else on this forum.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would make the rounds of the various moco shops in your area. I'm pretty sure that each shop will have an assortment of different helmets, both style and brand.

I personally like the HJC full face helmets, as they're not outrageously prices, have all of the proper certifications, and they're comfortable. I have worn FULMAR and a few others as well.

Try on various helmets, and then go from there. I'm sure that there is a helmet out there that you'll both like and will fit.

Good luck

Exco

·
Indian Larry
9,197 Posts
I'd like to find a local shop that sold the Akoury helmets. I hate to order one without trying it on.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
I would make the rounds of the various moco shops in your area. I'm pretty sure that each shop will have an assortment of different helmets, both style and brand.

I personally like the HJC full face helmets, as they're not outrageously prices, have all of the proper certifications, and they're comfortable. I have worn FULMAR and a few others as well.

Try on various helmets, and then go from there. I'm sure that there is a helmet out there that you'll both like and will fit.

Good luck

Exco
I have an HJC full face also which I am very happy with and the price was right. I bought it at a Suzuki dealer where they had a large variety of helmets and brands. As mentioned above, it is DOT & SNELL APPROVED.
I also have a HJC 1/2 helmet I bought at the same dealer. This helmet serves the purpose for hot days, but don't think I would buy it again.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I'd like to find a local shop that sold the Akoury helmets. I hate to order one without trying it on.

I was lucky to go by their measurements and it turned out perfectly. Not disagreeing, just saying.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Finding a helmet that big is not hard. It'll be either an XL or XXL depending on the maker. I wear a 7 3/4 hat, and I have never worn anything bigger than XXL.

The bigger issue is that hat size doesn't tell the whole story. A hat is soft sided. it will form to the shape of just about any head. But, helmets will not.

One 7 5/8 head may be more oval and another more round. The two heads easily wear the same hat, but not the same helmet. Depending on the kind of helmet you want to buy, this can make a small or VERY big difference in comfort or whether you can even wear it. It doesn't matter a whole lot with half helmets, but it matter a TON with full face. 3/4 is somewhere in the middle.

The good news is that between the many manufacturers and models, most head shapes are accounted for. You just have to keep trying until you find one that fits. That's why buying local can help.

It also helps if you have someone that knows how to fit one. With full face and 3/4 helmets, people will almost always buy them too big unless properly advised otherwise.

Pretty good info here:

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/motorcycle-helmet-guide
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
There is a "Cycle Gear" on the north end of Norfolk. They generally have a good selection.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Thinking my head is about a 7 5/8. All my hats are XL.
I have a Skid Lid XL beanie when law requires. Not sure just what coverage you are looking for.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found a Fulmer helmet at Bayside Harley-Davidson in Portsmouth. The X10 model in 2xl and it fit like a glove. Didn't feel claustrophobic at all. The built-in sun visor is awesome. Got it on clearance for $60. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
There is a "Cycle Gear" on the north end of Norfolk. They generally have a good selection.
+1 on Cycle Gear. Always a good selection and much cheaper than at a HD dealer. I bought my Bell Pit Boss 1/2 helmet at Cycle Gear. Has a little adjustment wheel in the back so you can tighten or loosen the fit while wearing the helmet.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
I take it the dealership doesn't have anything in your size to try on...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts